husky 450 with problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up on a farm with a 621 Jonsreds and later several Stihls. All worked, but when it was time to buy my own personal saw I bought a 345 Husky.I had that for a few years then upgraded to a 350.Then I used the heck out of that for seven years and traded for a 353 this past summer.

I have thrown chains on all of mine.It happens .Usually from a broken chain for me .(your 450 is about the same as the old 350.)I love this size Husky for its great ergonomics and good power to weight.

When you get back to your 450 you will once again appreciate its light weight.

and yes you are right if the handling,power,and weight of this saw wasn't so good i would have abandoned the thing a while ago (they offered my money back when i took the saw in)

well well well looky what finaly showed up today just 5 days short of two months

3-5-10dad022.jpg

3-5-10dad023.jpg

Your gonne love it !!

now pay attention the maintainance details and have fun !! :)

just a quick ? to anyone that'll awnser do ya think i should cut a releif on the catcher to weaken it a tad or should i quit worring

Porting

When you decide to get around to porting the 450, take a read through this thread - http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=107976

It took a while to work out the Husky strato mods and what the 450 in particular needed, but the work has been done. If you think the saw cuts well now, wait until you do some mods! Widen the exhaust port and give it two more degrees of blowdown, clean out the transfer tunnel's entrances of the casting flash, make sure the transfer tunnel covers are positioned properly and trim the intake side of the piston skirt to 148-152 degrees.

I'll try and get some pictures for a seperate thread on 450 mods, including the easy muffler mod.

and yes you are right if the handling,power,and weight of this saw wasn't so good i would have abandoned the thing a while ago (they offered my money back when i took the saw in)

well well well looky what finaly showed up today just 5 days short of two months

3-5-10dad022.jpg

3-5-10dad023.jpg

The 450 is a nice little saw and well worth the wait. Best of luck with it. I enjoyed mine.

When you decide to get around to porting the 450, take a read through this thread - http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=107976

It took a while to work out the strato mods and what the 450 in particular needed, but the work has been done. If you think the saw cuts well now, widen the exhaust port and give it two more degrees of blowdown, clean out the transfer tunnel's entrances of the casting flash, make sure the transfer tunnel covers are positioned properly and trim the intake side of the piston skirt to 148-152 degrees.

I'll try and get some pictures for a seperate thread on 450 mods, including the easy muffler mod.

that is awsome that is kinda my idea for this saw once it gets run alittle

and please pm me on the muff mod

oh yeah i hope too take it out in the mornin and smoke the ol mans new ms260 pro

Muffler mod

This is my first attempt to post pictures on this forum, bear with me and give me any helpful hints.

The flow out of the muffler on the 450 is limited by the size of the outlet of the deflector. I ran the calculations on the size of the hole under the deflector and the size of the outlet of the deflector. The outlet had less area.

I opened up the sides of the deflector with a needle file and then lifted the top open so that it was flat on top (instead of being bent down). With the outlet opened up, the hole inside was now the limiting factor.

I then drilled three holes behind the hole and enlarged them vertically with a needle file. The reason for placing the holes at the back of the deflector was so that the flow of the exhaust would be towards the outlet of the deflector. If the holes were drilled in the sides the flow would cause a cross flow turbulence which would restrict the flow. Having them at the back also allows some dampening of the exhaust wave as the wave is traveling towards the front of the muffler from the exhaust port.

This mod should be all you need for a stock 450 as the total area is greater than 85% of the exhaust port.

In the other picture you can see one of the 'fishgills' I put on the sides. The 450 muffler has an indent on each side of the muffler. I cut across the top raised part at a diagonal on each side, then I pushed in the forward part of the raised section. These fishgill ports direct the exhaust down and out to the front. Further, I located them at the back of the muffler so that again the exhaust wave would not travel directly out the extra ports. It is a little louder with the fishgills, but still not too bad. This extra area will handle the flow from the enlarged exhaust port created during porting.

And now to see if I can add the pictures....

Well that didn't work. Bugger it, I'll at least post the text now before I loose it and then keep on trying to edit this post.

I can't seem to resize it to get it down to 300KB.

Last edited:
Pictures

Well, let's see how bad they came out. (Bloody new computer system, new camera, new software, irritable old man)

well took it out and run a few tanks through this mornin so far so good :clap:

well haven't been cutting much wood latley but what i have been doing i've been using the husky and it is performing well

well the farmin season is over so mabye i can get this thing and run it a bit lol

saw is running good

well the new husky is runnin so good i traded the 025 and 028 of on a top handle i guess that should say alot about this saw

but one question i do have is the op manual for the husky states top rpm is 9,000 WTF is this correct :jawdrop:can somebody either explain this or tell me what the real rpm is

The power peak is allegedly at 9,000 rpm.

The coil is limited to 13,000 and the carb is set on a stock saw for 12,500.

The power peak is allegedly at 9,000 rpm.

The coil is limited to 13,000 and the carb is set on a stock saw for 12,500.

ah i see i thought that seemed awful low

also i used your idea on the muffler mod it works great thanks

well been running the husky i still love this saw i did come across one little problem the screws came out of the starter cover got to get some new ones lol

Latest posts

Back