Husky 455 or Stihl MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My truck and with it one of my chainsaws was recently stolen.
My previous saw was a husky 40,
I use my fairly regularly limbing and felling, not enough to justify a pro saw though.

I want something that will pull a 20" bar on occasion.
Currently I'm looking at the husky 455 and the stihl MS 290. Not really partial too either brand except i do prefer stihl chain.

Not looking to turn this into a stihl vs husky arguement but what are the pros and cons of either saw?

Also if somebody could recomend a felling ax, splitting maul, and hatchet im open to suggestions.

I have the 290 I LIKE it will pull the 20'' bar it will go through the wood like butter. the 290 and the 455 have same power to run with the 20'' bar
Not saying the 455 wont last, but pretty much its all plastic, including the front handle, and even the plastic crankcase?
if it was me i will get the ms290 than the 455:chainsaw:

I'm a Stihl guy there's nothing better. I've ran a rancher hood saw. Went through a 40 inch oak np, but the stud nuts seem to come loose between tighting the chain. I've thrown a chain twice and the owner 3 times. Get the Stihl

Both saws will do what you want for a long time and take plenty of abuse. Both have a loyal following and plenty of good history.

Try them both and buy based on feel, price and dealer availability.

Truly a 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other situation . I have owned both ( but currently own neither ) . In my opinion one is not better than the other . Go with the one you like the feel of better , which one you can get the better deal on and which dealer you like . Alot of wood has been cut with both . The only nod I give to Stihl is in my area they usually have a little higher resale value .

I have the 290 I LIKE it will pull the 20'' bar it will go through the wood like butter. the 290 and the 455 have same power to run with the 20'' bar
Not saying the 455 wont last, but pretty much its all plastic, including the front handle, and even the plastic crankcase?

They're both good saws at the $400 price point. Both will effectively pull a 20" bar. Both use excessive amounts of "composite materials". What you need to base your purchase on is a good servicing dealer in your area.

I was considering both 4 years ago. The 455 was available at many location including the local Husky dealer. OTOH the closest Stihl dealer did not carry the 290 and he talked down the 455. I walked!!! Bought the 455 w/20" B&C from the Husky dealer.

If you're into saving money, consider a 455 refurb, about $100 off new, I got my 435R from VMInnovations.

I have both a 455 and a 310 (same family). Both saws are good hard working saws. I have seen both able to work harder as I have transitioned away from the stock chain to OREGON LGX and STIHL RS chain. THe new twist for the STIHL is changing the piston and cylander to a 390 P&C - again the same family of saws. I used the 310 stock for ten years with few issues. FOund the 455 on sale at Sears for $200 and just could not pass it up.

Bottom line - both will do the job you want them to do.

Hal

There isn't much difference between the Husky 455 and the Stihl MS290. The deciding factor should be the dealer. The dealer is what will make or break the deal. Get the saw from the dealer that you are most comfortable with. I have an MS290 and like it. My Stihl dealer is a good one and only 5 miles from home.

As for felling axes, I like my Stihl felling axe. For splitting the Fiskars splitting axe is pretty popular around this site. I use a hydraulic splitter myself.

I've heard this sort of thing alleged before, with no more believability.

I'll send you a crisp $20 bill if you can present credible evidence of a plastic crankcase in a 455r. (Tip: it's metal.)

You fail to mention that the 455r is a "strato" saw, with greatly reduced mix consumption and emissions; its AV springing is also a +.

Both will do the job, but a closer Husky example to the 290 would be the 460R, not the 455. There's almost a half horse power in difference. Weights are all with a couple of ounces of each other. Power to weight to price goes to the Stihl. The 310 is out of their league in that it produces 4.0 hp and costs more, while weighing the same.

Stihl 290 HP - 3.8
Husky 455 HP - 3.4
Husky 460 HP - 3.7

Last edited:
I've heard this sort of thing alleged before, with no more believability.

I'll send you a crisp $20 bill if you can present credible evidence of a plastic crankcase in a 455r. (Tip: it's metal.)

You fail to mention that the 455r is a "strato" saw, with greatly reduced mix consumption and emissions; its AV springing is also a +.

It ain't metal thats for sure, nor is it magnesium, but it sure is a plastic composite, most likely of a certain percentile of nylon and some other great ingredients.

$20 please, care for my mailing address?

Not familiar with Husky clams at all, but sure would like to see a few pics of this plastic / composit crankcase. Anyone have any build pics?

Back