Husky 455 Rancher Clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowbeard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My boss said he had problems with his saw recently and asked me to take a look at it as I am milling a giant Oak on his property so he thinks I know what I'm doing. ;)

While I am OK (sorta) at diagnosing my Stihl, I don't know jack about Huskies. However, as soon as I took the clutch cover off (the chain was off the bar so I was trying to address that) I saw what I suspected was the problem:

IMG_7157.JPG

Pretty sure the clutch isn't supposed to look like that (OK, I'm actually TOTALLY sure). So I took the broken pieces out, put some 89 no ethanol gas in it and it fired right up (though it wouldn't stop - also what is up with the way you do the choke and such on these things? Seems cheap). Anyway, I guess everything is probably OK save the clutch and he really could use a new bar and chain.

I found clutches on e-bay for about 20 bucks. Is that what I should be paying? Does anyone have any advice? Is this thing hard to take off/replace? Also, anyone got a cheap 16" bar for this bad boy? I'd love to give it back to him with a new clutch, bar and chain - he's being very cool about letting me cut up this giant oak (plus, as I said, boss).

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

That's the best price I've seen. I haven't seen many 455 with 16" bars either though so I guess he put that on. Someone linked an 18" for about $19 to me once it looked nice I'll find it and send it to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well heck, I didn't measure it. It might be 18". My bars run in the 3-5 foot range so it's hard for me to tell on these little ones. ;)

Thoughts re: aftermarket clutches? Assuming "no?" There's a used one on e-bay right now for $30 that appears to be in good shape, or a new OEM runs about $45. If you can tell me where I could get that bar for 19 bucks then that would be swell. Thanks.

That's actually the brand of bar from the same company (left coast) that I use for milling. I like mine quite a bit. Thanks!

I can't see how aftermarket would be a bad idea for a clutch, it's just pieces of metal. The drum I would go Oem because of wear. A 455 I think has a minimum 18in bar. It could manage a 16... But why...

In addition to a new clutch, that saw obviously needs a good cleaning - and aftermarket is a really bad idea, as usual with chainsaw parts.

Then it is time to speculate on how the clutch could fail - and the most likely reason is heat generation from forcing it to cut with a dull chain. I obviously don't know that as a fact though, as I wasn't there....

Another possibility is that a "homeowner" type saw was used for commercial purposes, overtaxing the design.

Even the 450 rancher comes with a 20" stock

Take a large scrap socket and cut it such that it has two prongs sticking out that fit over the clutch. A 1/2" socket works best. And remember it has left handed threads. So tightening is loosening.

In addition to a new clutch, that saw obviously needs a good cleaning - and aftermarket is a really bad idea, as usual with chainsaw parts.

Then it is time to speculate on how the clutch could fail - and the most likely reason is heat generation from forcing it to cut with a dull chain. I obviously don't know that as a fact though, as I wasn't there....

Another possibility is that a "homeowner" type saw was used for commercial purposes, overtaxing the design.

He's a high school principal by day, cattle rancher/farmer by night. The chain is in AWFUL condition, so I'm getting him one of those as well. Then again, the saw broke while being used by someone (our assistant principal) who was borrowing it, in whom I have zero confidence as far as chainsaw use goes.

All right, so where do I get a good 20" bar then? That GB looks great but it will cost as much to ship as to buy (still may be my best bet).

Take a large scrap socket and cut it such that it has two prongs sticking out that fit over the clutch. A 1/2" socket works best. And remember it has left handed threads. So tightening is loosening.

The left/right thing is VERY worth knowing. Thanks!

I just did a new bar and chain on my 450 and oem the best 20" price I could find was Lowe's. I don't know if the 455 is a different size chain and such though. What size is it rated for?

Also the GB was still cheaper even with shipping but I personally wanted a 20 for mine and said screw it and got the husky bar. By what I've read Oregon makes the husky bar but I got tired of shopping around

Even the 450 rancher comes with a 20" stock

All models that say "rancher" or "farm boss" on them come with too much bar and chain - as the brands somehow expect farmers to have lesser expectations than other people regarding performance. It is silly, and I can't explain it, but it is the way it is with chainsaw classifications - particularly in the US.

All models that say "rancher" or "farm boss" on them come with too much bar and chain - as the brands somehow expect farmers to have lesser expectations than other people regarding performance. It is silly, and I can't explain it, but it is the way it is with chainsaw classifications - particularly in the US.

So do you think an 18" bar and chain from left coast (GB) would be worth getting? 27 bucks plus shipping. I love my 60" from them.

Yeh I've heard the arguments that the 20 is too much but I have never had an issue with it pulling it. Maybe it could be to come still I don't doubt it as I'm not a pro and I do more clearing pasture and smaller areas. If I feel it can't handle the load I make smaller cuts. But I'm not working a saw like most of y'all would

OK. Ordered a new OEM clutch for 35 and the 18" bar and chain just mentioned for about 42 delivered. Think this should make a big difference for him.

Back