Husky 455 Rancher Clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 450 is a .325. I'm smelling what you are stepping in with the size. I know the 50cc saws catch some flak but I have to say it is a good saw for light to medium use. I would be interested in seeing the difference in it moving an 18 compared to the 20 for sure.

Plastic cased "rancher"/"homeowner" saws like the 450 and 455 does work well for the use they are designed for, the problems mainly are created when people are submitting them to use that they weren't really designed for. Then the performance and expected "life" of the saws will go down - but it is just one of several factors (chain sharpness, maintenance and the operator being the most important ones).
A shorter bar and/or a lower gearing always will help to some degree regarding performance and longevity, but don't expect too much from just a two inch reduction in bar length.

Hmmm... Well, I can tell he was forcing it because the bar rails are flattened to where they have those sharp bits along the edges. I just hope a new (slightly shorter) bar, chain, and clutch will help a bit. Thanks for all the advice. Wish I had been in less of a hurry. Maybe I'll call Left Coast on Monday and ask them to change to a 16".

He may well have been forcing it, but such "wire edges" will appear sooner or later anyway, unless they are kept at bay by a flat file (normal maintenance, but many ignore it).
Bar quality, chain tension, oiling and chain sharpness are other involved factors - and "forcing" often is a result of a dull chain.

He may well have been forcing it, but such "wire edges" will appear sooner or later anyway, unless they are kept at bay by a flat file (normal maintenance, but many ignore it).
Bar quality, chain tension, oiling and chain sharpness are other involved factors - and "forcing" often is a result of a dull chain.

Fair enough. Thanks.

Got this saw put together last night and ran it today with the following setup: 3/8 sprocket switched to .325, changed to an 18" GB Arbor bar and new chain, replaced the clutch, fixed the oiler which seemed to be clogged.

That thing runs like a scalded cat. It almost made me want a Husky. I say that - have always heard they were great saws. What I do think I need is a medium sized saw. I have an ancient 028 and 3 084s. I'm thinking I need something in the 440-660 range.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I couldn't believe how well that thing cut oak.

It's only 60ccs but it's all pro construction (not a clamshell) I really like mine it put wide clutch cover with dual large bucking spikes and a 25"bar. If nothing else it looks mean.☺

Yeh that or I have the 391 which is the clamshell model. Guess it depends on how much you are doing. If I had the cash to pony up I'd go with the 461

I used to put some starter rope in the plug hole to lock down the piston and then hit the clutch with a punch in that recess to take it off. :dumb: Worked well enough. ...... .

If you hit that "punch" sharply, you don't need to use a piston stop (or rope down the plug hole).

I tried to do it sharply but must have been a bit flat still. I thought the rope down the plug hole trick was pretty darn clever.

Latest posts

Back