Husky 455 to 460 upgrade and porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a home depot score. 280 was the price. It needs a few things but well worth it. Plan is for a 20 & 28 bar that way I can have a flexible saw.

Still gonna finish the 455 for sure, I'm into the sticky parts of porting the intake, exhaust, and transfers.

Very good deal id say if its not missing much major and is a runner. Is the p&c clean? If i was you run as a 6421 first and see if you really need the extra .5 hp more it likely produces in the real world over the 6421. The muff modded 6400 i ran didnt feel like it really needed that little bit more. It sure felt good at 24" i ran it with. Maybe the 28" needs it if you really want to haul through the log. Heck ive ran 28" on my ported jonny 630 with no issue. My stock 670 was actually behind it in a timed cut.

It is a runner. It just needs a new clutch and a clean up. Nothing missing aside from the exhaust gasket. The cylinder and piston look awesome to tell the truth, compression is very healthy. I need to test it.

This saw is the dcs6421, and I think eventually I'll throw the 7910 cylinder on it and port that. And probably a full wrap handle

I say give that 6421 a muffler mod, a good tune on a fresh rebuilt carb, a good sharp chain and see what you get. Take your time jumping on a 7900/7910 setup, do it piece by piece in an affordable manner (full wrap, hd filter if you want it, p/c, carb if needed). No need to rush it if you don’t have a baseline to compare it to.

Just my $0.02

So porting has continued.

I went ahead and opened the upper strato as it enters the cylinder. I made a straighter entry way, and widened it slightly.

I also went ahead and removed a bunch of material from the cover itself. I went through so now I need to weld it up, no big deal, just need to do it.

My next step is to raise the exhaust and do that port, and I'll slightly widen the intake.

I did port the piston and I think that alone will make a huge difference.

DcRAOCG.jpg

Roughed in
zbEDpvG.jpg

Steep entry, and the window before and after.
vqQ9eII.jpg

lo1Wp3g.jpg

h0RyeUy.jpg

Modded
5y9sNmt.jpg

Stock
3LT9nOY.jpg

Very nice work. Are all of your ring ends clear of the edge of the ports by atleast .050? I made that mistake once it costed me a real good motor. It very cool for someone to mod one of the less desireable clamshell saws. What have you changed timing wise of the cylinder and piston porting numbers. It looks like you widened the transfers and advanced the strato ports(raised) and gained time area on the stratos too. Curioys of the numbers as i bought a 455 for my dad to give him a bit more power over his epa 350. It runs good just doesn't have the revs of the 350 but has good torque.

It's kinda hard to see the difference in the stato opening in those pics, sorry they are a little blurry.

The only thing I've really changed is add a little more intake timing. A few degrees at most.

I'm increasing the blow down from 12 to 14 degrees.

I might bump ignition timing also, need to figure out what works well for this. I don't know if anyone had tried it.

So most of your changes were smoothing flow, time area (duration) and some direction changes? Hope it runs strong and better then stock. I personally cant wait to see how it runs. I truthfully think it is going to run well and should pull higher rpms with what you have done.

I agree.

I got a new caber ring for it, USMC suggested I use one. If compression is less than 180 I'm going to either weld a pop up or ill add a longer throw decomp valve(take up volume). I have cut the plug to sink it but if I do that and I replace the plug I'll lose compression if I'm unable to cut each plug.

I'm unsure of what a "desirable" compression psi would be for this saw.

Clam shell seems like it has less strength, so maybe compression bump is too far to go

So most of your changes were smoothing flow, time area (duration) and some direction changes? Hope it runs strong and better then stock. I personally cant wait to see how it runs. I truthfully think it is going to run well and should pull higher rpms with what you have done.

Yeah I hope I gave it some better ability to breath. So far from what I can tell there are some bottle necks. The lower transfers seem really poor as stock, now they can take a bigger gulp. And now the strato can dump it in the cylinder. I recently saw a 026 run a 28" bar and it did it well aside from oil supply so I know these smaller cc saws can do more.

Yeah I hope I gave it some better ability to breath. So far from what I can tell there are some bottle necks. The lower transfers seem really poor as stock, now they can take a bigger gulp. And now the strato can dump it in the cylinder. I recently saw a 026 run a 28" bar and it did it well aside from oil supply so I know these smaller cc saws can do more.

That was a 32” bar hand ground round filed chain and then a 25” bar with half-assed square ground. Regardless the saw is a BEAST!!!

I have no doubt the smaller cc saw is capable, just have to take your time and do smal mods one at a time to see what works. Looking forward to see this saw cut some wood and then some upgrades be done to make it better.

I will say Mettee has an excellent background in machining and has the ability to make some pretty amazing work. Just ONE STEP AT A TIME!

Very nice work. Are all of your ring ends clear of the edge of the ports by atleast .050? I made that mistake once it costed me a real good motor. It very cool for someone to mod one of the less desireable clamshell saws. What have you changed timing wise of the cylinder and piston porting numbers. It looks like you widened the transfers and advanced the strato ports(raised) and gained time area on the stratos too. Curioys of the numbers as i bought a 455 for my dad to give him a bit more power over his epa 350. It runs good just doesn't have the revs of the 350 but has good torque.

So this saw is single ring....

The ring end is centered on the intake side. Dead center. I don't think it can snag on anything if that is what you mean. Sorry for my back quoting it's been a hectic day.

That was a 32” bar hand ground round filed chain and then a 25” bar with half-assed square ground. Regardless the saw is a BEAST!!!

I have no doubt the smaller cc saw is capable, just have to take your time and do smal mods one at a time to see what works. Looking forward to see this saw cut some wood and then some upgrades be done to make it better.

I will say Mettee has an excellent background in machining and has the ability to make some pretty amazing work. Just ONE STEP AT A TIME!

You, you getta outta here.

How tall is the HD filter already

Did you ever get this saw running? If so how well. I've got one that I'm working on and was curious how the porting went.

Its actually on my bench. I filled in a couple new transfer covers so I could max out how much I reduced my intake angle. Almost ready to put together.

I will let you know.

Back