Husky 545 vs 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done the mistake of not getting the xp version once, and that is enough! :msp_wink:

I ran a 353 before and have the 346. I didnt mind the difference between the two. It wasnt even noticable in my cutting style. 346 or 353 it dont matter. Same with a 365 vs 372. I actually like the torque band of the 365.

I ran a 353 before and have the 346. I didnt mind the difference between the two. It wasnt even noticable in my cutting style. 346 or 353 it dont matter. Same with a 365 vs 372. I actually like the torque band of the 365.

The differense feels larger than the specs indicate to me (NE346xp vs 353), but I do of course not really know about the 550xp vs. 545....

Last edited:
I feel that the difference between the 545 and 550 is neglegable to my cutting style also. Yes I can limb with a 550 faster than a 545but I dont really care. Half a HP difference dont mean much to me either. The 545 may not be as macho as the 550 on this site. But I feel it will be just as reliable. Time will tell though

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm looking into getting a new saw and my family has always used Stihl's. In my researching I think I like some of the features Husky's got out. I'm looking at the stats between the 545 and the 550xp and they're almost the same, why the almost 100$ difference? Which is preferred? Or who has other saw suggestions in the 11lb, under $600 range?

Thanks!

i would buy the jonsered 2166 ulticor, all the pro/semi pro husky i am selling nopw come with "autotune" an i am having nothing but serious problem with the 545. eg main bearings splitting and picking up the cylinder, also the autotune not working correctly, after running diagnostic test all husqvarna uk do is supply new carbs without any awnser, 1

i would buy the jonsered 2166 ulticor, all the pro/semi pro husky i am selling nopw come with "autotune" an i am having nothing but serious problem with the 545. eg main bearings splitting and picking up the cylinder, also the autotune not working correctly, after running diagnostic test all husqvarna uk do is supply new carbs without any awnser, 1

Tell us more!! Most of us who have 550XPs have had close to zero problems with the autotune.......

Some of the very early saws had the same case bolt issue as on some 562's. The problem was corrected before any of them hit the states, which is reassuring to us, but no help to you.

That thing has to be torn down and rebuilt with the updated case bolts; can't just tighten them up. Also, the backing out of those bolts would cause air leaks and what not that will play havoc with the AT, but the issue in this case is not the AT itself.

Both are great saws, I never ran the 545, but can say the 550 was 89 dollars more than a 346 here in NEPA, so I am thinking the difference in prices between the 545 and 550 are not gonna be much. I was sold on the 550 and settled on it, the price had a lot to do combined with some of the goodies the 346 didn't have.
The revboost is nice..even for this weekender

Last edited:
Now that I have a 545 to test with against the 550xp and 346xp. :rock::cool2::D

I really like the looks of the 545.

545002_zps9d105198.jpg

545003_zpsf8ed1a24.jpg

What/how is the rev boost different from the 545 ? Is it simply transfer port size like on the 365/372 ? Can the 545 1/2hp diff. easily be hopped up to 550 specs ?
Inquireing minds want to know .:help:

Both are great saws, I never ran the 545, but can say the 550 was 89 dollars more than a 346 here in NEPA, so I am thinking the difference in prices between the 545 and 550 are not gonna be much. I was sold on the 550 and settled on it, the price had a lot to do combined with some of the goodies the 346 didn't have.
The revboost is nice..even for this weekender

There was no price difference at all between the 346 and the 550 here, and it was the same with 560 vs. 357.

I haven't really looked into the non-xp versions, but believe the xp saws still cost 30-40% more than the non-xp ones.

Last edited:
Just goofing off with 325 semi chisel chain yesterday and 18". Was out of small 3/8 and didnt want to put a well used one on it.

Paper specs may not show it ;). But I bet this 545 on 1st tank can cut with or out cut a 50cc 346 already broken in. stock for stock :laugh:

Just goofing off with 325 semi chisel chain yesterday and 18". Was out of small 3/8 and didnt want to put a well used one on it.

Paper specs may not show it ;). But I bet this 545 on 1st tank can cut with or out cut a 50cc 346 already broken in. stock for stock :laugh:

It will be interesting to see what happens after a few tanks. :msp_smile:

i run my 550 regular, ran the 545 once and while it was a fine saw, REALLY glad i spent the extra bucks on the 550

my 02
How big of wood are you cutting and do you use it daily? I use my 455 rancher daily and it says the 550 with fewer cc has .3 hp more than my 55cc rancher. the wood in Nova Scotia isn't huge but then there is some so 550 or 555? or 545 ?

Latest posts

Back