Bigger Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would pick Yugo (or Fiesta) over (50s 60s) Cadillac anytime.....much more fun.

Try this with your Cadillac....and you will become dead meat :D

Actually I saw one 2 days ago in a minth condition....and it was one of those "WOW" moments :D A blast from the past (my youth).....they become rarity these days....and their prices are pretty high!

My bubby in High school had a Yugo, it was hilarious, it dis assembled itself as you drove it!

I have toyed with the idea of a 660 or 880 numerous times over the years but never pulled the trigger. Reality set in... My "big" saw is an MS461. I primarily run a 25" bar but also have 20" and 36" bars for it. There isn't a tree around here that I needed to cut that that saw wasn't up to... 30"-40" DBH are big trees here and I use the 25" bar on them. I cut most stuff with an MS261 as it's typically 12"-14" or less. If they are bigger I'll use the 461... I'm almost always cutting hardwood hazard and fallen trees (primarily oak, maple, walnut, ash). Occasionally I'll cut eastern white pine, eastern red cedar or hemlock and haven't needed more than the 261 for any of them. The 660 and 880 would be my milling saw but I've done so little of that the past few years I seldom think about buying those saws any more. That hasn't stopped my son, who works at a Stihl/Husky dealer, from telling me every time they get in 660s, 880s or 500is. 😉

I found that I actually have a lot more use for a small saw than I'd ever have for a 660 or 880. For example, this year I've had a lot of storm damage and brush to deal with. As such, the last saw I bought, an MS170 gets regular use. I use the safest safety chain Sithl makes on the saw.... those chains don't grab small branches and vines and whip them around the way a Rapid Super chain does. It's nice and light for limbing and hanging off embankments by my toenails. I made some changes to the saw that make it more like a real chainsaw than a toy... muffler mod, side chain adjuster, steel bumper spike and muffler gasket. If the MS241 ever becomes available in the U.S. I'd be interested in having one....

I've got a Stihl HT131 pole saw also. It is the right tool sometimes... It was invaluable for the ice storm clean up last February as there were a lot of broken branches to be pruned.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

I like to buck from a standing position. I'm 6'2" so longer bar is comfortable for me. 24" bar seems to be about the minimum bar length for me. Anyway, I'm thinking at least a 30-32" bar would be nice.

So... 372xp vs 390xp? Dutchman, I'm not seeing the 575-6xp saws you suggested on Husqvarna product site. Great to have options! But it's difficult to find a Goldilocks HA!

The 575-6xp... they're used saws only at this point. Just ones I have experience with. Ran a Rancher for years, these were just better in every way. I'm poor, so this is the best I can do currently.

I run stihl for trhe most part .I purchased a new ms400 and added the wrap handle kit 25" light bar love this saw for firewood bucvking also purchased the ms500 r 28" light bar at the same time, this saw is a great one also !An 80cc to 95 cc saw should do it for you all the new stihl and husky saws should be a great fit in that size range!

Bought a new saw today. I was really set on a 90cc saw, I even found a nice used 395xp. But... I went with the 572xp.

Hope I don't regret it down the road. I just liked the feel of the 572.

My youngest daughter brought home a new saw too. She's also very pleased with her new toy too.

I think chainsaws may be unique... the "new chainsaw smell" isn't nearly as sweet as one that's been run hard for a few months! Looking forward to breaking this saw in.

Thanks to all who chimed in with great suggestions and comments!

572xp saw.jpg

Ran a tank of gas through the saw today. I didn't push it because I'm breaking it in.

I'm Mildly underwhelmed with performance, probably should have bought a 90cc saw.

On the upside. The saw is nimble and easy to handle. Also, rpms wind up super quick.

I'll give it a fair chance. Maybe I'll change my mind once it's broken in...

Or maybe I should buy that used 395xp? 🤔

Ran a tank of gas through the saw today. I didn't push it because I'm breaking it in.

I'm Mildly underwhelmed with performance, probably should have bought a 90cc saw.

On the upside. The saw is nimble and easy to handle. Also, rpms wind up super quick.

Buy the 385 as well- be a shame not to. ;) :innocent:

Im gonna be totally honest with you, we bought a couple of these for work and although most of our employees are not saw enthusiasts and liked the 572xp, I was not impressed and thought the older 372s were much better.
After about 10 tanks the 572xps definitely started to wake up with a dramatic change in performance! So give it a minute to break in and maybe "buyers remorse" with go away.
Still never going to be a 90cc no matter who blows sunshine up your skirt. They are just a very good saw to run all day.

First stop babying the saw, your not doing it any favors. As stated 8 to 10 tanks they wake up a decent bit.
A 395xp sucks to fell with. 390xp is much nicer, slimmer and ergonomic in hand. The 394/5 is just not nimble in hand.
Supervisors advice is spot on.

Time for a 70 or 90 cc saw. For the 70cc saws. Husqy 372xp, stihl ms462cm, husqy 572xp for 70cc saws. They will all pull a 32" bar with full skip chain in soft woods. Not necessarily the fastest, but they will get it done. More at home with a slightly smaller bar. 24-28".
90cc saws either a husqy 390xp or a stihl ms661cm. Actually it would really just be the 390xp in my mind, I have a decent bit of trigger time between the 390xp and 660. I'll grab the 390xp every time. Better av, air filtration, and a smoother saw to run. Pulls a 32" bar like it's not there. Run a 36" on mine it does quite well.

I'll second most of this.

572 did NOT like pulling a 32" bar in old-growth live oak, new chain, damn near fully buried. But it got the cut done.

I've thrown a 42" on my 390xp many times. Cuts smooth and fast even fully buried in madrone.

The 572 has this stupid feature, rev-boost. So when you have the trigger WOT, after a few seconds you'll notice a few hundred rpm boost in the cut, and possibly the higher pitch it makes.

Personally, I don't like the feature. Seems like recipes for kickback if it engages at the wrong time.

The 572 has this stupid feature, rev-boost. So when you have the trigger WOT, after a few seconds you'll notice a few hundred rpm boost in the cut, and possibly the higher pitch it makes.

Personally, I don't like the feature. Seems like recipes for kickback if it engages at the wrong time.
I thought they did away with that?

I thought they did away with that?

I hadn't heard that, but since my main shop closed I'm out of the loop.

My 572 is at least the second unofficial generation. I'd have to check the tag, but I'm fairly certain it has the Rev boost feature, as it will wind up past WOT after ~3 seconds on the throttle.

Maybe today I'll dig it out of my truck. My girlfriend is letting me do more and more now that my leg is doing better.

Back