Husky 55 vs Stihl 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willsaw4beer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yes, comparison threads suck, I know, and I apologize in advance. I'm thinking about maybe sellin the 55 to fund an 034 (always wanted a Stihl...) The 034 would presumably be the non- super model. In terms of cutting speed, anti-vibe, weight, fuel consumption, etc. what do the experts think? Keeping the 55 and still getting the 034 might be possible, but it's already gettin' to the point of bein a pain in the @$$ to run 3 saws enough to justify em all. Thanks folks!

Well the 034 will walk all over the 55 and come close to the 630 in terms of power. AV, fuel consumption etc similar. You will be spoiled by the side tensioner and inboard clutch. You could prob get rid of the 55 and 630 when you get the 034 if you end up likeing it.

Yea they do run great... Kind of surprisingly so. :spam: Also if your 55 is an epa version you only have 51cc's. I know my old 034 ran up there with my husky 61 which is about the same as your 630.

"I believe that was just for a year or two in the late 1990s (very first EPA version)."

Mine has the smaller bore nearly as I can remember. I bought it off of E-bay, had a little aluminum smeared over the ring. Went after it with a pocket knife and a piece of auto body sandpaper, it's good as new 30 minutes later! I'll check the serial number today. It is however a closed port engine, and makes excellent power. There isn't a saw in my line-up that's more fun to operate. I wouldn't trade it for an 034 Stihl unless you threw some cash in on the deal!

Serious, I can't remember running an 034 to date, so can't make a direct comparison.

I can say that our 55 is a SCREAMIN little saw, and one of my favorites in terms of power to weight, low fuel consumption, excellent anti-vibe, easy of starting, etc.......Cliff

034 is a great saw. I love the 55 too but its not a comparison as far as power goes. We have 2 034's and about 4 55's at work, and i love the 034.

I doubt the 55 is the epa model, it has a flat crowned piston, was made in 96. I like the 630 but it is pretty heavy; it's probably going to have a 272 topend put on some time in the future.
The guy sellin the 034 wants $200, if I can talk him down I'll probably end up gettin it.
:cheers:

I doubt the 55 is the epa model, it has a flat crowned piston, was made in 96. I like the 630 but it is pretty heavy; it's probably going to have a 272 topend put on some time in the future.
The guy sellin the 034 wants $200, if I can talk him down I'll probably end up gettin it.
:cheers:

If made in 1996 it is not an EPA one. :)

If you have a line of an 034, buy it before it's gone. See my signature. Guess which saw gets run the most? And if you don't buy it, please PM me with the source of the 034. Am I being clear enough?:)

BTW, are the $ next to the saws in your sig what you payed or what you're asking. Hmmm, nice little advertising idea...

It's a pretty good runner for an EPA saw. I bought it with the ring seized up in the piston, took about half hour to clean everything up. I opened up the ports just a tad during the clean-up, more smoothing/blending than anything else.

I can't remember the bore size, but was thinking it has the smaller bore, as I was looking at P/C's for it before I figured out we didn't need to buy anything to get it running.....Cliff

Back