Stihl chain type Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the pictures of 3/8 (far left, biggest cutters), ,325 (middle) and 3/8 lp (picco) on the right.

Unfortunately chains are from 3 different brands, 3/8 is full chisel and the ,325 is semi chisel, the picco only has half cutters left etc, but i hope you can see the difference. I dont have a ,404 but that would just go one step forward in cutter size. As you can notice on the side to side the 3/8 and 3/8lp cutters actually alighn because they are the same pitch, but the normal chain cutters are twice the size. :)

View attachment 267623

View attachment 267624

View attachment 267625

View attachment 267627

Last edited:
The provided pictures make the differences in cutter size pretty obvious. The .043 gauge makes the narrowest cut, so is used on low powered saws, but is the most delicate. .050 like the 91vx or 91vxl are far more aggressive in that it isn't "green link" (safety chain), and it is more durable than the .043.

What chain is on the 141 and 445? 3/8 .050 low profile and .325 .050 narrow kerf respectively?

+ there are no really good chains for it, at least not that I know of....

Oregon 90S is noticeably faster in the cut than PMM3. The cutters on a loop of 90S are nearly the size of PMC. I've tried them all on my MS192TC, (needs all the help it can get) my favorite is now the PS3. The 90S is now on my HT KM130, and works quite well for that application.

Thank you Torn4do, those pics were very helpful! I like to know technical details of what and why and those pics were more help than I've found in all my web searching (and I've tried before with no avail, just finally had to make a post and ask).

So basically the entire cutter is proportional to the gauge. Is there no measurement for the overall width of the cut of a chain, or is it just basically proportional to the gauge? Is all 043 gauge low pro? I would assume so, no? Again, thanx for the info!!

The provided pictures make the differences in cutter size pretty obvious. The .043 gauge makes the narrowest cut, so is used on low powered saws, but is the most delicate. .050 like the 91vx or 91vxl are far more aggressive in that it isn't "green link" (safety chain), and it is more durable than the .043.

What chain is on the 141 and 445? 3/8 .050 low profile and .325 .050 narrow kerf respectively?

141 has a 16" bar, it's 3/8, .050...not sure if it's low pro or not?? I have chains either from husky dealer that say on the box that they work for that saw, and some oregon chains I just pick up at wherever, home depot, and they also say they work on 141. I assumed it was a very common 16" size.

The 445 came with a 16" bar and a square chain, it got dull and I traded it to parents neighbor who is big husky guy (but never teaches me much in terms of technical specs and such on saws, grr) for an 18" husky bar. Both bars ran .325 chain. Again, I generally just go to store and know .325 and .050 and 18" and grab whatever chain says it will fit. Semi-chisel is what I run on everything, basically by default as that's what they have for sale, and up until recently I didn't know there were other options. I'm just learning types and all the differences in chains and now want to try some of the good stuff!! And as you could probably tell I wanted to fully understand everything about the chains before I start switching things up. Thanx for all the help!

Also, with the safety chain, is the difference just that the link prior to the cutter has a bump on the opposite side that matches up with the bumper/depth guide on the cutting tooth?? Is that it?? Is that what makes a safety chain or not?
At least with the Stihl 63 PMC3 that's the only difference. On the bar is a 63 PMC. The spare is a 63 PMC3. No difference other than the "safety hump."

nwbynp.jpg

Carlton make a pretty good 3/8"LP .043" chain designated N4C (not N4C BL - that's the bumper link).
I've always found it better than the equivalent Stihl brand .043" chain.
I have to be honest I'm not even sure if Carlton make the N4C anymore - I bought 100' of it a while back as there was a whisper they might be discontinuing it.

Going from the .043" "micro picco" to the .050" "picco" is quite a jump because as mentioned the cutters are noticable larger. Your saw will probably be fine but some of the smaller saws actually struggle going to the larger "picco" cutter.

In clean wood it is an excellent chain. I run it on my HT131 pole saw and it stays sharp for ages as it's not exposed to dirt up in the tree limbs.

Latest posts

Back