Husky 61 Rancher "White Top" Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffdog1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys I am about to go and pick up a new purchase, a one owner 61. Can anyone tell me if the white top is white coloured plastic or if it is painted. The saw is dirty in the pictures and has some mottling of the top but I just want to know if it is likely to be something that will clean up OK ro were they painted and the paint is flaking?

Any info appreciated.

It is white plastic but i would recommend cleaning then painting because the white tops are extremely difficult to clean and polish up. I don't care how my white tops look so i don't have to worry about it lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

also own a white top 61 that I bought brandnew about 1982, yes it has white plastic top or whatever they are made of, the top on mine still looks great, but the rubber antivibe bushings or whatever you call them are worn out and need replacing. I bought a brandnew 562 so the 61 now only gets used a little now and then in a pinch.

Well got the saw and it was a case of good and bad news. Both the top cover and starter cover had been badly painted and the saw looked crap. Good news was that it pulled 160psi and ran really well. Decisions decisions! Anyway decided to crack in and give a good clean up and repaint the bits that I could and refurbish the plastic the best I could. Looking at a new decal set and this one might just sit around looking pretty. What it looked like before pick up and where we are heading.

Wow that looks great! What did you use to paint your muffler? I want to repaint mine on my 55. It's the only piece that really looks used after a good cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow that looks great! What did you use to paint your muffler? I want to repaint mine on my 55. It's the only piece that really looks used after a good cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I use heat proof BBQ paint in matt black. I go over it with a wire wheel and then treat with a kill rust solution (vinegar would be fine) and then paint. On old saws you dont want an as new finish and the above method brings them up looking neat and unobtrusive. My feeling is that you dont want the mufler to stand out as being too good or bad, you want it to match the rest of the saw.

Now you realize of course that the original 61 is a classic chainsaw:

It's the one on the right of the 41 resting on its left. I may rebuild the top end sometime next month to welcome in the new year. After 27 years or so, it stills starts and runs but seems a little tired.

I have really taken a shine to the 61. I think the grey top would wear more elegantly than the white but I must say I like the classic look of the white tops with the steal brake handle. What clutch cover decal did the grey tops have? Another thing I do like about the 78/79 models is the traditional Husqvarna decal on the cover. and the little made in Sweden decal on the top cover. My one would have the European "Practica" decal rather than the 'Rancher" as well.
IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2173.JPG

I tossed the original clutch cover when the brake spring broke. It had a simple grey Husqvarna decal, nothing fancy, and it was almost worn out. I bought a replacement from HL with no decal. The brake works very well again. I kind of wish I could find an outside spike like my 61 has that also fits my 353. I imagine they are made somewhere. You might want to look into that for your 61. I like double bumper spikes.

I like the look of a gray top.. doesn't show imperfections like the white and orange top.. I do like the saw for medium duty stuff after a little porting they are nice to run

I like the look of a gray top.. doesn't show imperfections like the white and orange top.. I do like the saw for medium duty stuff after a little porting they are nice to run
I think down here the easiest thing to do would be to put the 272 top end and carby on and modify the top cover a little. This set up with all the original decals etc would scare the sheet out of people when you rocked up with an 18 inch bar and sharp chain to do some "limbing".

Compared to my original white top 61 yours looks like you painted it the wrong color, seems like to bright of a white but maybe it's just me.

Its more beige than it looks in the pictures but you might be right. The picture of it with the other parts beside the crankcase is more what it is actually like.

Well this one is complete - shown with a big brother that I serviced today as well (371XP). Just need a chain and for decals to arrive. Came up pretty nice and will be a nice usable saw or one that can just look pretty. Moving straight onto a 266 - no rest...

Attachments

• IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2241.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 25
Back