1985 white top 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannon bars look good on huskies, they’re pricey though. Got a 24” superbar on my 61/630 super hybrid.
I’ve been looking at those too yep, pretty snazzy looking bars for sure!
Quite pricey like you say though, although I seem to be more of a fan of the GB personally, more of the colour preference really, even after reading as much as I’ve read about the paint not holding up as well as one would like it to hahah

I’ve been looking at those too yep, pretty snazzy looking bars for sure!
Quite pricey like you say though, although I seem to be more of a fan of the GB personally, more of the colour preference really, even after reading as much as I’ve read about the paint not holding up as well as one would like it to hahah
Yeah I like the GB bars as well, seems like availability isn’t so good here in the US. Not these days anyway. I have to admit however, I haven’t looked all that hard.

Closed face on the clutch nut with only a grease hole = coarse thread clutch/crank.
Means you are not likely to find a new off the shelf clutch, but you can swap the spring and shoes off the newer fine thread clutch on to your spider when needed.
Was looking around and did happen to find a new coarse thread clutch for these older models, I don’t know if this helps anybody but hears the link! https://sawparts.ca/products/husqva...jonsered-630-early-model-coarse-thread-clutch
Currently out of stock but still on the site so they must be somewhat available lol 438226A7-3FFF-42B7-A47E-E99F6E5CF93A.jpeg

Looking good man. I love rehabbing those older huskies. You can’t buy a good saw these days for what it costs to bring an old 61 or 266 back to life. Just got done going through a 66 for customer. AV mounts, carb kit, fuel hose and filter, spark plug and a little clean up.

Looking good man. I love rehabbing those older huskies. You can’t buy a good saw these days for what it costs to bring an old 61 or 266 back to life. Just got done going through a 66 for customer. AV mounts, carb kit, fuel hose and filter, spark plug and a little clean up.
Thanks! For what it was when I got her, nothing was needed to have a nice clean working saw, was my own fault I broke a stud and had to wait for one in the mail hahah.
But I think I may take the carb off and see how the screen and insides look just to be safe

Thanks! For what it was when I got her, nothing was needed to have a nice clean working saw, was my own fault I broke a stud and had to wait for one in the mail hahah.
But I think I may take the carb off and see how the screen and insides look just to be safe
Inspect the throttle butterfly as well. They tend to develop some abnormal wear on the HS series carbs.

If you zoom in on the picture you can see what I’m talking about. I’ve seen them worse than this.
View attachment 1080314
I second inspecting the carb well. The worn butterly is often accompanied by a worn throttle shaft at the retainer(if they are that style), and I have seen more than a few that the carb body itself was worn.
Stuff like this isn't uncommon:

View attachment 1080315
Thanks for the helpful tips fellas, good to know for sure !! I’ll definitely have a look at that carb closer now for sure

I never considered a butterfly valve or a throttle linkage wearing out. Then I had an old, heavily used Jonsered 630 drive me crazy for about a month until I just happened to notice throttle linkage play, which then led to the discovery of a worn butterfly valve. Everything eventually wears out over time. I turn 68 this month and I know I am.

I never considered a butterfly valve or a throttle linkage wearing out. Then I had an old, heavily used Jonsered 630 drive me crazy for about a month until I just happened to notice throttle linkage play, which then led to the discovery of a worn butterfly valve. Everything eventually wears out over time. I turn 68 this month and I know I am.
Acts like a slight vacuum leak, won't hold a tune. I have a grey top 61 that is doing that, just tore the carb shaft off and found significant wear on the left side of the carb. You can see the play when working the throttle.

Question for you @ballisticdoughnut , Or anybody else who may be able to help,
Was wondering if there was a “better” or “bigger” if you will, carb that I can swap into this 61 to give me better performance or throttle response or whatever it is kind of gains I’ll receive? Or Is it just as well to leave it be? I mean it’s a deadly saw as is but you know how it goes 😂
This is the carb on it now for reference21F251B6-F1E9-4B17-B32E-35E9F4A08A5E.jpeg

Also, this clutch cover sticker would be nice to find new, what’s the chances one can be found s these days? 214E4BFA-FB04-4886-B096-5499E66D8347.jpeg

HS224 is a good upgrade for the 61. They came on the 266XP and I believe later 61’s and the 66.

BUT- can the 224 bolt directly to that intake system....... or do you need to change intake blocks to suit the 266 carb? I'm not sure off the top of my head- just a general question- but I know if you try and feed one with an HS 254B you run into mounting issues.
I say if it runs sweet, leave well alone.

BUT- can the 224 bolt directly to that intake system....... or do you need to change intake blocks to suit the 266 carb? I'm not sure off the top of my head- just a general question- but I know if you try and feed one with an HS 254B you run into mounting issues.
They’re a direct bolt on. The intake block for the HS224 has a larger ID to match the bigger carb but it’s very minimal difference compared to the 61 intake block.

Regarding the clutch cover decal, member Spike60 helped me upgrade a 1980 white top 61 Practica by supplying a NOS clutch cover, which had a chain brake. He mentioned that he had applied a new decal to that item. It was pretty.

I do agree with you @bob , I’ll just be leaving it be for the time being, just nice to know options if she ever do decide to give up for whatever reason, thanks for your input fellas
Regarding the clutch cover decal, member Spike60 helped me upgrade a 1980 white top 61 Practica by supplying a NOS clutch cover, which had a chain brake. He mentioned that he had applied a new decal to that item. It was pretty.
But @spike60 , any chance of knowing for one of these nice shiny new stickers? 🤞🏼 Haha

All of the carbs on the chassis directly swap, you can mount up the 181/281/288 carbs too, the blocks only change in the cylinder side.

Latest posts

Back