husky 61 vs. Stihl 029/039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeinstine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay folks, i need to help making a decision! Hopefully this just doesnt make another husky/stihl war.. I'm just looking for honest suggestions..

I currently have and use a excellent condition Husky 61 Rancher with a 20 windsor speedtip bar.. It is a great saw, and i can bury the bar in hard wood.. All stock except for a minor muffler mod. The oiler leaks when sitting, and the chain brake has a nasty habit of kicking on if i use the spikes and pivot the saw too hard. i think theres an adjustment for it, i just havent bothered checking into..

I just picked up a near new Stihl 029S. It is totally apart, but complete in a box. It needs a piston and cylinder. I'm wondering how good a saw it would be compared to the husky if it put in a 039 piston and jug. Looking at Mike Acres site, the 039 hsould be a few ounces heavier, but a tad more power. But it is a mid grade saw, and the husky 61 Rancher is built on the pro platform..

But, the stihl is almost brand new, and the husky is almost 20 years old..

What would you do?!??!?!?!

Ron

I would adjust the chain brake on the 61 and keep cutting until the saw quit or no longer has enough power for your application. Fix the Stihl and have a good back- saw up ready to take the 61's place. I have a 288 that is 15 yrs old and I give up way before that saw does :)

Regarding the Husky....

....it belongs to the same family of saws as the 162, 66, 266, 266xp, 268, 268xp and 272xp. That should give you some interesting options if you ever need to rebuild it. Even jugs from Jred 625, 630, 670 and 670 Super/Champ will fit, I think.

It is a nice saw that 61, you compared it to........
Oh sorry I forgot.

Was it another saw, no I remember it was a Stihl.

What was the question?

I've got a 61 and a 039. Powerwise I don't think there is much difference. I use the 039 the most and the 61 is a backup. I'll get them both out in the next day or so and pay a little more attention.

Manco,

the problem is, i got too many saws!! Somethings have to go! Maybe i should just keep the Husky, since it owes me nothing, and the stihl will bring a good buck on ebay. :)

I have a little Dolmar 100 i'm putting together to use as a light weight saw and back up saw.. I also picked up a Jonsereds 920 in parts that i will get together and use as a heavy weight large saw and back up saw also.. Then ther is, is, is,,,,,,, i could keep going and going!

SawTroll,
I take it your vite is for the Husky?!? :) The 61 had a new jug and cylinder when i bought it a few years back from a local small shop. (90$ !!!!)

Hey, do you know if there is a husky counterpart to the Jonsereds 920??? I need a piston and jug for it.. Used husky parts are much easier to find!

thanks
Ron

Mange,

No doubt your vote is for the Husky! thanks...

tawilson,
Since you have both, and honest working comparison would be great! let me know what you think!!

Thanks guys,
Ron

eyeinstine said:
..........................SawTroll,
I take it your vite is for the Husky?!? :) The 61 had a new jug and cylinder when i bought it a few years back from a local small shop. (90$ !!!!)

Hey, do you know if there is a husky counterpart to the Jonsereds 920??? I need a piston and jug for it.. Used husky parts are much easier to find!
Yes, I would have kept the Husky if I had to choose.

About the 920, I don't really know. The 288xp chared the same bore/stroke as the 90, 910, 920 and 930, but I don't know if the Jug will fit.

I think your best bet is to ask Dennis Greffard or Dozerdan, if no-one who knows respond here. Also observe what Mange said in his last post.

mange and sawtroll,

If none of those guys check in/post in thise thread, i will search 'em out. The specs from from the husky 288 look the same.. About the same weights, exact same bore/stroke, even the bar length ranges and fluid capacities are the same. But on the outside they definitly look different..

I'm glad to here its a good saw.. I bought it DIRT cheap in a box, but everthing, nut and bolts, are there. Just has a scored piston/jug. Doesnt look to be much bigger or heavier than my husky 61. It now has a 20" bar. Im trying to decide if i should get a large (30-32"?) bar and save the saw for the rare big stuff, or if i should tune it up nice and run a 18-20" bar on it, and maybe jump up a tooth in the sprocket and try and make one hell of a fast cutting firewood saw... decisions, decisions.............

thanks again!
Ron

I just found out that Huskyman asked about the 920/288xp jug compatibility a couple of times about two years ago. He did not get any answer that I am able to find, but he might have found out by now......

SawTroll said:
It should be about 2 1/2 lbs heavier, I think........

Its about 1.1 kg heavier.. if someone can convert that foreign math for me! :alien:

sawtroll, i'll also track down huskyman and see what he found out.. i searched the threads prior too this but didnt come across any thing 288/920 related...

Thanks
Ron

If you run in to troubble when contacting Motorsag, send him a email, my best bet, if that doen't work, let me know.

I have a 910 with 28"bar, and I bet it handels a 30,35" just as good.
I only cut down one tree here that the 28" bar wasen't enough to get throu , it was 1,45m in diameter, but down it went with the 28" bar.

I am looking for really long bars for my Delight 8-29!

Hi Dean,

I think i am going to go with my gut feeling and keep the 61; and just put the 029 back together with a new jug piston and let it go.. Who knows, i may change my mind once its back together; but with original 029 and not the 039 stuff on it, i dont think it will stand a chance to the 61.

I'm getting ready to put togther a long list of used parts i need. About 6 different saws worth, and was going to email it to some folks (including you) that i know handle used/new parts...

Thanks,
Ron

Mange said:
If you run in to troubble when contacting Motorsag, send him a email, my best bet, if that doen't work, let me know.

I have a 910 with 28"bar, and I bet it handels a 30,35" just as good.
I only cut down one tree here that the 28" bar wasen't enough to get throu , it was 1,45m in diameter, but down it went with the 28" bar.

I am looking for really long bars for my Delight 8-29!

thanks Mange.... I'll let you know if i here back from Motorsag...
yea, i think the 28" bar would work out fine.. i was bucking up a hard maple the other day, and i buried the 61's 20" bar.. It kept screaming and cutting, but its a pain in the arse to then go around the other side and have to cut that little strip to finish the log.

thanks
Ron

eyeinstine said:
Its about 1.1 kg heavier.. if someone can convert that foreign math for me! :alien: .......sawtroll, i'll also track down huskyman and see what he found out.. i searched the threads prior too this but didnt come across any thing 288/920 related...
1.1 kg is about 2.5 lbs (1 lb equals .454 kg).
Try to enter " 920+288* " in the search window. The question was asked in the two treads at the bottom of the list that appears.

Ron,
I got a chance to run the two saws side by side yesterday. I had the same size bar and brand of chain on each one. In a cut that took 15 seconds with the husky I could do a second or two less with the 039. Not much difference. Plus, the 61 doesn't want to idle, so I suspect the carb gasket issue, which probably cost a little power too. Just hefting boths saws, I could tell the husky was a bit heavier. I believe the Stihl, being more modern, has less vibration. Overall, I'd say not enough difference between them to worry about. You made a good choice keeping the husky.

Latest posts

Back