husky 61 vs. Stihl 029/039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,

thanks for the comparison.. I know that particular comparison can have alot of variables.. I'm surpised the husky didnt spank that 039! but with differences in wear on the saws, and chains, its hard to really compare just cutting speed.. I guess overall qaulity and features would be the best comparison, so most saws can be made to cut pretty fast with good sharp chain and operator skill.. Im really impressed with my 61's cutting speed.

Does your 61 have the metal chain brake actuator, or the plastic?? Im taling about the big peice on top that your hand hits when the saw kicks back..
I have the original metal style, and it has an adjustment knob on it.. My chain brake kicks on all the time while trying to pivot the saw on the dogs... Its a real pain in the arse; i end up holding the saw by the chain brake handle to i can keep on from kicking on.. Not good, and not safe.. the current operators manual from husky doesnt show the old metal style chain brake or the adjustment.

thanks
Ron

Last edited:
Mines got the metal brake handle. I can't remember an adjuster knob. I just checked and any owners manuals I've got show the plastic handle also. I also noticed they show a black plastic cover. Mine's all orange. Must be an old one. I'm glad you took my "comparison" the way I meant. Definitely not scientific, just my observations. Very possibly with a little work the 61 could have the edge.

Keep the 61.This saw is very reliable and easier to work on than Stihl.If your brake has a metal handle with the black knob,check if the "detent arm" is not "roundish" where it touches the block inside the handle itself,probably your problem.You can file the arm to bring it back square,but its not really the answer.Those parts are no longer avalaible .You can turn on the black knob in to give play or just remove the knob.Also check if you dont have shocks broken or loose because if yes,it gives a chance to the brake to come on.You can also use newer brake from 266,268,272 with plastic handle,working great.

Hi HiOctane,

Thanks for the reply... Good info.. Atleast someone out there has seen this metal brake handle with the adjusting knob! I have tried adjusting it way in and way out, but it doesnt seem to make much difference. I will check to be sure the actuator cam is squared; but i think you may be on to something about the mounts.. I had the same thought, as it seems to kick on the brake when the saw 'flexes' a tad when i rotate on the bucking spikes wiht a little pressure. The lower mounts are pretty soft; i guess from gas and oil spills over the years...

Thanks again,
Ron

Latest posts

Back