Husky 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brienkd

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a new member here and have really enjoyed reading the posts. Some are very informative and some are really funny. Anyway I have a Husky 61 that had reached the end of it's usefulll life and I am thinking about rebuilding it. My question is can I put a 365 or 372 jug and piston on it? From what I have read here the newer saws have a better design and produce more power. I just bought a 359 and like the way that it performs. Also what mods can I make to this so that I can get some real power out of it? I could tell you anything that you wanted to know about a small block chevy but I am new to this 2 stroke thing so bear with me if I ask some stupid questions.

I think it would be a bad idea to try and rig something like that. Whats wrong with the saw? Unless you seized the engine, it may only need another set of rings. If you must have a jug and piston get the regular 61 parts. If you want more power out of it then modify the muffler to be less restrictive, shave the bottom of the barrel for more compression and open up the intake side. Since you already ahve a good saw in the 359 this is a perfect opportunity to screw around with the 61 and practice changing the port timing. You would be surprised how much power you can get out of that old 61

Huskyman
Why would that be a bad idea, just curios.The cranks and bearings,clutch are the same on the 61,266,272.
Later
Dan

Dan, he could go with the 272 and get a little more displacement, but his post said he wants the 372 jug and piston for its quad port intake design. that would not be a direct bolt in as it is a completely different design. And the quad port design is where the real power is.

Huskyman:
I didn't notice anything wrong with the 61 until I got the 359. It romps all over it. It's kinda sad actually. It's like putting the 61 up against my 009... there is no contest. That is what makes me say that it has reached it's end. You are right about the quad port design though. I like the idea of modifing it as you stated. But like I said I have very little ldea on how to go about this as this is my first venture with a two stroke. I just bought another 61 for parts so that I can screw around with it. Is there any way that you can modify the 272 to the quad port.
Dozerdan:
That is the kind of info that I was looking for...Thanks
Are the carbs the same or do I have to modify that also?

Brienkd,
I think it is kind of suspious that your name ends in KD. Are you really KD hotsaw trying to pull a joke on us? If not I will advise you on the 61 Husky. Certain Families of saws share common traits and parts can be interchanged. Since you mentioned Chevys I will compair what you want to do with putting high compression Corvette heads on a 283. Helps doesn't it?
Well it also helps when you increase the displacement. Stick a 327 crank in that 283 and you have a 302 and they run! What you are doing is increasing the bore size on you 61. If you change to a 272 barrel and piston you will go from 3.75 cubic inches to 4.4 cubic inches. I can tell you from personal experience this is significant. I think your muffler has louver type ports. Try to bend out the louvers as far as possible for max flow. Increase the slot size with a small grinder if possible. Run it for a while and, after it breaks in, if you still want more power contact me for more stuff we can do.
PS. the quad loops are not in a 272 but it will still make power. Mike

????... you found me out.:eek: I wish I had that kind of talent.
No just a coincidence.
Cool analogy about the sbc. But there is no relacemet for displacement. Try this 400 crank, 6.00" rods, 4.030" pistons, 18 degree heads with a roller cam and rockers in a 4 bolt 350 block with a bunch of other goodies = 383ci/650hp. That's without juice. COOOOOOOL :D
Thanks for the reply. As soon as I find a jug and piston at a good price I will go for it. Can't wait to see what I can get out of it.
Brien

Last edited:
Hey Brien some questions on a husky 51 with scored exaust side piston. Is that saw interchanageable with the 257 and 262 series saws. I read the post on how to pressure test with a vacuum but have the opportunity to pick this saw up cheap. How hard is it to recondition a cylinder with a bottle hone and just get a new piston. I might have access to some parts from the afrore mentioned saws thats why I asked.

hey rupedoggy,

Is there anything I can do myself to my 044 Muffler to get a little more power? There's no louvers on the exterior, just a little shrouded hole on the chain side. The saw is stock and still fairly new. Would muffler modification make the saw run any richer or leaner?

Yes sir, you can help that 044 out easily. First think to do is get a front cover from a 046. Get the one that has the extra slot in front. Now when you take that old cover off look inside at the port. Do you see any obstruction where a gasket, or muffler edge hangs into the port? Take the muffler off and use a file, or Dremel if you have one, and take off any offending material. While you are there be sure that all carbon is removed from the port. Do not scratch the piston! Now if you have a little grinder try to enlarge the hole on the muffler behind where the screen fits. I make mine a little egg shaped. Smooth off any burrs. If you can, enlarger the slot hole in the cover a little. Don't go radical on these. You still need plenty of support so the screen stays. Be sure your screens are clean and re-assemble. You should notice a difference. Adjust carburetor as normal (tach is best but just barely four stroking is acceptable). Enjoy! Mike

FSburt,
I have no idea. I'm sure that some of the more experienced members of the group will be able to help you.

Thanks, rupedoggy!

Next time I hit the dealer, I'll pick up a cover. I removed mine just to look at it. the fit between the muffler and cylinder looks very good. I don't see room for improvement there. Pretty clean too, because the saw is fairly new. I did notice a tiny scratch on the cylinder wall, though, on the back side as you look through the exhaust port. you can only see it if you hold the light just right. What's odd is, it doesn't extend the height of the cylinder. it extends only about 1/2 centimeter high from bottom dead center. I've never seen a scored cylinder, but I'm positive that this is nothing even close to that. The saw runs, performs, and idles wonderfully. This scratch anything to worry about? Will it diminish advantages gained by muffler modification? How could something like that occur? A piece of debris blown out before compression? There's never been an event of lean mix with this saw.

I removed the muffler on the old Jons, and found two similar marks, only about 1/2 centimeter high. What causes this? I can't see myself tearing into two perfect saws to remedy this.

The odd scratches happen on saws. It is not the begining of scoring that happens from lean mixture of hot running. Since you are able to look across and see the scratches then it is on the intake side. Even though we are careful about filters and such small foreign material somehow gets into the intake track and can cause a scratch. They will not hurt the saw. Ignor them. Not easy to do after seeing them I know. I run racing saws without filters of any kind. The wood chips dirt and dust fly into the saw. I have taken them apart and it is surprising the amount of junk that collects in the crankcase corners. The saws still run good. Most of the time I think it goes right through and out the muffler. If you get scratches on the exhaust side of the piston- that is the start of seizure. The most heat is at the exhaust and the piston starts melting there first. Mike

Back