Husky blows up the aftermarket cylinder world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't read the whole thread, but this looks strongly like a superwalmart move. Move into an area with a new "sells everything" store at super duper low prices, probably into dumping level, wait one year while all the mom and pops and most of the existing supermarkets go bust..then over a few month period, gradually raise prices back up, all while sticking sale!! signs all over.

I am just realistic how this works. Glad they finally realized that extreme high prices for parts is not a good idea, just worried we will lose the good competition.

Another thought..I bet ethanol fuel/EPA tunes related issues have been killing them over all because of all the box store huskies (and family) out there that get warranty returned.

Haven't read the whole thread, but this looks strongly like a superwalmart move. Move into an area with a new "sells everything" store at super duper low prices, probably into dumping level, wait one year while all the mom and pops and most of the existing supermarkets go bust..then over a few month period, gradually raise prices back up, all while sticking sale!! signs all over.

I guess I don't understand this statement. Are you referring to the aftermarket sales as being the "mom and pop" shops? With the exception of Meteor I'm not sure it would be a bad thing if the "mom and pop" aftermarket shops get run out of business as far as the p/c market goes. How can this be a bad thing? I would think Meteor would have to adjust prices to stay competitive, they do supply a quality product and I believe will still get business.

Is Husqvarna reimbursing dealers who've spent big money on stocking their shelves? This could actually hurt many mom and pop shops if they don't. I know a few who have several big ticket cylinder kits in stock at $375 each.
I can see this leaving the dealers room for profit though.

If they are stocking them they must have a decent market for them, hopefully they can move them out of stock before savy buyers come in and ask for the new pricing.

I figured we'd get into this but "aftermarket kits" isn't a one size fits all term. There are the respectable companies like Meteor and others where the name on the part and the name on the box are the same. Then there are the low end companies who create a "brand" with a colorful box and a clever name. But the kits inside are sourced from an ever changing mix of suppliers and jobbers. Quality is all over the map and a part that's fine one time might be junk the next time you order it. I agree with @MnSam that we'd be better off without some of those clowns.

I don't see any conspiricy here @zogger. The whole thing might turn out to be a big screw up that someone did when the price files were changed. We should just enjot it while we can.

Even I got happy by the news that there is a dramatic price drop in cylinder&piston kit, still wish they would reduced the price on piston dramatic, like Stihl did. Somehow most of my jugs survive.

I figured we'd get into this but "aftermarket kits" isn't a one size fits all term. There are the respectable companies like Meteor and others where the name on the part and the name on the box are the same. Then there are the low end companies who create a "brand" with a colorful box and a clever name. But the kits inside are sourced from an ever changing mix of suppliers and jobbers. Quality is all over the map and a part that's fine one time might be junk the next time you order it. I agree with @MnSam that we'd be better off without some of those clowns.

I don't see any conspiricy here @zogger. The whole thing might turn out to be a big screw up that someone did when the price files were changed. We should just enjot it while we can.

I didn't say it was a conspiracy, just a normal way for a very large company to deal with what they could be seeing as upcoming even more serious competition. I'm sorta surprised they waited this long really. It's been obvious OEM replacement parts were "sorta high" in most cases and aftermarket was getting big, and growing fast.

$105 for a 346 p/c? I'm gonna call my husqvarna dealer tomorrow and see what their pricing is, they are a new shop so they definitely won't have any in Stock.

Every time someone orders a new OEM P/C they are going to have to post it in the "YOU SUCK!" thread.

Edit: just varna = husqvarna
Apparently my new phone hasn't figured out that I'm a redneck yet

Not true here. Baileys and many others has them in stock with no indication that they are becoming hard to get (503098904).
they have the gasket set in US, but in Norway no, 242 gasket set is NLA here.
According Husqvarna Norway there is no new production of the gasket set, just like bearing who is NLA in most land.
Anyway, I get 4 gasket sets from US. Will stock up some seals as well.

Sounds like I should stock up too then. Maybe it's because so many more of that size saw were sold there than here and you guys have run through the local stock that much faster?
I think you are spot on Barry.
There is no doubt that they where succesful here with the 254, and probleby stock going faster.
Else then the famous bearing that I already got, I will buy 5 of each seal and gasket sets.

Back