Husky not returning to idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noo

Reaction score
Hi - Don't you all hate it when someone joins a forum to make one post then never comes back? I know I do. I promise I wont be that person.

I need some advice regarding my Husqvarna 55 (or 51, don't remember off hand). Built in 1993? Or was it 1997? If the exact model and date are critical pls let me know and I'll confirm them.

Anyway - I'll describe my situation. The saw has never failed me. It has always run great. I put a lot more hours on in that any typical home owner, farmer or rancher. I do not use it professionally. I do disaster response work and Katrina alone added a couple of hundred hours to the saw.

Anyway - I am having a minor issue where the saw does not always return from full throttle to idle as it should. In other words, when i release the throttle trigger the saw acts like I still am applying gas. A few pumps of the throttle and it will return to proper idle.

My first, half hearted, attempt at repair was just to do a thorough cleaning. Nothing in the mechanical parts of the throttle trigger seem munged in any way.

Any suggestions before I take it to the shop?
Anyone interested in seeing some big wood before and after shots from Katrina cleanup?

Thanks all!

First check if your throttle shaft is returning to his idle positon,maybe the spring is unhooked or broken allowing the throttle to vary at idle.Could be also your throttle shutter,the round thing that opens and closes on your throttle shaft,could be worn.You have to remove the carb to see it.After the carb is removed and the trhottle screw backed off,check if you see light between carb body and the shutter itself,should be no light all around or just a tiny bit of light around.At the same time,push the shaft side to side if you see light appears,if yes,install a new one.The bolt holding it could be loose also.Be sure the trottle rod is not bent.Remove a small cap on one side of your trigger with a small screwdriver and look for the trigger condition,if the small steel plate at the end is still at the right place.

I had a 55 acting similar I ended up taking a new carb to fix. If you have not found the problem already I would check the carb passage between the cylinder and carb. Is it attached correctly on both ends or does it have any cracks or holes. If your anti-vibration mounts are getting flimsy or you pull on your saw when pinched it flexes a lot in this area which could cause an air leak in this area from stress on these parts. I think there is an impulse hose on that saw in the same area which could cause an airleak also.There was an very similar thread a couple or so days ago with several replies.You may want to try the search feature on top of thread page. You may end up needing pressure and vacume test to pin point an airleak .

Thanks, I'll chech these things out

Brushwacker, HiOctane Thanks for taking the time to reply. I read the post about air leaks but I didn't think it applied. I will re-read. I'll also look closer at the throttle shaft, shutter, and so forth.

I think I may just take it to the shop with the request to overhaul it. I'll let them fix whats wrong and also give me some recommendations about some preventive maintenance.

Thanks again

So will you be the guy who makes two posts and then never comes back?

My posts

Dan Forsh said:
So will you be the guy who makes two posts and then never comes back?

How about 3 posts? Ha. No, I will be visiting here more.

Well, looking over my saw I decided to just take it to the shop and have them go over the while thing. Worn sprocket, chipped bar plus the throttle issue will be fixed plus I'll have them touch up the blade that's on there as well.

I also got looking at a new saw. I didn't write down the model. A nice, larger, husky. An older style w/o the emissions junk with a 20 something bar. Cool.

I also got looking at a Stihl trimmer power head with interchangeable string, brush and a myriad of other accessories. If I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket I would have walked out with both the stihl with attachments and a new, bigger, husky.

Latest posts

Back