Husky or Stihl next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter399

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The day when my best saw ever gives up her breath, my 262 xp, I am considering to stay on the 60cc level or step up to 70cc.

The question one can ask is:

357xp vs MS361: Lot's of talk about the 361, not so much about the 357.
However:
357: 4,4hp, 5,5kg
361: 4,5hp 5,6 kg right?
Seems to me that the 357xp could keep up very relativley good with the 361?

Here in Sweden, the 372 is still easy to get hold of so:
372 xp vs MS 441 ?
Here I see no point what so ever to buy the 0,4kg heavier Stihl.
372: 5,4hp 6,3 kg
441: 5,6hp 6,7kg

Any ideas what to buy next? It would take quite much for me to switch to Stihl. Air filer cleaning and stop every 10secs on idle is are bad experiences I have from my Stihl ;(

/Peter

id say pick up a 372xp, the best saw you can get if you have need for 70cc saw, otherwise, id just pick 357xp just for erconomics, superior air filtration and little lower weight (the .1hp wont matter)...

372 or 357 would be my choice, since you already got bars that fits the 357 I would choose it over the 361 ,,,
I love my 372 but it is a slight overkill where I live though, but it's always nice to have some extra power :)

peter399 said:
357xp vs MS361: Lot's of talk about the 361, not so much about the 357.
However:
357: 4,4hp, 5,5kg
361: 4,5hp 5,6 kg right?
Seems to me that the 357xp could keep up very relativley good with the 361?
Except that the 357xp really weights 5.9 kg according to KWF/DLG test reports, and the European 361s has 4,6 hp, and 10% more max torque than the 357.

The 361 also has an inboard cluch vs the outboard one of the 357 - which may or may not be important, depending on the intended use.....

If you want to replace a 262xp, the natural choises are the 372xp or the MS361 imo, depending on your priorities (weight or power)....

Last edited:
I use both the 361 and the 2171. Cutting firewood.
I use the 361 for the tops. (lighter to swing around branch to branch)
If I had to use one it would be the 2171. I don't like waiting to get through the cut.

husky or stihl next

Hi Peter

I bought aa 575xp to upgrade from my 262xp but the saw still went on the back of the tractor to go cut fire wood . The larger saw is at the landing site.
Last year I got a 357xp to replace the 262, but still the 262 preforms great. It was still a toss up which one was better. Then I had the 357 mod., what a difference its now time to retire the 262.
Buy the 357 and mod. it you'll love it.

How do the prices if 357XP and the MS361 compare in Sweden? Here in the USA, you can buy the 357XP for about $100 less. You save about 20%. For two roughly equal performing saws, that's quite a bit less. OK, with that behind us, I highly recommend the Stihl!:biggrinbounce2:

I don't know about Sweden, but here in Norway the 357xp is close to 40% more then the MS361 when it is not "on sale", then it is usually "only" about 30% more.

That's ridiculous, as the 361 has more power, less weight and an inboard clutch......:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

SawTroll said:
I don't know about Sweden, but here in Norway the 357xp is close to 40% more then the MS361 when it is not "on sale", then it is usually "only" about 30% more.

That's ridiculous, as the 361 has more power, less weight and an inboard clutch......:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Hey Troll, why does a saw from your neighbor to the east cost so much more than a German-made saw? Higher tariffs?:confused:

buy a saw like what you have

i would hunt for a used saw model similar to your current saw or the same model. that way you could modify the saw and make you own hot saw.:rock: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :popcorn: :givebeer:

mods

J.Walker said:
Hi Peter

I bought aa 575xp to upgrade from my 262xp but the saw still went on the back of the tractor to go cut fire wood . The larger saw is at the landing site.
Last year I got a 357xp to replace the 262, but still the 262 preforms great. It was still a toss up which one was better. Then I had the 357 mod., what a difference its now time to retire the 262.
Buy the 357 and mod. it you'll love it.

Does modding your saw void your warranty??? Will it stop repair centers from fixing them???

ciscoguy01 said:
Does modding your saw void your warranty??? Will it stop repair centers from fixing them???

any actions taken on saw that are not stated in manual will void warranty (cutting limiter tabs, muffler mods etc...) unless you can proof that it was a manufacturing mistake that caused breakdown...

SawTroll said:

The price difference is about the same here in Sweden too !!!

blis said:
any actions taken on saw that are not stated in manual will void warranty (cutting limiter tabs, muffler mods etc...) unless you can proof that it was a manufacturing mistake that caused breakdown...

My dealer recommended me to take the tabs off :)

Hello!

Thanks for all replies. Lot's of useful info!
I think that if I buy a 372, I can't do anything wrong.
Seems like everyone agrees on that it a h*** of a saw.
Even the Stihl guys. And I don't really find the inboard
clutch to be a problem. Further, it's a question of national
pride to choose the Husky ;)

Husky for life!

- Peter

peter399 said:
And I don't really find the inboard
clutch to be a problem. ...
An inboard clutch is never a problem (except that it makes the saw body wider), but an outboard one could be.......:dizzy: :dizzy:

litefoot said:
Hey Troll, why does a saw from your neighbor to the east cost so much more than a German-made saw? Higher tariffs?:confused:
No logic at all, just price policies....Husky want to be "exclusive", I believe....

They are also the only (?) brand that is "full service dealers only" here, Stihl and Jred is not.....

Yes, the question about the clutch I guess depends on what you prefer.
From my point of view, I never had problems with the clutch on my Huskies. The only annoying part is when it comes to changing rim sprocket which is faster done on the stihls. In my case, the frequency of doing it is so low that I prefer having a thinner saw body instead.

Sawtroll, btw, could you recommend me any german chainsaw forum?

/Peter

Latest posts

Back