Husky pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Right now I'm running an older craftsman saw, which is on it's way out and is just under powered for my needs. So I'm in the market for a new saw and have looked at Stihl, Husq, and Echo brand saws. I've looked both at dealers , on-line and box stores. The two that felt the best in my hands where the Husq 353 & 359 and the Echo 5100. So to my question , I'm leaning towards the 353 and have been pricing them out. I found them from $348-$438 for the same saw. The Echo prices where within 10 dollars of each other. Is it normal for the prices to vary $100 +/- on the same equipment? I liked to buy from a local dealer but not sure if I can justify the extra $100 or so. Why so much gap in pricing with the Husky and not Stihl and Echo?
Thanks!

If you can preform your own saw mantaince and repairs then for that kind of differance buy online or from a catolog. If not then you should buy from a dealer. I can tell you if you buy it from a box store or online the odds of your local dealer helping you when you break down are nill. The "well I won't tell him where I got it" won't work either..... He'll know you didn't buy it from him and that you got if from a box store or online.

As for the price gap thing, I don't know other than each dealer is different.

I purchased my 359 online. I modded the muffler and cut the limiter caps so that shot the dealer/warranty issue. I got a 359 with 4 chains, shirt and hat shipped to my door for $409. Couldn't be happier with my purchase. Especially with the muffler modded.

My local dealer could care less where I got the saw,he's already $100-$200 off list price, but I sure have to watch out for some the parts I buy there as they can be two to three times higher than they should be.

I'm looking at the 353 myself. I have about seven Husky dealer's within a half hour of me. Only one dealer stocks the 353. He is about a half hour away, not really a big deal, they're a great dealer. He wants $389 + tax for one with a 16 inch bar. The other dealer's can and will order one for me. Four of them want $389 to $399 for one. One dealer will order one for $440. I said $440 for a 353, he said yeah, I said see ya! One dealer told me the 353 was an older saw and Husky wasn't going to make them anymore. Basically he doesn't stock them and wants to sell me a saw that he already has in stock. I don't deal with liars so he'll never see or hear from me again, they can go out of business for all I care!

I have a Jonsered dealer about 10 minutes from me that sells 2152's (16" bar) for $379. I think I like the handle bar angle on the Husky 353 a little better. I haven't compared them side by side yet though!

NYH1 said:
I'm looking at the 353 myself. I have about seven Husky dealer's within a half hour of me. Only one dealer stocks the 353. He is about a half hour away, not really a big deal, they're a great dealer. He wants $389 + tax for one with a 16 inch bar. The other dealer's can and will order one for me. Four of them want $389 to $399 for one. One dealer will order one for $440. I said $440 for a 353, he said yeah, I said see ya! One dealer told me the 353 was an older saw and Husky wasn't going to make them anymore. Basically he doesn't stock them and wants to sell me a saw that he already has in stock. I don't deal with liars so he'll never see or hear from me again, they can go out of business for all I care!

I have a Jonsered dealer about 10 minutes from me that sells 2152's (16" bar) for $379. I think I like the handle bar angle on the Husky 353 a little better. I haven't compared them side by side yet though!

You cant go wrong with 353, nice 'lil saw it is...

NYH1 said:

If you arent opposed to buying from online dealers try Norwalk power equipment I think its www.*****.com Bought my 395 from them at well below the so called dealer here. He claims to be a dealer but doesnt stock any saws.

dustytools, thanks. I've been to that site before and they do have great prices but I'm going to buy from a local dealer. I'll buy some accessories on line, mostly things my dealer might not carry. Last week I bought an 18 inch Arbor Pro narrow kerf bar and a Woodsman Pro 20NK chain from Bailey's for my 029.

Don't forget to check out Bailey's. Bought my 359 from them last year and so far zero problems. Plus they have all kinds of necessities you can add to your order. Their catalog reminds me of when I was a little kid how I loved the Sears Christmas toy catalog. Now that I'm a big kid.......:cheers::chainsaw:

for the size of the wood in central maine you will probably be better off with the 353 and it is a decent saw. tell the dealer that you can buy it online for $350 but you would rather put the money locally, how about $370, you'd pay that in shipping anyway. It would be better for him to make a little money than to not see it at all. everyone wins.

BTW where are you in Maine?

Buck

Dealer pricing

The quantity discount schedule on the various pricing column can make it an impossability for a local dealer to match online pricing. It is a double edged sword. If a manufacturer gets aggressive enforcing pricing and territory they can be accused of price fixing. People think that the local dealer is ripping them off when really the dealer does not get even close to the price break a larger dealer does who places larger orders. The end result many times is saws sitting on the local dealers shelf which he is paying interest on and people think he is trying to get rich by selling at list price. Lawn and Garden is a tough market for a small owner to start or continue because of the minimums most brands require you carry some of which you KNOW will never sell.

Thanks for all the replies! I like the 353 allot, I'm just not sure where to buy. I can get it on-line for $348 18" free shipping and free extra chain, bar cover and files. And at the dealer $410. I just don't feel good about the dealer. It stems from a conversation I had with another employee at the dealer. He told me that they don't like dealing with husky because they sell to the box stores. He then begins to tell me that if you buy there and bring to them for service they tag it and let it sit for a couple weeks..regardless even if there not busy. I understand that your customers come first I get that. What I don't get is jerkin people around like that. I mean how much profit can they make on that one saw sale? No matter what it is I would bet they make a whole lot more selling you parts and service. I stopped at an Echo dealer after, on the way home. I asked if it was tough dealing with Echo being sold at box stores? He said I think it's great, The more product out there the more work and parts orders I get. Thanks again for the replies!

Myself

I'd say this. I just bought a 137 for the wife. I'm going to recommend that you spend a little more money and get yourself a PRO saw. This is why. Upgradability, dependability, resale, reliability, weight etc... All these come into play when you buy a saw. If your cutting even 4 or 5 cord of wood every year, your better off with a pro saw. My suggestion would be the husky 346XP. It's a little more hp than the 353, but it's a pro saw that has alot of features that the 353 does not. It will also give you a much better resale than the cheap little homeowners saw. You will also find that you'll be able to get bigger bars and better chain easier with the XP models. I'm just finding this out. The 137 I bought has probably the cheapest bar I've ever seen in my life. The thing is literally junk. It's about as thick as a penny and I think a good breeze would make it bend. I've also noticed this on a few of the other homeowners models. Spend the extra little bit now and buy an XP model. I am trading the 137 in for a 346XP for her. It's going to cost me an extra $100, but in the long run, it's worth every penny. Please heed my advice before you purchase one of these homeowners saws. So you know, I've formed this opinion in the last 2 weeks since I purchased this saw for the wifey... Hope this helps you make your decision.:popcorn:

ciscoguy01 said:
My suggestion would be the husky 346XP. It's a little more hp than the 353, but it's a pro saw that has alot of features that the 353 does not.
What features does the 346XP have that the 353 doesn't have?

differences

NYH1 said:
What features does the 346XP have that the 353 doesn't have?

Well, it's more hp, has an angled handle for better comfort, weighs less, runs almost 2000 rpm higher. These are what I could find quickly. I think the warranty on the XP saws is longer also if I'm not mistaken...

Course you can put the Nascar bar on both of them. I guess that makes'em equal, lmao...

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the 353 and 346XP are basically the same saws. The difference being the 353 has a little bit more displacement. That brings the power band down. It also makes the power band wider and even more user friendly on the 353. The 353 has a decompression valve where the 346XP doesn't. As far as I know both saws use the same bar and chains. Some people on this site will tell you that the 353 cuts faster in larger wood (10, 12, 14 inches) then the 346XP because of the added displacement. They say the 346XP will cut faster in thinner wood (4, 6, 8 inches) when limbing.

Anyone else have anything to add here?

New saw

Soooo, I called the dealer where I bought the little 137 today. After getting off the phone with him and telling him I'd rather get into a pro saw, I asked him if he could do something for me on the other one since it's only 2 weeks old and only has a couple hours of runtime on it and it seems a little cheaply made. NO DIBS. Says he doesn't want anything to do with it. TAYLOR RENTAL of Plattsburgh, NY is their name. Now I've been in there like half a dozen times and prolly spent roughly $500 in there between the saw, chains, oil, covers, PPE, etc... Sooooo, now they will never see another single solitary dime from me if I crap it out on the sidewalk, I'll pick it up first before they get it. Soooo, Parkside Supply up in wilmington, NY is going to do something for me. Funny, I've only spent about $50 on chains there and he's willing to help me out. Hence, I'm trading it in and buying a new Stihl for the wifey. A little MS210 is what she will have next.

ciscoguy01 said:
Well, it's more hp, has an angled handle for better comfort, weighs less, runs almost 2000 rpm higher. These are what I could find quickly. I think the warranty on the XP saws is longer also if I'm not mistaken...

Course you can put the Nascar bar on both of them. I guess that makes'em equal, lmao...
Does the NASCAR bar make them cut faster

ciscoguy01 said:
Soooo, I called the dealer where I bought the little 137 today. After getting off the phone with him and telling him I'd rather get into a pro saw, I asked him if he could do something for me on the other one since it's only 2 weeks old and only has a couple hours of runtime on it and it seems a little cheaply made. NO DIBS. Says he doesn't want anything to do with it. TAYLOR RENTAL of Plattsburgh, NY is their name. Now I've been in there like half a dozen times and prolly spent roughly $500 in there between the saw, chains, oil, covers, PPE, etc... Sooooo, now they will never see another single solitary dime from me if I crap it out on the sidewalk, I'll pick it up first before they get it. Soooo, Parkside Supply up in wilmington, NY is going to do something for me. Funny, I've only spent about $50 on chains there and he's willing to help me out. Hence, I'm trading it in and buying a new Stihl for the wifey. A little MS210 is what she will have next.
ciscoguy01, I'd recommend a 14 inch bar on the MS210. I had a 16 inch bar on my 021 and switch to a 14 inch bar. It cuts a lot better with the shorter bar. Good luck!

Back