Husky Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylornic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 268xp I'm getting ready to put together. I have a few questions I would like your input on...

1. I notice the 272 has a heat shield between the muffler and cylinder. Would there be any benefit to adding one to a 268?

2. If I use a 272 cylinder on this build, will the 268 carb work fine?

3. Are there any differences in flywheel timing on a 272 flywheel, keyway location differences, etc? Or, will a 268 flywheel work fine?

Thanks,
Taylor

I have a 268xp I'm getting ready to put together. I have a few questions I would like your input on...

1. I notice the 272 has a heat shield between the muffler and cylinder. Would there be any benefit to adding one to a 268?

3. Are there any differences in flywheel timing on a 272 flywheel, keyway location differences, etc? Or, will a 268 flywheel work fine?

Thanks,
Taylor

My 262 has that heat sheild too. Newer saws do not use one so I took mine off

66/266.....HS-224A

268........HS-234B

66/266/....HS-254B

268XPS.....HS-260A

272S.......HS-255B

I believe they have different size bolts so you will need a carb as well.

Bottom end is identical don't worry about the flywheel.

Last edited:
Did you buy the cylinder yet? There is a brand new 268 cylinder on the trading post for 120.00 I think. that is a very good deal for an oem cyl.

Thanks,
Taylor

Tatlor,
1. I also think you'll be fine without the heat shield. 2. the 268 carb will physically fit the 272 cylinder but the carbs are different. You wouldn't get optimum performance, an example is the 266 and 268 are same bore and stroke saw , but 268 has larger venturi carb and higher hp. But if it is a matter of cost and availability the saw will run fine if your just looking for a good firewood cutter. the flywheel, keyway locations etc are also identical. I just built a 266xp that had a mucked up clutch side crank journal and replaced it with a good used 272 crank. just finished it up last week and ran a couple of tanks of fuel through it to break it in. Great running saw. BTW the 61,266-272 saws are my favorite series of saws to play around with. there seems to be a lot of them around here and i've mixed and matched them several times to make good running saws. have fun and let us know how it turns out. Always love a good saw build thread.

Thanks guys for the fast replies.

I have a 268xp cylinder for the build. I was thinking about going with a 272, so thats why the questions concerning the 272 carb and timing.

As for the shield, I noticed it showing in the IPL for the 272, but not for the 268. So I was just curious if the 268 would benefit from the addition of one.

Once I get everything situated, I will update. OR, ask another question, which ever comes first. :)

Back