husquvarna 272xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemsontiger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my cousin has a 272xp that he got from his grandfather who used it at the sawmill. it ran good but then one thing led to another and it ended up getting an almost whole rebuild. new piston rings muffler new carb etc. after we got it all back together dang was it a strong saw. but to me it seemed... really hard to pull. i never remeber the compression on it but when it was running it was hitting so hard we sat it in the floor of my grandfathers small engine shop and whatched it ping ping ping acrosss the floor. it was a monster with a 20" bar. but after maybe a couple months disaster came. something ive never seen or heard much of, but a piece of the spark plug tip broke off and totaly destroyed the piston exhaust port, scratched up the intake and banged up the squish band good. so heres where i come in, he ended up not rebuilding it again and moved on. so now it sits in my grandfathers shop collecting dust. my question is is it worth me to try and buy it off him. 100 tops, a p/c kit, oil seals, bearings, etc. and come out on top? and alos this is probablys stupid, but can one put a 372 or 372xpw p/c on a 272 case????

Justin

i paid $50 each of my 272's but i'd would have paid the same if they where not running
you can pick up a new top end for about $75. there good saws and there worth spending a little money on them in my option..

Spark plugs

my cousin has a 272xp that he got from his grandfather who used it at the sawmill. it ran good but then one thing led to another and it ended up getting an almost whole rebuild. new piston rings muffler new carb etc. after we got it all back together dang was it a strong saw. but to me it seemed... really hard to pull. i never remeber the compression on it but when it was running it was hitting so hard we sat it in the floor of my grandfathers small engine shop and whatched it ping ping ping acrosss the floor. it was a monster with a 20" bar. but after maybe a couple months disaster came. something ive never seen or heard much of, but a piece of the spark plug tip broke off and totaly destroyed the piston exhaust port, scratched up the intake and banged up the squish band good. so heres where i come in, he ended up not rebuilding it again and moved on. so now it sits in my grandfathers shop collecting dust. my question is is it worth me to try and buy it off him. 100 tops, a p/c kit, oil seals, bearings, etc. and come out on top? and alos this is probablys stupid, but can one put a 372 or 372xpw p/c on a 272 case????

Justin

Have had 2 Bosch plugs ruin 2 saws, electrodes off both times.ie ,no more Bosch for me.

ping ping ping across the floor, then a broken plug...gee, I wonder what happened during the rebuild...*maybe* the wrong plug got put in? Just a scosh too long?

i paid $50 each of my 272's but i'd would have paid the same if they where not running
you can pick up a new top end for about $75. there good saws and there worth spending a little money on them in my option..

I doubt I would have wanted to use that $75 top end - some of the aftermarket ones are pretty crappy.....:givebeer:

rebuild

im pretty confident it all was put back together correctly. just the plug??? you may have a point. either way, are they worth buting a couple hundred into for a rebuild?

meimiao1.jpg
jh88.jpg
test.jpg
dh.jpg
pad.jpg

Spambot?

Damn good , fast , powerful saws them 272's . I'd rebuild in a heartbeat . With a little mm , port work , you're easily pushing 6.5 -7 hp IMO . :rock:

I am keeping an eye out for a 272xp for at least half a year and can't find one......grrrr. One of the best Husqvarna saws ever built, according to people in the knowing.;)

I am keeping an eye out for a 272xp for at least half a year and can't find one......grrrr. One of the best Husqvarna saws ever built, according to people in the knowing.;)

Well if your search comes up dry, let me know. I have a cherry "Western" style 272 that could head your way, along with some
"Western" 288 parts I've been accumulating for you.

In my opinion the Husky 272XP is the best saw Husky every built.
Very powerful, I use a 24"bar on mine.
I would love to get another one, and I am working on a project Husky 272XP as I type this.
Slowly buying parts for it.

A guy can never have too many husky 272XPs laying around.

I would love to get another one, and I am working on a project Husky 272XP as I type this.

I have a good case half left over from a recent rebuild - clutch side. PM me your address if you want it

372?

my question is though, could one put a 372 or 372xpw on a 272 case? meteor offers a p/c kit from baileys but its the 50 mm kit instead of the 52mm..

372xp vs 272 xp

Just curious, since you guys are taking the 272 xp thing. I have a 372 xp and like it a great deal and just picked up a 272 xp that has low hrs and is very clean.What are your thoughts on which one is a better saw and why. Or are the the same principly.

my question is though, could one put a 372 or 372xpw on a 272 case? meteor offers a p/c kit from baileys but its the 50 mm kit instead of the 52mm..
No, it wont fit. You're better off finding a good used OEM 272 cylinder, and a meteor piston. I just poked around ebay for a decent used cylinder, and found nothing, but they do show up from time to time.

Just curious, since you guys are taking the 272 xp thing. I have a 372 xp and like it a great deal and just picked up a 272 xp that has low hrs and is very clean.What are your thoughts on which one is a better saw and why. Or are the the same principly.

I have a 272xp and a 371xp which is pretty much the same as a 372xp . And I like them both . For the type of hardwood I cut for firewood it is a toss up between the two . The 371 feels a little lighter in your hands and has better anti-vibe . The 272 feels like it has more torque and just a more rugged feel to it . I guess it just depends on what you are using the saw for . As I get older I do tend to grab my smaller and lighter saws more often . Some days I don't even use the compression release other days I am glad its there .

Back