Husqvaran 51 or Stihl MS270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpflyer

Reaction score
I need a backup saw for clearing lots. Trees are 8 to 12 inch Oak. I was looking at used Husky51 for 150.00 and Stihl MS270 for 200.00 Both used but in good condition. Which one?

id say Stihl :p
Never run a Husky51 but tommorow I'll be using a brand new MS270 (about 20hrs on it from what I was told) for bucking up firewood for a local community charity that donates half of what it sells to the needy, a good cause, I'll let ya know what I think of it. This one has a decompression valve on it and is running an 18" bar, it fired up on the second pull after sitting for several months, gotta like that. I'd check the compression on both those saws (hang them by the starter cords is a good one rec'd by several here in the past), look at the drive sprockets for wear and for cracks and wear else where etc etc, go with the one in best shape and least potential for letting you down. Good luck on your choice!
Just my 0.02$ worth. :)

The 51 is a good little saw. I have always been pleased with mine. When I modded the muffler I wasn't expecting much, but was surprised by how well it responded.

MS270 is newer model than 51, no dispute here.
And only PS5100 has more HP for 50cc than MS270, no disputing here too. If 50$ difference is not problem, get MS270, its antivibe is much better than HVA 51

I have a Husky 51/16" as my "small" saw. Great saw and I have not noticed any vibration problem with it. Were it to blow up, I would be shopping for a new Husky in the same size. Haven't run any Stihl in the same size so I can't compare them.

Harry K

Freakingstang said:
... Go with the husky. It is a much newer design, has great air filtration and more power than the ms270. ......
:help: The MS270 is an about 20 years newer design than the Husky 51......

At least at first, there were no "air injection" system on the 50, 51, 55 series, but it may of course have been added at some point in production....

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I love my MS270. Used it a few days ago in some 18-20" Hickory all day with no complaints. No experience with Husky's.

Latest posts

Back