Husqvarna 242xp Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtcurt

sawsnob
Reaction score
Hello, I picked up a local 242xp with a bad piston and a missing muffler. I ran into a problem today figuring out the new OEM 242xp fuel line was the wrong one for my saw. In my research figuring out the fuel line, I discovered that the 242 piston I put in may not be the correct one as well. It runs pretty darn good, and I did not tach it (i don't have a tach), so I don't know what "good" is. Last, I can't seem to figure out the fuel cap seal either. My 242xp is pretty old but looks great. It has the old-style decals on the 242xp recoil and top cover. My main and first question is the piston. I put one in that came from the Little Red Barn for 24.99 PN #503513201. It starts idles and runs good enough for me to not know if it's wrong. The only thing I had problems with was the saw would die if you cut the throttle in a cut. I did not know there was a primary air screen on the side and found/cleaned it and the stalling all but stopped occurring. When I checked the new piston to the old one, they looked exactly the same. I did not measure any part of the new piston, just set them up side by side and thought they were the same. Are they the same?

This is the piston I used.

Attachments

• 2055D33B-1029-4ACE-B6F5-ED8088D72594.jpeg
    2055D33B-1029-4ACE-B6F5-ED8088D72594.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
As others have cited that piston is the correct (and likely only) part for that saw. Proper aftermarket replicas of the 242 piston are few & far between... and NOS parts are virtually impossible to find.

Fuel hose: I would plan to, when convenient, replace that original 2-series part....after 30yrs they don't seal well anymore. And of course, like 95% of other 2-series parts you can't buy a new one. The solution is to use a modern curly Stihl fuel hose. The one accommodation for doing this however is you will need to drill out the hole in the fuel tank to a slightly larger size. I've done this to three 242xp's that I rebuilt; it's a simple and permanent solution.

Fuel cap... well it's the same as many 2-series so look for a used cap and hope it's seal is better. I suppose you could remake a replacement if you had some equivalently thick smooth rubber. Ebay may have something as chinese aftermarket...always worth a look.

Otherwise nice 242... is a '91 for what it's worth. Don't break any parts, they are rather difficult, if not impossible to find ;) ... it shares 90% of its parts with the 42 though, so getting a complete -cheap- 42 donor saw is probably a smart way forward.

As others have cited that piston is the correct (and likely only) part for that saw. Proper aftermarket replicas of the 242 piston are few & far between... and NOS parts are virtually impossible to find.

Fuel hose: I would plan to, when convenient, replace that original 2-series part....after 30yrs they don't seal well anymore. And of course, like 95% of other 2-series parts you can't buy a new one. The solution is to use a modern curly Stihl fuel hose. The one accommodation for doing this however is you will need to drill out the hole in the fuel tank to a slightly larger size. I've done this to three 242xp's that I rebuilt; it's a simple and permanent solution.

Fuel cap... well it's the same as many 2-series so look for a used cap and hope it's seal is better. I suppose you could remake a replacement if you had some equivalently thick smooth rubber. Ebay may have something as chinese aftermarket...always worth a look.

Otherwise nice 242... is a '91 for what it's worth. Don't break any parts, they are rather difficult, if not impossible to find ;) ... it shares 90% of its parts with the 42 though, so getting a complete -cheap- 42 donor saw is probably a smart way forward.
Thank you and I will be looking! It's a fun saw, so I don't plan on revenue with it, just fun. As far as finding parts I found out looking for the muffler. I was lucky a guy on Ebay had all the stuff I needed. He was selling the bolts and I asked if he had the rest:) The saw had the curly hose in it and I ordered the 242xp hose which as you see wouldn't work.

Pressure & vacuum test the crankcase. figure out why the first piston failed. The 242 shares a bearing seal assy on the pto side with the 238 and similar which is prone to failure. Last I knew the seal was back in limited production (3 or 4 years ago), but when it wasn't, lots of saws were sold for parts....you might have one of those.

I can find a Husqvarna curly fuel line but not a Stihl. Are there part numbers for the line? Is that a dealer only part?

I can find a Husqvarna curly fuel line but not a Stihl. Are there part numbers for the line? Is that a dealer only part?

Ya, I can elaborate a bit.. my memory is often not great and details of all my little tinkering projects become muddled.... my brain is full :rare2:

So turns out my system had to pieces. The Husqvarna curly hose (which we all know, and you've already identified). And then I used a fuel line grommet from Stihl, Part# 0000 989 0516 ... Amazon, Dealership, several places offer to sell this part.

Drilled out the hole on the 242 fuel tank a bit (don't recall how big), and also contoured with a dremel part of the shoulder associated with the molding for the rubber mount. I believe you can see this in the image provided. Sorry for the confusion... I knew I'd used a Stihl part, but forgot it was the grommet. Got the idea from other documented instances of folks updating their 2-series saws.... came off *********

20210212_152201.jpg

Back