Husqvarna 254xp - chain goes loose - help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have experienced worn/damaged/missing bar plates and worn clutch covers that would not apply even force on the bar. Once the drum has a hole where the sprocket rides dirt and steel shavings from the bar/chain get into the bearing causing crank wear or clutch bearing failure, the rim will also cock on it.
Sadly I believe your bar has Peroni's disease
That is not a very nice disease indeed, I belive you are right! :laugh:

And 562's.....

I've wrenched the nuts down before and still had them wind out on their own. As much as I like the fixed bar nuts, they don't tighten QUITE as well as the free ones.
Hah, I’m not the only one! I’ve had maybe 3 or so times where all of a sudden the clutch cover just fell off my 562, always on a felling cut. The first time or two I thought it was error on my end, but after a bit I realized it was actually the saw. The only saw I know that could compete with that was a 288 I saw where you could cinch down the nuts, fire up the saw, and watch them walk right off. Years later I’m guessing the studs were worn out (it always had a set of pretty new bar nuts on it), but at the time I thought 288’s must have too much power.

Hah, I’m not the only one! I’ve had maybe 3 or so times where all of a sudden the clutch cover just fell off my 562, always on a felling cut. The first time or two I thought it was error on my end, but after a bit I realized it was actually the saw. The only saw I know that could compete with that was a 288 I saw where you could cinch down the nuts, fire up the saw, and watch them walk right off. Years later I’m guessing the studs were worn out (it always had a set of pretty new bar nuts on it), but at the time I thought 288’s must have too much power.
A little Red loctite does wonders to solve that issue on worns threads .

Same happened.to.me cutting a 22" tan oak bowed between a gully on a SOD fuel reduction slaughter. The bar, chain, cover, and powerhead all separated at the same time.

Quite memorable! Lol.

That sounds scary, honestly.
Only had something similar happen once on a 254xp, the tension bolt broke and nuts+cover came out flying, not sure in which order. :oops:

As regards to this posts issue, I will update the thread once I have the adj. part + new drum + bar and chain.
It will be a few days or a week, since I don't want to pay overprice I order from abroad.

That sounds scary, honestly.
Only had something similar happen once on a 254xp, the tension bolt broke and nuts+cover came out flying, not sure in which order. :oops:

As regards to this posts issue, I will update the thread once I have the adj. part + new drum + bar and chain.
It will be a few days or a week, since I don't want to pay overprice I order from abroad.
Most of the time all that happens is the saw suddenly revs faster, the bar and chain stop spinning, and the clutch cover lands on my foot.

Most of the time all that happens is the saw suddenly revs faster, the bar and chain stop spinning, and the clutch cover lands on my foot.

Most.......lol

I've found if the forward nut slips, you can feel the chain tension loosen or a slight wiggle in the bar. If the rear one slips off, I don't usually notice unless i see it spinning.

Happened on my 540i a couple weeks back too. Definitely something with the retained nuts.

Most.......lol

I've found if the forward nut slips, you can feel the chain tension loosen or a slight wiggle in the bar. If the rear one slips off, I don't usually notice unless i see it spinning.

Happened on my 540i a couple weeks back too. Definitely something with the retained nuts.
I'm lucky, in a falling cut there's nowhere for the chain to go. If it blew while I was limbing, that'd be a whole 'nother story.

Update - sorry it took a while.

Got the tensioner part a few days back, but wanted to just update every part mentioned in this thread.

So, along with replacing the original rubber tensioner part, I also replaced
Bar + chain - brand new
Clutch drum + bearing + rim sprocket - brand new

And of course made sure to tighten down those bar nuts.

The saw runs, cuts and chain is now tight as it should be, even after testing a good while in wood.

Once again, thanks to everyone chiming in with help, feedback and tips etc.
:bowdown:
:numberone:

I just had the same problem. It was a brand new old stock oregon sprocket that was slightly wrong in the teeth. Took awhile. The other issues were just minor compared to when I put my older used oregon sprocket back on. From what I am seeing in saws now, this is rare, but can happen with multiple sprockets. Thankfully I had a good one on hand or I might have been frustrated for a long time and not just several hours.

Gabriel

I just had the same problem. It was a brand new old stock oregon sprocket that was slightly wrong in the teeth. Took awhile. The other issues were just minor compared to when I put my older used oregon sprocket back on. From what I am seeing in saws now, this is rare, but can happen with multiple sprockets. Thankfully I had a good one on hand or I might have been frustrated for a long time and not just several hours.

Gabriel
Saw drive components are perishable commodities . Buying quality manufactured parts or "you get what you pay for " applies ! Proper metallurgy ensures a much better wear & long service life , when combined with a little routine maintenance . ;)

Latest posts

Back