Husqvarna 254xp - chain goes loose - help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I see, sorry.
Here are 3, one is used.
Yeah , you can see the cupping , as Cookies also mentioned long term a new clutch drum & bearing will ensure long term satisfaction the crank bearing end play would require extensive involved testing . You should lubricate the clutch bearing at least annually also , more often in some applications . ;)

Eventually it will cause chain chatter , which will eventually damage the chain drivers & bar . Its also not good for the clutch bearing run out .

I see.

I found a used one, from a Jonsered 2153/Husky 353, and a used spur sprocket from a Husky 55 (has wear, clearly sadly)
I wonder if I can fit one of those instead.
Also found a brand new bearing as suggested by @cookies

Edit.
The Jonsered 2153 drum looks in good condition, it is very slighty "wider" than the Husqvarna 254 one, I don't think it matters when fitting the clutch though.

Picture shows.

Jonsered 2153 drum, Husqvarna 55 used worn drum, Husqvarna 254xp worn drum. In that order.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 0
I see.

I found a used one, from a Jonsered 2153/Husky 353, and a used spur sprocket from a Husky 55 (has wear, clearly sadly)
I wonder if I can fit one of those instead.
Also found a brand new bearing as suggested by @cookies

Edit.
The Jonsered 2153 drum looks in good condition, it is very slighty "wider" than the Husqvarna 254 one, I don't think it matters when fitting the clutch though.

Picture shows.

Jonsered 2153 drum, Husqvarna 55 used worn drum, Husqvarna 254xp worn drum. In that order.
As far as cross referencing parts , John has a wealth of knowledge in that and anything chainsaw . As for the clutch drum & components ensure to deglaze & degrease with brake clean . The needle roller bearing , ensure that needles are secure in their cage & roll smoothly also apply some assembly lube or appropriate grease prior to installation . Your in very capable hands with John & Cookies ! :cheers:

Im no expert, but I'm just going to point out that the adjustment screw does not hold the bar and chain in adjustment tension, it's the clamp force of the clutch cover to the bar pad.
I often back the adjustment screw from tension once I tighten the bar nuts.
Clean the oil from the bar plates upon reassembly, tighten the chain properly , along with the bar nuts and next time the chain will bind right up on a defective bar, taking the guess work out of the equation.
Ive also had alot of used bars, and bent a few adjustment screws with a kickback.

Im no expert, but I'm just going to point out that the adjustment screw does not hold the bar and chain in adjustment tension, it's the clamp force of the clutch cover to the bar pad.
I often back the adjustment screw from tension once I tighten the bar nuts.
Clean the oil from the bar plates upon reassembly, tighten the chain properly , along with the bar nuts and next time the chain will bind right up on a defective bar, taking the guess work out of the equation.
Ive also had alot of used bars, and bent a few adjustment screws with a kickback.
395’s will teach a fella to tighten bar nuts more

I have experienced worn/damaged/missing bar plates and worn clutch covers that would not apply even force on the bar. Once the drum has a hole where the sprocket rides dirt and steel shavings from the bar/chain get into the bearing causing crank wear or clutch bearing failure, the rim will also cock on it.
Sadly I believe your bar has Peroni's disease

Latest posts

Back