Husqvarna 262xp fuel problem, many new parts, very frustrating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 455 Rancher with almost exactly same fuel starve symptoms. Did the vented cap help, or did you find another solution?

I am curious if the vented cap worked as well.

If the cap doesn't work out, you might want to check your impulse passageway. Make sure the gasket seals it properly and it is not plugged. I had a 272 that someone filled the impulse passageway with epoxy...for what reason(besides stupidity), I don't know.:msp_scared:

I have a 455 Rancher with almost exactly same fuel starve symptoms. Did the vented cap help, or did you find another solution?

Unfortunately the cap(s) are coming from Canada along with some other parts. Most likely won't be here until the end of the month.:(

The impulse passageway. I don't know what that is, or where it is located. Can you point me in the right direction? I have not dismantled the saw yet but am willing to give it a shot. Thanks.

I am curious if the vented cap worked as well.

If the cap doesn't work out, you might want to check your impulse passageway. Make sure the gasket seals it properly and it is not plugged. I had a 272 that someone filled the impulse passageway with epoxy...for what reason(besides stupidity), I don't know.:msp_scared:

Well the 262 mystery is finally solved.

I bought a factory husky vented cap, put it on and the saw ran great...for about two minutes and then the carb started to run lean......WTF! I loosened the cap and bam she came right back. Ran the saw on its side, cap tight and it ran longer with the cap not being immersed in fuel. But eventually the carb starved out.

Finally, I broke the whole saw down and what I found was the 262 cylinder, the impulse line has a 90 degree turn in it. I blew into it and I could actually feel a restriction. I was able to clean it out with some copper wire and some carb cleaner. Put it all back together and problem is FINALLY solved. It runs great with the new tank vent, didn't need to use the vented cap.

I guess the impulse was just enough where the saw would run, but eventually either the demand for fuel from the engine or the restriction of the tank vent would "outstrip" the amount of fuel the weakened/restricted signal could provide.

So SkippyKtm is the winner....thanks

Last edited:
Well the 262 mystery is finally solved.

I bought a factory husky vented cap, put it on and the saw ran great...for about two minutes and then the carb started to run lean......WTF! I loosened the cap and bam she came right back. Ran the saw on its side, cap tight and it ran longer with the cap not being immersed in fuel. But eventually the carb starved out.

Finally, I broke the whole saw down and what I found was the 262 cylinder, the impulse line has a 90 degree turn in it. I blew into it and I could actually feel a restriction. I was able to clean it out with some copper wire and some carb cleaner. Put it all back together and problem is FINALLY solved. It runs great with the new tank vent, didn't need to use the vented cap.

I guess the impulse was just enough where the saw would run, but eventually either the demand for fuel from the engine or the restriction of the tank vent would "outstrip" the amount of fuel the weakened/restricted signal could provide.

So SkippyKtm is the winner....thanks

I got 351 Husqvarna and I got the same problem, will strip bloody thing down! I was just like you trying everything and couldnt find the problem. Will try the same what you have done, well done! :blob2:

I personally have not had a problem with these vents not venting they normally leak when turned on it's side. Guts are replaceable in the tube not necessary to buy the whole vent.
Shep
That's right. When I put my 262 on it's side on the floor of the passenger side of my pickup truck it always leaks. Another thing I've found is these Huskys hate ethanol gas. If you don't use a good stabilizer in your gas you have a problem.

Back