Husqvarna 266xp rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT34

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
IMG_0759.JPGIMG_0760.JPGIMG_0761.JPGIMG_0762.JPG
Hi All
I have been rebuilding a 266xp and I have a few questions for the experts out there
When I got it it was in a terrible state and to be honest the only parts I have reused from the original saw are the clutch assembly,piston, cylinder intake parts and carb. All the rest of the parts have come from a clean husky 61 donor saw with new decals, ring, fuel and oil caps, dust seal, plug and filter, carb kit and a clean second hand top cover sourced from the uk. Exhaust is an oem off a Tomos 66 and I have it a slight muffler mod and base gasket delete. It runs very nice
So I have 2 questions firstly is the crankcase off the 61 the same as the 266 when it comes to the crank is the stroke the same?
Secondly it had a plastic handle on the chain brake but it was in a terrible state and couldn’t be reused so the options were aftermarket which looked terrible or use the very clean metal handle chain brake off the 61, would the 266xp ever have came with the metal chain brake?
Thanks again John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 668605View attachment 668606View attachment 668607View attachment 668608
Hi All
I have been rebuilding a 266xp and I have a few questions for the experts out there
When I got it it was in a terrible state and to be honest the only parts I have reused from the original saw are the clutch assembly,piston, cylinder intake parts and carb. All the rest of the parts have come from a clean husky 61 donor saw with new decals, ring, fuel and oil caps, dust seal, plug and filter, carb kit and a clean second hand top cover sourced from the uk. Exhaust is an oem off a Tomos 66 and I have it a slight muffler mod and base gasket delete. It runs very nice
So I have 2 questions firstly is the crankcase off the 61 the same as the 266 when it comes to the crank is the stroke the same?
Secondly it had a plastic handle on the chain brake but it was in a terrible state and couldn’t be reused so the options were aftermarket which looked terrible or use the very clean metal handle chain brake off the 61, would the 266xp ever have came with the metal chain brake?
Thanks again John
Yes early 266 used the metal flag brake

Any ideas as to what it would be worth - the bar and chain were 100 euro and came off my 372xp

Nice looking saw I have its twins. Value is hard because the prices seem to rise lately on the next size up saws. I'd have to ask at least $550us for mine and maybe get $475USD. Back in there day the 266 's were the best.

Hello John, I have the same saw and year but missing the chain brake cover and have the full wrap hndle. Those are not easy to find in good condition. If you still have it could you send a picture of the part number thats cast on the inside? Much appreciated. Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_20230811_161701782_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230811_161701782_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230812_155957193_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230812_155957193_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back