Husqvarna 268

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottom of the cyclone was top thick to fit down in the cases. Not sure why. I thought the 272 open port was a direct fit on the closed port 268. I was able to shave the .010 off the make the cylinder fit though.....

The bottom of the cyclone was top thick to fit down in the cases. Not sure why. I thought the 272 open port was a direct fit on the closed port 268. I was able to shave the .010 off the make the cylinder fit though.....

China stuff always hit or miss it seems...all the OEM cyls. from the 61 to the 272XP will fit those cases...as well as the 625, 630 and 670 Jerds......open port or closed makes no difference.

So I got it all together and running, just need to break it in. I must saw I'm not to impressed with the compression it has. .022 squish with no base gasket and only blows 120 psi. Maybe it'll pick a little more when it breaks in. I guess you get what you pay for

I guess I should have listened. 2 tanks of fuel through it and plating cam off the cylinder. Guess I'll be buying any other p/c....fml!!

Attachments

• 20180131_161554.jpg
    20180131_161554.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
I get what your trying to do but "don't fix what's not broke" you had perfect compression and probably picked up a little when you deleted the base gasket on the oem. What I see happening here is your gonna catch a ring and destroy the whole saw. Even if you put the larger cylinder on, is there gonna be gains by not having the larger carb venturi? Only the experienced can answer that. More fuel and air = power and if you carb is chocking it up? Post what carb you have also. Don't flame me if I'm wrong guys lol.

I get what your trying to do but "don't fix what's not broke" you had perfect compression and probably picked up a little when you deleted the base gasket on the oem. What I see happening here is your gonna catch a ring and destroy the whole saw. Even if you put the larger cylinder on, is there gonna be gains by not having the larger carb venturi? Only the experienced can answer that. More fuel and air = power and if you carb is chocking it up? Post what carb you have also. Don't flame me if I'm wrong guys lol.
I thought of that but its the same carb from the 268 to the 272...

While it's tore apart I noticed some side to side play with the connecting rod on the crank. Can anyone tell me how much tolerance there is suppose to be?

While it's tore apart I noticed some side to side play with the connecting rod on the crank. Can anyone tell me how much tolerance there is suppose to be?

There is quite a bit of space between the counter weights and the lower end of the rod.....that is not a problem because what centers the con rod on the crank pin is the piston. On a stock 268/272 there should only be 0.012" to maybe 0.015" clearance between the upper rod and the piston bosses that hold the wrist pin. That has always been an issue with most aftermarket pistons. Meteor is the only AM piston I use.....they seem to understand that this fit is important. Episan is a close second. Sometimes the China stuff is good.... sometimes not.....and not worth the potential grief to me to try and save a couple bucks.....IMHO Someone on here years ago said something that stuck with me...he said " If you have a saw that turns 13,000 rpm.....remember..... that piston has to stop and reverse direction 26,000 times a minute so the piston had best be up for it"

Sounds to me you turned a runner I to a bench sitter. You should of taken the well experienced advise and just did a delete and muffler mod, re-tune and go cut. Maybe but down the air filter kit you were Interested in and cover. That would of kept you busy enough to not risk the rest of the saw for a few cc's

Sounds to me you turned a runner I to a bench sitter. You should of taken the well experienced advise and just did a delete and muffler mod, re-tune and go cut. Maybe but down the air filter kit you were Interested in and cover. That would of kept you busy enough to not risk the rest of the saw for a few cc's
I sure did, for about a half a hour anyway, put the stock cylinder back on and got it going again. Just not how i like it

I sure did, for about a half a hour anyway, put the stock cylinder back on and got it going again. Just not how i like it
Just not how you like it? Seams like you didn't know where or what this was to be after you tinkered with it. A saws CC class reflects in a lot of ways and there are trade offs to make with each. Larger motor equals larger saw and weight and so on and so goes the opposite . The best thing you can do in my opinion is a a two saw plan. This one mm and delete with a 18-20" bar. And a 372xp or a 576xp with a 24-28" but with what you said you're cutting that may be over kill. This reminds me of the geico commercial below. You saw being geico. Lol

Eric...I know the cyl is trashed but what did the piston look like??? Got any pics of that?
It was much worse but I clean it up some

Attachments

• 20180201_172306.jpg
    20180201_172306.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180201_172318.jpg
    20180201_172318.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180201_172326.jpg
    20180201_172326.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Back