Husqvarna 268

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just not how you like it? Seams like you didn't know where or what this was to be after you tinkered with it. A saws CC class reflects in a lot of ways and there are trade offs to make with each. Larger motor equals larger saw and weight and so on and so goes the opposite . The best thing you can do in my opinion is a a two saw plan. This one mm and delete with a 18-20" bar. And a 372xp or a 576xp with a 24-28" but with what you said you're cutting that may be over kill. This reminds me of the geico commercial below. You saw being geico. Lol

Yeah I get what your saying but I just want the most out of the saw regardless of what I use it for. Mainly just a project anyway. There is plenty of wood here to use all that saw wants and then some. I have friends that run 372s and stihl 441s. I have smaller saws for small stuff but I need this saw for larger wood. I did plan to build a hutzl 372 kit but not sure about that now with my problem I had...
I should just rebuild the entire saw anyway, the saw is sentimental since my father gave it to me and he just passed away last month.

****.......well at least most of the "plating" went out the exhaust rather than in the crankcase........looks more like silver paint than actual plating...junk.....
I first notice it on the spark plug, I thought it was solder from my squish test. Your right absolutely junk

Yeah I get what your saying but I just want the most out of the saw regardless of what I use it for. Mainly just a project anyway. There is plenty of wood here to use all that saw wants and then some. I have friends that run 372s and stihl 441s. I have smaller saws for small stuff but I need this saw for larger wood. I did plan to build a hutzl 372 kit but not sure about that now with my problem I had...
I should just rebuild the entire saw anyway, the saw is sentimental since my father gave it to me and he just passed away last month.
Sorry to hear about you Dad passing.

Sorry to hear about you Dad passing.
Thanks, the main reason I want to turn it into a good useful saw. He also has a 266xp, jonsered 630 and a old partner. I think I might get the 266 next. Its much older than the 268. If I do get those other saws I'm not sure what the plan will be for them but I know they will need work to get them going. I think I'll leave the 266 alone and just get it going. I don't know enough about the 630 to have a use for it...

So this is what I'm getting for compression with stock cylinder, cold with no base gasket....

Attachments

• 20180202_191427.jpg
    20180202_191427.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
that's more like it
Now thats tremendous. Now just open up the muffler re-tune the carb properly and run 40:1 and maybe hunt out the filter setup you'd like on it.
I wanted to also ask You when you assembled the new AM P&C from farmertec did you pre-lube the entire assembly with two stroke oil?

Now thats tremendous. Now just open up the muffler re-tune the carb properly and run 40:1 and maybe hunt out the filter setup you'd like on it.
I wanted to also ask You when you assembled the new AM P&C from farmertec did you pre-lube the entire assembly with two stroke oil?
Yes I sure did pre oil with a light coat. I am not a newbie to 2 strokes just a newbie to digging into chainsaws....

Sooooo......I was thinking, which can be scary at times but it is what it is lol. If it's ok with my father wife and I can get my hands on my dad's old 266 maybe I'll just swap the cylinders. 266 closed port cylinder on the 268 . That was it'll be a good oem closed port cylinder I don't have to worry about all the b.s I just went through with a.m. That's if the 266 top end is any good anyway. This won't be till down the road some time anyway. But what do you guys think....

Sooooo......I was thinking, which can be scary at times but it is what it is lol. If it's ok with my father wife and I can get my hands on my dad's old 266 maybe I'll just swap the cylinders. 266 closed port cylinder on the 268 . That was it'll be a good oem closed port cylinder I don't have to worry about all the b.s I just went through with a.m. That's if the 266 top end is any good anyway. This won't be till down the road some time anyway. But what do you guys think....

Not sure what you would gain......just use the 266 as is...good saws that'll hold it's own. Not a lot different that your 268....perhaps a tad more power but they don't make quite as much as the 268XP which has larger transfers. You'd really like the Jonsered 630 too...same family as your others...good power...less cc but good porting...run nice....of course that depends on condition and the fact that later ones (Super II) were the best from a performance stand point. In general all three saw are good and if in decent condition worth repairing/using. The 268 is the one I would build a performance saw from...mostly due the one piece ign....keep an eye on ebay, a good 272XP cyl will come along sooner or later.....or scrounge around your local dealer for a junked out saw....guess I don't have to say stay away from China junk..!!...LOL!!!

Not sure what you would gain......just use the 266 as is...good saws that'll hold it's own. Not a lot different that your 268....perhaps a tad more power but they don't make quite as much as the 268XP which has larger transfers. You'd really like the Jonsered 630 too...same family as your others...good power...less cc but good porting...run nice....of course that depends on condition and the fact that later ones (Super II) were the best from a performance stand point. In general all three saw are good and if in decent condition worth repairing/using. The 268 is the one I would build a performance saw from...mostly due the one piece ign....keep an eye on ebay, a good 272XP cyl will come along sooner or later.....or scrounge around your local dealer for a junked out saw....guess I don't have to say stay away from China junk..!!...LOL!!!
If I knew how to port I would tackle it on the 266 cylinder but I don't know enough or have the right tools to do so. Not sure what a good porting cost but I would love to have it done for the 268 like you said for a performance saw...

Also, I thought a remember reading about a windowed 268xp piston in a open for cylinder. Is there any gains as a direct fit?
A closer look at the hd air filter that was offered for these saws at one time looks better and alot less restrictive?

Also, I thought a remember reading about a windowed 268xp piston in a open for cylinder. Is there any gains as a direct fit?
A closer look at the hd air filter that was offered for these saws at one time looks better and alot less restrictive?
I have both filter setups, and the HD is actually a little more restrictive than the mesh type. However, the HD filter offers much better filtration than the nylon mesh type. Also, there is 2 or three different mesh sizes for the mesh type filter.

I have both filter setups, and the HD is actually a little more restrictive than the mesh type. However, the HD filter offers much better filtration than the nylon mesh type. Also, there is 2 or three different mesh sizes for the mesh type filter.
Interesting. To look at them I would have thought the hd would have flowed better being more open. What was the purpose of the hd filter kit

Ran my 268xp today for the first time. Scary moment. Do you guys torque down nuts that hold the bar on? I've heard the jokes about Husky's and loose bolts. Lesson learned about checking tightness of bolts BEFORE running a saw...

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 13
Where did you end up getting an OE
Top end for $35? Right place/time deal???

I ended up picking up a 268xp for $200. Good runner, top end upgrade later down the line. Great thread!
On here someone had listed one used in good condition about a year ago.

Latest posts

Back