• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Husqvarna 288xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Gotta well used 288xp high top full wrap. I went ALL through this saw from top to bottom with intentions of keeping this saw for myself, but plans have changed. It's all OEM with the exception of the aftermarket clutch cover....I waited and waited for OEM, but they hard to find in good shape. This one works well, but it is aftermarket. It has a nice Mahle decomp topend. All stock, not even muffler modded. Compression is 165. The recoil cover is from a 288 Lite, but this is not a lite saw. The top cover has been trimmed for a muffler mod as you can see in the pictures below, it also has a crack in the top cover where it was trimmed. Saw runs good and everything works as it should. It sure isn't a beauty queen by any means, but it does run nice and is nice internally. Have a regular half wrap I can put on if ya like that better. Price is $475.00 shipped in the lower 48 paypal as a gift or USPS money order.

Sorry to see you sending it off. You were so excited about the saw during the build. I understand that plans change though.

The guy that 'trimmed' that top cover didn't understand the concept of a stress riser, or how to prevent them. Still...............that's a damn nice 288XP. Looks and sounds great. You've got 'er tuned just how I like them. Could clearly hear it 'honk' a bit (drop back to 4-stroking) whenever you lightened the cutting load. It'd run a 36" bar all day long without problem when tuned like that.

Somebody will be joining the 288XP club soon. Who's it gonna be?:D

Sorry to see you sending it off. You were so excited about the saw during the build. I understand that plans change though.

The guy that 'trimmed' that top cover didn't understand the concept of a stress riser, or how to prevent them. Still...............that's a damn nice 288XP. Somebody will be joining the 288XP club soon. Who's it gonna be?:D

I enjoy building these big ole beast much more than actually using them :laugh:.

I agree about the top cover....I've seen several on Ebay trimmed the exact same way....

As have I. They leave that sharp corner, and a crack starts right at the 'point' as it's a stress riser.

I sent off my first 288XP as well, but only after I got another nice one to rebuild.:D

As have I. They leave that sharp corner, and a crack starts right at the 'point' as it's a stress riser.

I sent off my first 288XP as well, but only after I got another nice one to rebuild.:D

I sent my first 3 288s down the road. I've got one more to build out of a box of parts right now. I do have a nice KS cylinder with machine work waiting on it to be put together.

I have decomp and non-decomp Mahl cylinders put aside for this build (and a spare....or maybe for a low-top in the future). My first saw was a KS non-decomp jug. MAN that thing has some compression, even with the base gasket. RandyMac has it now.

I am in the same boat,, I had one and stupid me sold it,, it was a sweet sounding saw too

The 288 is a great saw.kept one sharpened for a friend of mine last year.it was a lite model.was gonna do some trading with him but he passed away a few months ago.I should have had the old fart leave it to me in his will.lol

If you're not using the saw everyday grab a 288 and save the money you would have spent on a 390.

Because the 390 has better AV? Or is there more to it? I wouldnt use it everyday, or very week for that matter, just for noodling, good trees and when I feel like I need more woopow than a 372.
Dont know if it would affect your advise but whatever I get will be going to Randy so he can use that spinny zippy thing on it.

Because the 390 has better AV? Or is there more to it? I wouldnt use it everyday, or very week for that matter, just for noodling, good trees and when I feel like I need more woopow than a 372.
Dont know if it would affect your advise but whatever I get will be going to Randy so he can use that spinny zippy thing on it.

The better av isn't really the reason if you're running it all day 5 days a week. If you can run stihls with no problem then it doesn't matter. Parts availability is still pretty good for it. The 390 is a little more comfortable but nothing great. The 288 seems to have more torque than the 390 for the most part also.

The better av isn't really the reason if you're running it all day 5 days a week. If you can run stihls with no problem then it doesn't matter. Parts availability is still pretty good for it. The 390 is a little more comfortable but nothing great. The 288 seems to have more torque than the 390 for the most part also.

Now your talking my language. I likes me some torque.

Only stihls I have ran for any length of time is a ms390, 261 and now a 261. Truthfully I usually dont run a saw more than a few hours at a time and usually not more than a few days at a time.

Not so much a question of need... :confused: o_O

Looks like other are interested... maybe I'm safe for now. ;)

What's need got to do with it. You got 2 562s. I'd put one of them down the road and get you a 80-90cc saw. I'm sure you'd enjoy it :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back