Husqvarna 346 XP or 455 Rancher, for a one saw owner, which is better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I actually own and run both a 346 and a 261 in a commercial setting, I can honestly say that four of my hired hands and I prefer the 261 hands down over the 346, don't get what I am saying wrong, the 346xpne is an excellent saw, you will be hard pressed to find anyone better. I am sick and tired of the individuals on here who continually bash a saw just over 9oz, and have yet to have ever operate one, to me it is nothing but a reflection on that individuals character. People who are asking for guidance spending their hard earned bucks deserve more than information read from a spec sheet. My saws will see over30-40 hours of operation a week in commercial conditions.
In our opinion ONLY, there is a reason the 261 weighs 9 ozs more.
The 346xpne has a die hard following on here, for good reason, it's benefits are it's light weight/ power to weight ratio. In stock form it is not the light saber so many unrealistically describe. It does have great throttle response, it is all the saw most do it your self wood cutters would ever need for cutting no more than 18" -20" We do not care for the outboard clutch, the tiny little chain adjustment screw, or having to carry a different sqrench for it's bar nuts. It's powerband is all on the top, keep it wound wide open or torque suffers.

The 261 in our opinion only has a more robust build, just feels more solid, heavier by 9 OZ, we feel like it has a much more useable powerband, the saw really wakes up after 10-12 tanks, it's air filter setup is the standard by which others can be judged, it is the best I've ever seen in over 30 years of sawing. We prefer the inboard clutch, not as much crap and gunk gets built up in under the cover, easier to change out chain when you do it as frequent as we do. The captive bar nuts are a nice feature, standard sized along with the chain adjustment screw. Stock saw to stock saw I'll pay more for a 261 any day of the week, taking nothing away from the 346, as it is a good saw, it really boils down what you are used to using. The 261 build quality reminds me of the legends, the 044's, the 038's, the little 028's, the 066's, of which I've had or ran all of them. The 261 is of that build quality, no shortcuts to cut the weight down nine ozs just so they could beat a husky spec. To each their own, ready for the flaming, but my crew just feels like the 261 is better suited to a commercial setting. It is a fact that the Stihl Pro saws hold their value better than any other saw on the market. There will be one less 346xp here by late Saturday afternoon and another brand new shiny 261, it has proven it's shelf to be a perfect companion saw to the 70cc saws. I like XP's they as good as saws made, I've got a unique situation with a dealer relationship, if I were buying a new saw, especially a pro saw, I'd buy from the brand dealer that would give me the best support, regardless of brand. But to get on here and give half assed/ biased/ information based on nothing but prejudice is doing the members wrong, a saw is a major lifetime investment for some, the least we can do is give accurate information. Truth is the 346/555/261 will do anything you need, just depends on your personal preferences. Want to support made in the USA and American workers go buy the 261, proudly made in Virginia Beach. VA by a company that chose to invest in America, decades ago.

Hell, if there were still 299.00 EFCO/John Deere/Cub Cadet CS 56/156 new on the market, for a do-it your self guy, I take it hands down over either the 346 or 261 for that purpose, they will out cut a stock 346 by a mile and are built every bit as good as far as build quality. The air filter set up is their on shortfall.

IS, you had me 'til the last paragraph. Maybe it's the porting and MM, but my 2153 (346) will flat out spank a JD CS62 (had one for several years, until I tried to run it and the Jred in the same wood), and so I have a very hard time believing a CS56 could hang w' a 346/2153.

OK, so I'm out of town for the week and wont be able to get to my dealer. It is cool that he carries both Stihl and Husqvarna.

I am going to go try the heft and feel of the saws mentioned, currently the 346XP, 555, 262, 361 and the Dolamr PS5105.

You guys all have great advice, and I'm now trying to educate myself on chain types, etc. As a strict intermediate saw user, again personal use 1-3 cords a year, mixed wood types, I am willing to admit my lack of experience.

So it seems I have rekindled the very thread that I originally started reading on this forum that got me interested in these particular saws: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/163983.htm

One problem of course is just picking up a saw to feel its heft and weight does not really tell you much until you actually start cutting.

One things that indiansprings posted have entering into my decision equation;
indiansprings speaking of the 346XP: "It's powerband is all on the top, keep it wound wide open or torque suffers."

This is interesting in that keeping the revs up in the powerband is fine, no problem for me, but I want some torque when I am not in the power band, or I simple screw up when starting my cut.

It's kind of like the dirt bike 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate. Having owned a 2 stroke RM250, I loved it, great awesome and quick power response, but you had to be in the band all the time. Now that I own a 4 stroke KTM 530, I apreciate the easier and more relaxed riding style I get by having some torque to pull me out of trouble if I miss a downshift.

So when I get back from vacation I'm going to my dealer and see about checking out all of the above saws. Again I don't put much stock in just picking up a saw, it's really down to cutting and there is no way to make that judgment until you buy. Unfortunately I don't know anyone out here (SLC UT) I can go to actually run test these options.

Officer's Match, I was comparing stock to stock. The CS 56 is rated at 4.1 hp, dead stock to dead stock it would out cut the 346. The CS 56 when MM'd imho was very close to a dead stock MS 361.
Both the 346 and CS56 were set up with 18" .325 chain. If a minty 044 didn't get traded in to my dealer, the CS 56 would be staying with me. I've always felt it was the most saw I've ever bought for the money new, 299.99 delivered to my front door. It was a sawing little machine. It was also one of, if not the best starting saw I've ever had. The nylon mesh filter was it's only weakness. It was one hell of a saw for the money, with pro saw construction, for 300.00 you just couldn't get much more bang for the buck imho.

Handle the 555. I think it would be the best all around saw for you and it's got a decent edge in power over the 50cc class.

Officer's Match, I was comparing stock to stock. The CS 56 is rated at 4.1 hp, dead stock to dead stock it would out cut the 346.

I agree 100%. I am getting a bit tired of reading how great this saw is over that saw once MM'd and/or woods ported. That would be like saying you take two cars of equal power but then add 10 grand in engine mods to the first and this would be indicative why its a better model. Nonsense.

For example, you take a 346XP at $769 Cdn and spend $250-$300 having it MM'd and ported (don't forget almost $100 for shipping it back and forth) and you're at $1169, not taking into account tax. For that sum you can buy a MS460. Guess which saw smokes the other? I'm sure that I'm not the only one wanting to know about a saw as it comes tuned from the dealership. If I wanted to spend $300-$400 on mods I'd most likely be looking at a more expensive saw in the first place. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Mdavlee, I really respect your opinion, as you've give good unbiased reviews on the saw based on actual use, that means a hell of a lot compared to others. I believe it was you who mentioned in another post the 555 was everything the 346xp should be. Although I haven't had the chance to look at one in person, much less use one, my input would be pure speculation. It compares well on paper to the CS56. I think Husky will have a real winner with the 555, I can only imagine set up with an 18" bar it would be all the saw a guy sawing for himself and even selling a few cord on the side would ever need.
Hell, after reading some of the BS on here, I can't imagine how people ever but faith in what's recommended. It's like how many times lately you see ryobi's, redmaxx's and other wonder saws of the moment recommended, I'd be willing to bet most of those recommending them sure as hell don't run them everyday or depend on them as their primary firewood saw.

I personally like the powerband of the 261 much better than the 346. They are both well built, good runners but the 261 seems to make it's power over a much broader range. The throttle response is good on both, a 346 might be 1/64th of a second faster revving up, but I can honestly say I've never had to stand and wait for any saw to wind up when I am limbing, and I can't imagine anyone swinging one fast enough that it would make a difference. Based on the reviews the 555 has gotten on here, if I were the OP I would sure give it a good hard look.

The 555 really surprised me and my friend who ran it. He never thought a saw that small could have that good of power. He's got a plastic craftsman and a jonsered 2083 and he ran the 555 more than any saw that was there the last time we were cutting in his wood pile. I think it will do 90% of my cutting. A hot 70cc saw is nice also and was the smallest saw I was running until I got this one.

Officer's Match, I was comparing stock to stock. The CS 56 is rated at 4.1 hp, dead stock to dead stock it would out cut the 346. The CS 56 when MM'd imho was very close to a dead stock MS 361.
Both the 346 and CS56 were set up with 18" .325 chain. If a minty 044 didn't get traded in to my dealer, the CS 56 would be staying with me. I've always felt it was the most saw I've ever bought for the money new, 299.99 delivered to my front door. It was a sawing little machine. It was also one of, if not the best starting saw I've ever had. The nylon mesh filter was it's only weakness. It was one hell of a saw for the money, with pro saw construction, for 300.00 you just couldn't get much more bang for the buck imho.

I agree 100%. I am getting a bit tired of reading how great this saw is over that saw once MM'd and/or woods ported. That would be like saying you take two cars of equal power but then add 10 grand in engine mods to the first and this would be indicative why its a better model. Nonsense.

For example, you take a 346XP at $769 Cdn and spend $250-$300 having it MM'd and ported (don't forget almost $100 for shipping it back and forth) and you're at $1169, not taking into account tax. For that sum you can buy a MS460. Guess which saw smokes the other? I'm sure that I'm not the only one wanting to know about a saw as it comes tuned from the dealership. If I wanted to spend $300-$400 on mods I'd most likely be looking at a more expensive saw in the first place. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Factory HP numbers are of very little reliability to me, they just don't seem to play out in the real world. I got my CS62 for about the same money, and agree it's a lot of saw-per-$. However, I do not believe, HP rating notwithstanding, that it cuts as strong as a 346XP - stock vs stock. Maybe Brad will get around to porting the JD and we'll see what's left in it, but stock it simply lacks the rpm to hang with a 346/2153.

ok, so i'm out of town for the week and wont be able to get to my dealer. It is cool that he carries both stihl and husqvarna.

I am going to go try the heft and feel of the saws mentioned, currently the 346xp, 555, 262, 361 and the dolamr ps5105.

You guys all have great advice, and i'm now trying to educate myself on chain types, etc. As a strict intermediate saw user, again personal use 1-3 cords a year, mixed wood types, i am willing to admit my lack of experience.

So it seems i have rekindled the very thread that i originally started reading on this forum that got me interested in these particular saws: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/163983.htm

one problem of course is just picking up a saw to feel its heft and weight does not really tell you much until you actually start cutting.

One things that indiansprings posted have entering into my decision equation;
indiansprings speaking of the 346xp: "it's powerband is all on the top, keep it wound wide open or torque suffers."

this is interesting in that keeping the revs up in the powerband is fine, no problem for me, but i want some torque when i am not in the power band, or i simple screw up when starting my cut.

It's kind of like the dirt bike 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate. Having owned a 2 stroke rm250, i loved it, great awesome and quick power response, but you had to be in the band all the time. Now that i own a 4 stroke ktm 530, i apreciate the easier and more relaxed riding style i get by having some torque to pull me out of trouble if i miss a downshift.

So when i get back from vacation i'm going to my dealer and see about checking out all of the above saws. Again i don't put much stock in just picking up a saw, it's really down to cutting and there is no way to make that judgment until you buy. Unfortunately i don't know anyone out here (slc ut) i can go to actually run test these options.
mikellen,what ever u go with,take (2) saws to the woods.this is to cut yourself out of a pinch, been there done that.i have a (2) 254 xp in pristine condition,they stay @the garage and off i go with the 395 and the 346works for me.

I had a 44 Husqvarna for years and heated about three houses with it. Loved that little saw. There's a member on here that has 4 of them and a 346. Said he prefers his 44. I also have a 156 Efco and have a yard full of wood to attest to it's ability. Even though I thought the world of that saw I would take my 156 any day over it. I also logged professionally when I was younger and have been running saws for over 45 years.

When I'm looking into a saw I listen to the guys that run them day in and day out all day long. There's a reason that Scott at Chainsawr.com sells Efco's. Nothing against the 346 Husky. I think they're a great saw. If I had one my other saws would get much less use I'm sure.

I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums, and have been trying to do some research on other sites as well.

I'm buying my first "real" saw, having owned consumer grade saws in the past (Poulan).

I just put in a new wood fireplace and am planning on cutting 1-3 cords of various firewood per year. I have friends on property with trees of various types. I have a little 14" Poulan saw that got me thru until now, but I am ready to step up to a real saw.

After a lot of research I am trying to decide on either a Husqvarna 455 Rancher - 20" or an 346XP 20", The cost difference between the models is not an issue for me.

What is an issue, is the torque of the 455 vs the H.P. / speed of the 346. Assuming I am going to buy and keep just one saw, what would be the better choice?

I am leaning towards the 346, however I have seen some discussions that the 346 is with less torque might not be the perfect "one saw for all around everything" option, and that the 455 while slower, has better torque and is therefore a better "all around" saw.

Any help is appreciated.

I used to own 2 55 Ranchers. I now have 2 346xp saws. I never looked back at getting rid of the 55's. It was a no-brainer for me.

Latest posts

Back