Husqvarna 346 xp vs echo 501sx wich one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 501 costs over 600.00 here in Ireland,
but you get a good sugihara bar with replaceable nose.
I got the 16 inch bar, the 18 makes them nose heavy a small bit,
the 15 they supply is a lot less robust so I skipped it.
I think you only get an Oregon bar in the US and Canada.

Read up about the Echo 5 yr warranty, not a lot of
people have much success with it, unless your dealer is
on your side you could have a hard time.
I had a small Echo, mentioned to the dealer it was not
keeping tune, he said he would give me the Echo reps number,
I have no Echo now, I paid the extra premium for the Echo,
and was left to deal with a rep I never met, didn’t like how the
dealer washed his hands the very first time I mentioned an issue.
Sold that saw when I got it sorted on my own steam.
They are a good saw, but the warranty end sucks.
I buy cheaper saws now, and keep the money in case of repairs.
Makita work better from this stand point.
I hear you, I think I’ve bought over 250 new saws to date and I think I only went back with a Stihl pole saw as far as a warranty was concerned.

Looks like I reached a dead end on the 501 SXH.
The head office is in Chicago who in turn ships to Canada making the SXH unavailable in North America. WTF!

View attachment 772202 Wood to burn, roads to drive.
Looks nice, toasty in here right now too, just took the AC unit out of the window as it's supposed to be 16/25 tomorrow. I'm just guessing, but I don't think I'll need it again this yr:lol:.
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.26.20 PM.png
The head office is in Chicago who in turn ships to Canada making the SXH unavailable in North America. WTF!
Why not put an ad in the TP for a 346xpw.
Or do what Tim said above.

Looks nice, toasty in here right now too, just took the AC unit out of the window as it's supposed to be 16/25 tomorrow. I'm just guessing, but I don't think I'll need it again this yr:lol:.
View attachment 772211

Why not put an ad in the TP for a 346xpw.
Or do what Tim said above.

An xpw Brett?? ;)

That's a lot of money for that Echo anyway!!! (At home depot) And it's not even heated.

Maybe that fellow in Greece can get one?

You will be shocked at the unwieldiness of the Dolmar compared to the 346xp. But it won't be a high-strung thing either.

That Dolmar is an acquired taste.

Like I said earlier, Echo marketing is out of touch. They have heat. But not in Canada. Wtf.

I hear you, I think I’ve bought over 250 new saws to date and I think I only went back with a Stihl pole saw as far as a warranty was concerned.
Glad you had a positive experience, my best buys were from small suppliers,
they seemed to be able to see how problems came about and were fair in
their response, the bigger dealers were the opposite.

Sorry to hear the 501 is unavailable. A Makita / Dolmar won’t disappoint, as long
as you get the cat out, don’t know if it’s out of this saw,
but as an example with 3/8 and .325

An xpw Brett?? ;)
:lol:, you can tell what I type on my phone the most, dang spiel cheek :badpc:.
But yeah, one of those to go with it lol.
I had a 346xpg but sold it to Roger Barnett 13 years ago. Maybe I can pry it from his cold hands.
:dumb:, pretty sure he has warm hands:laughing:.
You will be shocked at the unwieldiness of the Dolmar compared to the 346xp. But it won't be a high-strung, temperamental thing either.

That Dolmar is an acquired taste.
Agree. Little bit, but the operator gets to decide just how much of an issue that is, temperamentalo_O maybe something was lost in translation mine run flawlessly. Yes, and a taste I've only acquired in the 79/7910's :sweet:.
Does it slow down in two cuts, sure did, probably lost a full second :laugh:. If I was running that saw everyday I don't think that would have happened, but I was running my ported 346 the day before.

Edited for reality...:chainsaw:
Not sure what you mean by that.
I've ran quite a few saws and really enjoy the 346's and anything built on that chassis but the 346 is better than a 2153 to me for handling.
For jobs I run a 550 mk1 and it will smoke a stock 346 in every aspect of sawing. Obviously we are limited to the amount of service we can do on them though, seems to be the only drawback(on the late model 550 mk1). I've personally only had a couple problems with the mk1's I've had that were both early models, off idle bog on both, the second one I fixed with the air purge adjustment and I probably could have done that on the first but no-one new about it back then.

Not sure what you mean by that.
I've ran quite a few saws and really enjoy the 346's and anything built on that chassis but the 346 is better than a 2153 to me for handling.
For jobs I run a 550 mk1 and it will smoke a stock 346 in every aspect of sawing. Obviously we are limited to the amount of service we can do on them though, seems to be the only drawback(on the late model 550 mk1). I've personally only had a couple problems with the mk1's I've had that were both early models, off idle bog on both, the second one I fixed with the air purge adjustment and I probably could have don that on the first but no-one new about it back then.
Yes, the Jonsered 2153 had the straight across handle unlike the Husqvarna 346xp,
am sure there were other small differences too, but it was a really narrow saw and to
me flipped and flopped very well.

Yes, the Jonsered 2153 had the straight across handle unlike the Husqvarna 346xp,
am sure there were other small differences too, but it was a really narrow saw and to
me flipped and flopped very well.
Yep, I actually recommend them to a lot of the guys who were more into the straight bars of the stihl saws, now though it seems even stihl has followed husky on making a proper bar angle :clap:.
The fastest stock saw on that chassis I ever owned was a 2153, bummer it was stolen from me :cry:, but I've had quite a few of them through the years and I think I've recovered okay :D. Although I could probably use another just in case :cool:.

Have you ran a 550 mk1, they handle even better.

Update: Makita Canada says 5001 is discontinued.
I should be their sales representative. I’d sell some godamn saws! Lol
I had some great conversations with the girls at Echo and Makita though.
Should we start another thread, can you tell us which girls
we’re the most satisfying, are they going to send ya a t-shirt,
are we going to get a new version of either brand in 50cc,
or did Makita actually mean the Dolmar version is also going.

Latest posts

Back