husqvarna 346xp VS. STIHL MS260PRO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know that this has been asked many times which is the better saw. I have not found what the vib difference on the handles would be. I know what the husky is but can't find it anywhere on the stihl. I need a new limbing saw. I currently have a husqvarna 359 I picked up for a sweet deal. The blade is 20" to long for the smaller timber I have to cut. Also any one have the longevity on these two saws. Any help would be great orginally was going to purchase the shindaiwa 488 but opted for the husky. One last thing I would like to keep the weight down if possible with 16" bar. thanks

epc, Yes this is a can of worms that has been opened many times :)
I have only used the 026 & 260 and like them both. The 026 has
been made for over 20 years and are still made today. So their must
be something good about them :)

Dolmar 460, 510, or 5100 for that matter would be awesome saw. Low weight, very high HP to weight ratios, very good anti-vib (see www.dolmarpowerproducts.com for specs in all these categories.) Very relable saws.

The good power to weight ratio only applies to the 5100, of those lised.;)

They all are a good bit heavier than the 346xp and MS260.:pumpkin2:

I know that this has been asked many times which is the better saw. .... One last thing I would like to keep the weight down if possible with 16" bar. thanks

The 346xp no doubt is the better saw, antivibe and air filter system are much better, and most evidense also say that it is faster.

That saw originally was consieved as a high speed limbing saw, and I don't think it has been bettered yet, for that application.

I can only give the Stihl side of this as I have never used the Husky but I am very pleased with the 260 for limbing, brushing and clearing. Plus they have a great reputation for reliability and you can get lots of parts for them on E-Pray.

attachment.php

Dolmar 460, 510, or 5100 for that matter would be awesome saw. Low weight, very high HP to weight ratios, very good anti-vib (see www.dolmarpowerproducts.com for specs in all these categories.) Very relable saws.

I thought this was about the 026/346???:confused: ...I have never owned a 346,though I am partial to husky's these days.I have had several 026/260's that I use for cutting big tops and blocking down big chunks,and they are hard workin' tough little saws.I am about to buy a 346xp myself just so I can do a hands on comparison of the two...My advice would be get whichever one you feel like you can get the best deal on.

...My advice would be get whichever one you feel like you can get the best deal on.

And whatever gives you the best dealer support!! I have run an 026 years ago, decent saw. I have a 346, it has had issues from the factory that I am still straighting out, but likeing it better all the time now. But to be totaly honest, between those two saws for general purpose work, I would buy neither!!! I would find a good deal on a Husky 350, or look into a Dolmar 5100. For limbing only, the 346 is the way to go!!! If you have a good Stihl dealer and like him, the 260 is a decent GP saw. Did that confuse you some more? Good:jester:

I would also like to run a 346xp with my 026 or 260. I run a 3/8 Picco chain
on both saws.The 026 wears 8T Picco sprocket, MS260 with a 7T picco.
Cutting 10" dia hardwood and smaller the 026 8T sprocket is pertty fast and with the smaller kerf chain and speed of the 8T sprocket it is very smooth.
Almost everybody has different cutting needs, what works for me may
not work for you.

Another vote for the Husky. I can't do a fair comparison since I don't have any of them but I run a 026 and a 353 and the is a huge difference between the two. The 353 runs so much smoother than the 026. Very very big difference there. Engine power almost the same but handling the Husky is so much better, the antivibe in particular. Suppose the update from 026 to 260 isn't very big, I would without hesitation go for the 346xp. 50cc Huskys are much more up to date than their Stihl counterparts. Or you can wait and see if Stihl launches a 261 any time soon. But with the 346, you can't go wrong IMO.

/Peter

Another vote for the 346xp/xpg
But I don't believe you will be disappointed with 260 either :)

Another vote for the 346xp/xpg
But I don't believe you will be disappointed with 260 either :)

But 346xp/xpg will still be nicer and you can get handle heated model too for improved comfort in wet/cold conditions....

ps. handle heaters are must over here...

I vote for the 260 . I believe there is some reliable 346's and some lemon 260's.I would feel more confident the Stihl likely would be more reliable judging by my experiance and observation. I have quite of few hours on both and I like some things on the 346 better but I like the powerband on the 26 myself. Mabe the 346 is faster,I don't notice it myself , I think I go close to as fast with the 26 and so far have less down time per hour.I am 48 years old and vibration on the 26 hasn't bothered me yet ,so its smooth enough for me even though the 346 is smoother. The air cleaner gets a few taps when fueling,but it only takes less then a minute . I have to break a few minutes now and then anyway so that isn't a big deal to me.

Among the 3 cube saw class, I've run Solo 651, 026's, Shindaiwa 488, Dolmar 5100S, and 346XP, plus many other older saws..... I like them in that inverse order......346 is best overall, then the 5100, but only because it's a fair bit heavier, it's overall design/ build is superior. Never much liked the 026....but then mine were bone stock, and now, I own the 4 other saws, which have all been woods ported. Modded, the 346 gains the most cutting speed--and its torque curve really broadens out as well.

346 XP with a 16 inch bar is a mean lean limbing machine...

Just curious as to the size limbs you are referring to. A limb to someone out west bight be as large as a stem in the South. Not trying to be a smartass just curious.
Greg Harrison

Back