Husqvarna 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a used husky 350 from craigslist this week....got it cheap so if I cant fix it easily,I will keep it for parts....I'd rather fix it though...I get it home and go thru the Carb since the fuel stunk bad...cleaned it up and reassembled it...compression is decent...passes starter rope test...it has a nice hot spark at the plug....it tries to start if you pull it real fast.....almost fires then kicks back and throws a small flame out the Carb...almost like it jumped timing...I removed the muffler and cleaned it out ...new plug..drained the puddled fuel from the crankcase ....it actually started for a second with the muffler off,it felt very soggy when it fired like the timing was way late...but again it had no muffler....I'm not to familiar with the problem areas of the 350 other than the muffler loosening up and the main bearings not being the strongest design......any help would appreciated ..Thanks in advance ...
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Thanks, honestly I didn't check it with a feeler gauge, but I tried 3 different plugs ..my eye told me all 3 had a gap in the .025-.035 range...I never thought the plug gap being a little small or too big could affect the timing enough to give these symptoms but you learn something new everyday.....

My comment was regarding the flywheel to coil gap. Try a new plug, if it doesn't work, check to flywheel to coil gap. You can find your ideal gap on Mike Acres's site I bet.

new fuel line and carb kit would be a good idea. ignition gap i believe is between .015-.030 of an inch.

Fuel line was just replaced, carb is perfect now , it's getting fuel....what a poor clamp on the carb/ intake..

if it is the plastic clamp, replace it with a metal one!!!!!! you have the carb set properly? maybe your ignition/timing.

Thank you for all the replies ......I'm tearing the flywheel off today.....

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Not to Hi-Jack this thread, but just for the fun of it, I decided to do a comp test on my 350 and I was only getting like 122. It runs great, strong and starts in 3 pulls. Is this normal??? Btw, its only had about 10-15 tanks of fuel through it.

Not to Hi-Jack this thread, but just for the fun of it, I decided to do a comp test on my 350 and I was only getting like 122. It runs great, strong and starts in 3 pulls. Is this normal??? Btw, its only had about 10-15 tanks of fuel through it.

the compression tends to be low expecially if it has a dished piston!

That saw isn't even broke in yet. That comp sounds ok fer a saw thats not that old, It should git better. Don't worry about it.

Just tore the muffler off for the fun of it. Everything inside looks shiny with the exception of som "brown discoloration" of the cylinder wall around the ports.

I popped the flywheel today,the key is intergral with the flywheel and it was in tact....the air gap between the coil was the thickness of a book of matches(one side),so thats how i put it back......im going to tear the top end down,i see scuffing in the exhaust port,but it does have compression....

I popped the flywheel today,the key is intergral with the flywheel and it was in tact....the air gap between the coil was the thickness of a book of matches(one side),so thats how i put it back......im going to tear the top end down,i see scuffing in the exhaust port,but it does have compression....

Gap should be the thickness of a business card.

Gap should be the thickness of a business card.

Yep, close up that gap between the ignition and the flywheel. My 371 manual says 0.3 mm, which I think works out to be about 0.012 inches. There shouldn't be much distance between the two.

Yep, close up that gap between the ignition and the flywheel. My 371 manual says 0.3 mm, which I think works out to be about 0.012 inches. There shouldn't be much distance between the two.

The 350 repair manual has the same dimension for coil to flywheel clearance..

I'm looking at a 350 on CL for $175.

Is this a magnesium case or plastic? Is is a closed port cylinder design?

Any known problems to look for?

They have a clamshell engine and a plastic case

Two problems with older ones

The ones without a front muffler brace have the muffler come loose and it melts the plastic case

Some old ones had a automatic compression release that was nothing but trouble but it can be plugged or a manual compression release used

Back