Husqvarna 357xp - 359etech comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, those are some crazy port timing numbers. I've never seen an exhaust port that low. Close, but not that low.

I was hoping you would look at these numbers. Do you think maybe I'm doing it wrong? I've checked several times, and it's the same on both ends of the stroke so I'm pretty sure of them. :dizzy:

It’s interesting that the stock timing numbers you got are exactly the same. But they are also very close to the numbers Brad got on a stock NE346

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=118591&highlight=port+timing

I'm glad you dug this up as I have been wondering if I had made a mistake, this is so close that I can be sure I'm at least doing the process correctly.

I've got the 357 cylinder cleaned up and the parts are on the way for both saws.

I will wait until I have the piston in hand before I make any plans for the porting on the 359.

This is kind of off the beatin path but how much increase in RPMs does one typically see with a modded muffler on the 359? I remembering reading a few years back that two fairly experienced saw mechanics opined that 13500 was too fast and they could blow up real easy. Naturally, they were referring to stock saws. But for the same token, I've seen Brad run a 359 on youtube that was turning 14,000 RPM with a 20" bar and many others (Timberwolf for example) even higher. Just wondering if the muffler mod allows enough heat to escape that the saw can tolerate higher RPMs?

This is kind of off the beatin path but how much increase in RPMs does one typically see with a modded muffler on the 359? I remembering reading a few years back that two fairly experienced saw mechanics opined that 13500 was too fast and they could blow up real easy. Naturally, they were referring to stock saws. But for the same token, I've seen Brad run a 359 on youtube that was turning 14,000 RPM with a 20" bar and many others (Timberwolf for example) even higher. Just wondering if the muffler mod allows enough heat to escape that the saw can tolerate higher RPMs?

Unloaded RPM increase is kind of a by product of a more powerful engine the way I understand things. Holding a higher RPM in the cut under load is what we are after.

Well looks like my replacement for my 357 will be another 357.
Had a long look at the 2159/359.
Sure would like to see a picture of these stuffers that live in the crankcase?

I'll try to get some pics of those stuffers posted tomorrow.

From what I've learned here, without porting there is no way a 359 can keep up with the 357. But I believe after a good woods port there will be a big difference in the performance of the 359. I'm going to the beach for a few days, but when I get back I will get these two together and we'll find out.

I don’t know if this will help any but this is what the lower transfers on my 2159 looked like. Since this picture was taken I’ve straightened the sides out a little more and widened the intake. I also widened the upper rear transfers toward the intake.

attachment.php

which beach?

My mother lives in Cape Carteret, NC. It's about 5 minutes from Emerald Island, and some of the nicest beaches on the east coast, IMHO.

I don’t know if this will help any but this is what the lower transfers on my 2159 looked like. Since this picture was taken I’ve straightened the sides out a little more and widened the intake. I also widened the upper rear transfers toward the intake.

attachment.php

Yes, of course it helps. This is the first pic I've seen of a 359 jug after opening the transfers. I intend to use a 357 base gasket as a template and port match the base of the jug to the cases.

Thanks for helping out with this thread, I have so much to learn and need all the help I can get.:)

I received my ultrasonic parts cleaner yesterday afternoon...the 357 jug is taking a bath in it right now...:cheers:

Just a word of caution. Use the base gasket as a guide but don’t go too crazy with the grinder or you run the risk of breaking through the corner where the transfer covers meet the cylinder. Also be careful around the lower screw holes.

Here are a couple old threads on porting a 359. Some of the pics are missing but they might be worth a read through.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=90913&highlight=359+372

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=107191

attachment.php

Wow Ron thanks for the heads up. As you can tell I'm a newbie at the saw building game. I'll be careful and most definitely will take lots of pics and report on my progress.

Well this comparison didn't work out too well. The piston for the 359 is still on backorder, and the 357 is already back with it's owner, and running very well. :cheers:

I got around to cleaning up the cylinder to this 359 today and under all the aluminum transfer was a deep groove above the exhaust port. :cry:

I'm gonna have to shelf this saw until I can find a cylinder that is within my meager budget.

I've got a 046 I'm rebuilding too and parts add up quick... if anyone has a usable 359 jug they would part with I could sure use one...

Funny this thread should pop up, I ended up using the jug with a scratch. Ported the snot out of it. It has great compression and runs like a beast. :cheers:

Neat, i'm glad it worked out for you. I am contemplating doing a Husky 353 and have been reading all kinds of stuff about porting and the like. These threads are really helpful.

357 > 359

I've been looking around for somebody to do a woods port on a 359. Does anybody know of somebody on the west coast (Northern California/Nevada) who can do a good port?

Funny this thread should pop up, I ended up using the jug with a scratch. Ported the snot out of it. It has great compression and runs like a beast. :cheers:

Well back a few months ago I bought a new 357. Then there was a ad on CL. for a 359, so I bought that saw too! This 359 is a great running saw. The 357 is slower but still not broke in all the way. Going to take both saws to a GTG and see what others think.

Well back a few months ago I bought a new 357. Then there was a ad on CL. for a 359, so I bought that saw too! This 359 is a great running saw. The 357 is slower but still not broke in all the way. Going to take both saws to a GTG and see what others think.

Your 357 should rip! Dealers usually set them rich and they need leaned out after break-in.

Back