Husqvarna 357xp - 359etech comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well back a few months ago I bought a new 357. Then there was a ad on CL. for a 359, so I bought that saw too! This 359 is a great running saw. The 357 is slower but still not broke in all the way. Going to take both saws to a GTG and see what others think.

If both saws are bone stock the 357 should be a bit stronger than the 359. The 357 has a less restrictive muffler and better factory porting. The 357 also has crank stuffers that reduce crankcase volume and produce a higher power band.

After a good woods port and a muffler mod the 359 can be made into a really strong running saw. At least that has been my experience.

[SUP]
[/SUP]
If both saws are bone stock the 357 should be a bit stronger than the 359. The 357 has a less restrictive muffler and better factory porting. The 357 also has crank stuffers that reduce crankcase volume and produce a higher power band.

After a good woods port and a muffler mod the 359 can be made into a really strong running saw. At least that has been my experience.

You say the 357 has a les restricted muffler I just did a muff mod on a 359 and just got a 357 and the mufflers are the same the 359 was a 03 middle and the 357 is a 00 model
Also have a question I don't have calipers or mics to chech the squash so I got this 357 does anyone think it would not be safe to take out the base gasket without checking this is an old thread but new on her and don't know how to start new ones thanks guys and would it do me any good to just polish the tranfer ports will this help also polish the top of piston and exsaust thanks

Tell me if read this thread right?

In summery:

1)Mufflers are the same and both are in need of a muffler mod

2) timing is the same in both saws

3) squish is the same

4) 357xp has crank case stuffers that increases velocity in favor of volume.

**5**) Open up the easily accessible transfer ports on the 359 and it will run right with a 357xp? Maybe even better with the extra added crank case volume.

A 2nd look at Husqvarna's site and I see a displacement difference in favor of the 359.

357xp = 56.5cc
359. = 59cc

I'm going to dig into my 359 and I am feeling real good about it if I don't have to widen the intake or exhaust nor machine the jug or make a popup piston to get results.

My 359 does have the cat muffler.

Though my CS 400 and both I my cs330t had cats as well. I didn't think those were difficult to bore out. It did eat up a good 1" bit after it was all said an done

My 359 does have the cat muffler.

Though my CS 400 and both I my cs330t had cats as well. I didn't think those were difficult to bore out. It did eat up a good 1" bit after it was all said an done

I cut a hole for a 3/4" pipe through the muffler shell and the partition.......braze it in and cut wood...

Most 359s have a cat muffler......a real ##### to mod.

I cut a hole for a 3/4" pipe through the muffler shell and the partition.......braze it in and cut wood...
What about this type of mod?
See below...

I poked a hole in the area behind the divider.

StevensNOS359023_zps62989c7a.jpg

Squared it up a bit.....

StevensNOS359024_zps2619bf56.jpg

Smoothed out the rough edges and flattened the seam.

StevensNOS359025_zps35b87149.jpg

Added a piece of bicycle frame.

StevensNOS359026_zps2a5cfcfa.jpg

StevensNOS359027_zps666d21d5.jpg

Did a little brazing......

StevensNOS359028_zps00d64013.jpg

.....and added some paint.

StevensNOS359030_zpsadcf04d2.jpg

On my 359 Etech, I hacked out the pipe that comes from the front half of the muffler, so the exhaust can flow right into the top exhaust port. also added a 2nd port on the side.
Removing the pipe was not easy without splitting the muffler.

Nice mod Clint! But I feel like there is a little more to be gained by removing the baffle and pipe. The aftermarket mufflers are an open can and work well. & just found out there is a oem euro muff that has no baffle.

Did we ever figure out if the stuffers in the 357 made much difference???

I'm gonna have to re learn all my 2T stuff. Dirt bikes, stuffers tend to be for crank inertia though they do take up volume also. Do these have a little mass to them or just thin a space filling?

Stuffers are just thin space fillers, I believe and They do tend to make a big difference.
I have a 359 w/a 357 cylinder and it made the saw a bit faster, but not a dramatic difference. I have been told that the stuffers would help me to see the real performance between a 357 and a 359.

Back