Husqvarna 365 vs. 365 SPECIAL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLOBOTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the differences between these 2 saws?
I would think the Special version has a little more of something to it, but I do not know what. Are there mechanical differences?
Thanks

My dealer told me the 365 was open port and the special was closed port design like the 359. He said he found out by putting the piston from one in the other and the saw didn't run well. Some cutters I know that use both saws said the special feels stronger.

That is good info.
But now I wonder what is the difference between open and closed ports? Ain't all ports open or closed at some point in the piston stroke? I have never been inside a chainsaw engine, but I have on 2-stroke dirt bike engines.

Open port refers to the configuration of the transfer ports, open like a channel in the cylinder bore surface vs closed which is essentially a tube alongside the bore with an orifice that dumps into the combustion chamber.

A thumb rule is that closed port engines run stronger.

Stihl Crazy, are you sure that the 359 is a closed port design?

Russ

Is this the same for Husqvarna 45 special?

I have the 45 special (bought new about 12 years ago). It is a tough saw. I use it for clearing some oaks in the yard. Is this unit a closed port as well?

-greenhobby

Never heard of a 45 special. There used to be a 42 special. My neighbor had one and it was a screaming little saw. I dont know if it was closed port but the suggested no load rpm of 14,000 makes me think it was.

I can find no sign of a 45 Special in the several different IPLs on Huskys web-site.
However , I do find that the 42 was named "42 Special" from 1995-02 and onward.

I think that the 42 was a closed port 14k rpm saw, and the 45 a slower reving open port, through their production periods, although there were other changes. The 42 had higher max power output than the 45, and I think the overall quality also were better.

Never seen a 365 before only a 365 special, which is what i have. The thing is a mean machine i've use it to cut oak with a 20" bar and it didn't bat a eyelid. Gone through 28" wide magnolia with 20" bar on it and that didn't stop it either.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
Never seen a 365 before only a 365 special, ......
What does your user manual say about power output?
According to the IPLs at Husky's website, the part numbers on the cylinder is different, piston is the same. It may indicate different porting, but not necessarily.

The IPLs also tell me that the "Spesial" has lateral chain tensioner, and the original 365 not. I suspect that this is the main difference, as it was with the 362 Special.

Last edited:
The special has side chain tentioning also has snap of air filter cover don't know if the orginal 365 had that. Heres some engine specs:

Cylinder displacement 65,1 cm3
Cylinder bore 48mm
Stroke 36nn
Idle speed rmp 2700
Power kW/rpm 3,4/9300

Spark plug Champion RCJ 7Y
Carb Zama C3M-EL2C/Walbro HD12B (mine has the Walbro)

Then I think your 365 is relatively new, based on the carb.

All the other data are the same as published by Husky for the 365 from the beginning.

This seems to confirm that the main speciality of the "Spesial" is the lateral chain tensioner.

Last edited:
Based on some older posts (2003) another difference between the 365 and the 365 Special is the carburetor. Supposedly the 365 had a Zamas carb while the 365 Special a Walbro. Owning a new 365 Special I can confirm it has a Walbro. I do not know if the older 365 had a Zamas carb or not. It also does have the side chain tensioner.

The 365 special is a nice saw. I love it.

asb151 said:
Based on some older posts (2003) another difference between the 365 and the 365 Special is the carburetor. Supposedly the 365 had a Zamas carb while the 365 Special a Walbro.
There are several IPLs for the Spesial on Huskys website. Only one of them (from 2002) says Walbro, the others Zama.

I am not really sure of the difference. Could be any number of reasons why they switched. The new 365 specials do have a Walbro carb however.

was searching for information on converting a 365 to a 372 carb and ran across this post.

I have two 365's from the 01 model year. These were purchased new by the company I used to work for and I bought them (the pair for 400) when they were one year old. One is a regular 365 and the other is a 365 special

The special was an 01' model and the regular was an 00' even though they were purchased at the same time.

The Special has the side chain adjuster, where as the regular has the traditional adjuster in behind the dawg on the case.

The Special has a semi transparent gas tank, whereas the regular has the regular orange non see-thru tank.

The special has a little differant angle on the front handle.

They both have the ZAMA carbs, the special is a S3M and the regular is a C3M

I was talking with my dealer and he said te 365;s are notorious for the off idle hesitation. This is from lack of fuel at the idle and midrange.

I modded the special, thinking it was better as some say it is a closed port cylinder vs open. The hesitation problem got worse, but if you ease into it, it runs very good, considerably better than stock. I upgrade the modded saw to the 372 HD air filter setup and saw no improvement in the hesitation.

I checked the numbers on the cylinder and both saws have the same part numbers, so that leads me to believe they are open port vs closed.

This may have changed in the 02 or later model years, but this is how mine are, and they have never been touched by anyone else.

The fix for the off idle hesitation seems to be to swap in a 371/372 carb. I am heading to a used parts guy right now to swap one.

I have a 2005 model 365 special. It has a Walbro carb in it. It has no problems with off idle acceleration. That may in fact have been the fix.

Aaron

Latest posts

Back