Husqvarna 372XP vs 372XPW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both very good, buy wichever you see on the shelf first

Yes

Yes

I don't know about the new strato XPW (71cc's). The old, non strato 75cc has a noticeable bump in torque over the old 71cc XP. I find it really close to a stock 460, but smoother. If you can find a new one, grab it. Mine usually wear a 28" bar, but a 32" works as well.

It is one of my favorite saws.

Originally the xpw was just about a wrap handlebar and larger standard dawgs, but around 2005/2006 they started using the 75cc engine in them. :glasses-cool:

It really is wrong to just use xpw to designate the 75cc ones, as older xpws are 71cc.......:soldier:

the xpw eats more fuel then the xp

That is logic, if it is a 75cc one.

I believe that most of the original 71cc xpws were used by those that they were designed for (west coast loggers), and mostly are wore out by now. The 75cc ones were "discovered" by others (because of the cc difference), and many of them may not be submitted to the same hard use.......

What many forget is that the xpw carries quite a weight penalty vs. the xp, regardless of the cc.

Last edited:
I have used both. I own an 04 372xp. But since it is a PNW version, it came with the dogs and the wrap. Using a buds newish xpw is what made me decide to buy it. The 75cc XPW pulls a lot like a 460, and feels like it weighs a bit less fully loaded than the 3/4 wrap 460 in my hands, but I haven't put them on a scale. His xpw feels identical to my full wrap xp in weight. Buried in wood, the 460 and the xpw also feel similar. My 372xp feels a tad less torqy than the xpw and the 460 with a dp. Completely stock without a dp on the 460 and the 372xpw actually felt slightly stronger than the 460 I used - both were well broken in. However, my 046mag with the dp certainly pulls stronger than my 372xp when buried in maple with a 28" bar. But not so much that I want to keep it. It's for sale. After a few hours on an 046 and an xpw, you start to appreciate the better av. In pine, they are close as makes no difference to me.

So a tad lighter, better AV, I prefer the full wrap to the 3/4, seems to handle better, and I prefer the bar mount set up, so I made the change.

I ordered a 372XPW from my local dealer today. The distributer said it would ship the middle of this month.

CAD strikes again........

Are you sure? i havent heard of any dealers having XPW's left, just the new X-Torqs. If the dealer you speak of has XPW's then you found a little pot of gold lol :glasses-cool:

................What many forget is that the xpw carries quite a weight penalty vs. the xp, regardless of the cc.

Wouldn't the weight difference be negligible if the 372XPW (75cc) is wearing a 3/4 wrap and small dawgs, like a 372XP?

Are you sure? i havent heard of any dealers having XPW's left, just the new X-Torqs. If the dealer you speak of has XPW's then you found a little pot of gold lol :glasses-cool:

Husqvarna still shows the 372XPW on the USA web site, so that leads me to believe that some are in stock and unsold..

Of course web sites can be wrong, but the distributor did tell my dealer it would ship the middle of February.

Still, until it comes in, I have to wonder...But I do have a backup plan, and if I do not get one, well I do have a 372XP and a 365 that could be converted.

Then there is the 576XPW. Maybe I just got a bad case of CAD.

The 75cc ones were "discovered" by others (because of the cc difference), and many of them may not be submitted to the same hard use.......

What many forget is that the xpw carries quite a weight penalty vs. the xp, regardless of the cc.

The ones I see are getting the same use and abuse as the original 71cc XP/XPW's.

As far as a weight penality, it is not much. I weighed them quite a while ago, when I still had a 71cc half wrap, and I want to say it was maybe a 6 to 8 oz. difference (just bigger dogs and the additional aluminum in the wrap bar. Side by side using them, I felt no discernable difference.

Husqvarna still shows the 372XPW on the USA web site, so that leads me to believe that some are in stock and unsold..

Of course web sites can be wrong, but the distributor did tell my dealer it would ship the middle of February.

Still, until it comes in, I have to wonder...But I do have a backup plan, and if I do not get one, well I do have a 372XP and a 365 that could be converted.

Then there is the 576XPW. Maybe I just got a bad case of CAD.

I think CAD is more like it lol. Good luck with the saw. Im having a bit of a mutant built myself.

Ya know guys, I just wish that during the time that the 75cc xpw was being made, that Jonsered would have had a 75cc version as well....could have been the 2175?..

Ya know guys, I just wish that during the time that the 75cc xpw was being made, that Jonsered would have had a 75cc version as well....could have been the 2175?..

one of my Husky dealers never heard of XPW. either that or he was insulted by me asking and he played dumb.
either way he played it so well, I think he`ll never be able to snap out of the character.

Back