Husqvarna 394xp Vs. Stihl 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 394xp Vs. Stihl 660

• Stihl 660

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • Husky 394

Votes: 59 58.4%

• Total voters
Aussie1, couldn't tell you if they are or aren't, never seen one in this neck of the woods. When you don't have good dealers you simply don't have distribution. Regional diversity is a big deal here in the States, it's the same with Dolmars in this area, you have to go 80 miles east to find a good dealer, therefore you never see any new Dolmars in this area.

Yep, fair enough.

As we've seen with the 066/660 and 394/395's it always come's down to personal preference.

Last edited:
I have one 394 with a 36" inch bar setup and two 660's with 32" inch bars on them.

I prefer the 660's because of their handling and power head size. They are a big saw that handles like a smaller saw. They don't have the spring antivibe so they have a more "positive" feel when I am dropping big wood, the saw doesn't "float" and does only what I tell it to.

Nothing wrong with a 394, but they are pig in comparison to a 660. Of course my saws are muffler modded so power is very comparable.

I'm sure it's regional but the 660 rules this area as far as the oak and walnut loggers are concerned. You just never see a big husky in this area. Some of it may be due to the area not having a decent husky dealer. The 660 comes proven, there are literally hundreds of the 066's and 660 around this area due to all the oak and walnut logging, supposedly we have the worlds largest walnut and oak processing facility located just west of Neosho, Mo. It is owned by the Chinese and they process all the walnut and oak furniture grade lumber and ship in to China. The size of the place is incredible.

I didn't know that they designed saws for certain species of trees? It's amazing what you learn on the internet.

ZG

394 ALL the way.
Better balance, better anti vibe, better materials used, Air Injection, oh and better reliability.
A logging contractor down my way did the following comparison of saws over a 12 month period. Out of 6 saws of each make his average availability figures for the year wer as follows.
Stihl 4.5 saws
Dolmar 5.2 saws
Jonsereds 5.7 saws and wait for it -
Husqvarna 6.0 saws.
Your Honour, I rest my case.

If I couldn't own a Husky, I would probably have to get a Stihl - sure am glad I can own a Husky!

Never run a 394 but I have two 395xps. Smooth as southern sippin’ liquor. Nice exhaust tone and will pull a 36” bar in hardwood like a hot knife thru butter. Great no BS chainsaw.

I've never ran either saw.

Send to me one of each, and I'll get back to you in a couple of years ;).

I`m sure the guys wil stay in line to ship the saws; just post your full name and adress and only good things will happen to you (I`m sure)

cheers

now just be patient and don`t forget to check the mail and shelter the incoming saws so the sidewalk won`t get crowded.

couldn't pick just 1 so I didn't vote, I own a 394xp with 30" bar, new piston and rings , mm, and no base, I love this saw, pull or push as hard as you want and keeps on ticking, I also own an 066 magnum 28" bar, big bore kit and mm, i love this saw also they both feel totally different my 066 may be a bit faster but it runs an 8 pin and 394 has a 7 I have been going te swith them to see how much it helps the 066 but for the set up they are the 394 is a beast, and much , much better to work on and air filtration so if I had to vote right now I would say 394xp:rock::bowdown:

Latest posts

Back