husqvarna 435 dumping oil, help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian.M

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm hoping this will be a simple issue but as I'm not too familiar with chainsaws, I'm at a loss.

I have the mentioned Husky 435, inherited from my brother-in-law about a year ago and I've used it a bit here and there without much issue. Had some more major work for it this spring and found that it leaked all the bar oil over the winter (no big deal, I understand temp swings and pressure changes). Filled it, finished my job and put it back on the shelf to find it had leaked all the oil within 2 days. Referenced youtube for disassembly and I just finished taking it apart, Cleaning it (can't abide putting something together dirty) and reassembly. Oil feed for the bar is the 1-piece, I've seen mention of a 2-piece style that caused more issues. Started it up sans bar and chain to verify oil delivery first, then fully assembled to go check for oil spray and cutting.... I need to sharpen, but everything was working fine for the ~2 minutes I ran it. Cut it off and on the 100' walk back to my garage I noticed it dripping. Turn it over and oil is Pouring out of the bottom. Set it on the cardboard I was working on, opened the fill cap to see if there was pressure release (no), put the cap back on and it has leaked every last drop of oil in under 20 minutes.

I get they leak a little, but a fill in 20 minutes? Something is Obviously wrong. The plastic oil feed line was pliable, no obvious cracks, no dirt/debris where it intersected with the housing.

This something that's homeowner serviceable or do I need to find some $tealer to take copious sums of money to tell me they can't fix it (or worse, that it's fixed only to find that it's not).

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read

Brian

Someone found a fix for a similar saw, the 346, involving a light dab of RTV sealant between the oil pump and oil pickup tube. Here's teh video:

Haven't tried it myself but I'll probably give it a try within the next month using silicon caulk instead.

Latest posts

Back