Husqvarna 440 and 345

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucksaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at getting my first saw for cutting 20 trees on my land (red and white pine) and to cut some firewood.
I found two slightly used saws, Husqvarna 440 and 345 and I was thinking of buying one as they are "like new" without the price (money is an issue).
I noticed that the 345 has larger engine 45cc with 3hp yet it is considerd a "hobby saw", while the 440 with a smaller motor 40 ccwith 2.4 hp is considerd a "allround saw". Just wondering what saw would be better for me? thanks for you help again..... sorry to bother you all questions of differnt saws, but I am almost there.
I was looking at a 2000 245 but wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for a newr saw. Has new piston crank bearings and seals.
I also seen a 257 with forty tanks of gas through it and can get it for $400 (cdn).
thanks,

the 345 is getting good reviews on this site. id like to get one

I have a 345,its like new,I love the saw,Its very light weight,and almost as much power as the 55 rancher,in smaller wood you cant tell a difference,exc its a lot lighter,and easier to start.Mines got maybe 5 tanks thru it.

Ooopps. . .

the 345 is getting good reviews on this site. id like to get one

Evan, I think you might be thinking of the 435 not 345. Based on some of your latest posts?
Having said that - the 345 is a great little saw, probably more robust than the new 440. it was of the same basic design as the 350.

Al :cheers:

If you can stand it go for an xp saw or a 359. I've got one running a 24" b&c does a great job. If you are going to use it hard the extra money for an xp will be worth it. The 357xp or something in that range will serve you well. We cut big wood with ours all the time and they do it well.

So you think I will be better off with the 345 over the 440? unless I upgrade to and XP.
Can't find 345 on Husqvarna's website? has it ben replaced by another model? comparable to?

Yes - the 445

So you think I will be better off with the 345 over the 440? unless I upgrade to and XP.
Can't find 345 on Husqvarna's website? has it ben replaced by another model? comparable to?

The 345 was replaced buy the 445. It's one of a new series that contain the following models: 435, 440, 445, and 450. These saws feature the x-torq engine.
However of the two saws you mentioned that are available to you in "like new" condition the 345 and 440 I might be inclined to pick the 345 (more power). If you're going to consider new then look at the 445.

Al :cheers:

Get the 345 - it is just more saw.

The model just was discontinued due to EPA, nothing else.

i just went thru my 2nd winter with my 345, i have cut well over 100 truckloads with it, has been a good saw other than gradual decline in power....finally took it to dealer it was running about 65%power they told me it was due to poor quality gasoline.( i always run premium)..finally i talked them into covering it under warranty..i also know of 2 other 345's with the same problem.both were covered under warranty. fired her up and she screams again..im sure there are others with the same problem..i'll be doing most of my cutting now on with my new 270C...god that 270C is soooo nice.

Friend just bough Husky 440

My friend just bough a 440 and it is a nice homeowner saw. But it has these weird choke, throdle lock and shut off switch in one. I don't like it one bit!! :censored: I am used to my '90's Olympyk 246F and my 70e Johnsereds. Older and more powerful. I kept almost stalling his 440 working on 8-12" white pine.:mad:

I have had a 345 with a 15" bar for a while now, it has a gutsy 45cc engine, doesn't bog down, revs like a wailing banshee and cuts like knife through butter. Excellent sprung AV system - place it running on a hard flat surface and it doesnt shift an inch, very fuel efficient and light in use - the air injection keeps the filter cleaner than many.

I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone wanting a single mid size saw to cut firewood and fell trees up to 1.5' in diameter - more with a longer bar but the 15" seems a good compromise.

Spud

I have had a 345 with a 15" bar for a while now, it has a gutsy 45cc engine, doesn't bog down, revs like a wailing banshee and cuts like knife through butter. Excellent sprung AV system - place it running on a hard flat surface and it doesnt shift an inch, very fuel efficient and light in use - the air injection keeps the filter cleaner than many.

I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone wanting a single mid size saw to cut firewood and fell trees up to 1.5' in diameter - more with a longer bar but the 15" seems a good compromise.

Spud

AV system is nicewith all them springs. But I guess the 18" stock on the saw is a bit to much for the power.

Latest posts

Back