Husqvarna 445 vs 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraditionalTool

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a chainsaw to buy. I have looked over craigslist as well as ebay, and in the end I come to the conclusion that I will be best off buying from a local dealer who can service the saw for me. I have a dealer not too far from me, but their prices seem to be over MSRP. Not sure if that is common or not.

First, let me explain what I want the saw for, so that will give you an idea of the type of use it will get. I am not an arborist, and I do not heat my home with wood. I am buying the saw to build a log home. The main purpose will be to cut the dovetails, as well as the mortises for the floor joists.

This is an example of the type of log work I will be doing with it.

pic%20from%20tim%20ready%20for%20header%20logs.jpg

When I receive the timber, the sides will be milled flat, so I will only need to crosscut 8" thick timbers, and to cut the initial dovetail. The timber will be 16"-24" wide, eastern white pine. I will most likely finish the joinery with either a power planer (i.e., makita or bosch), or with hand tools (chisels, hand planes, drawknife, shaves). However, if I can get a good cut with the chainsaw, I could leave it as-is.

While I will not be cutting wood day in and day out, I am fairly demanding of my tools and tend to "cry once and buy the best", rather than "buying the cheapest and crying for a long time".

With all that said, the log craftsman I'm working with on this project, and who will be supplying me the timber, loves and has about 6 - 8 Husqvarna 345 chainsaws in his yard. I used one of these a few weeks ago while I was at his yard. The problem is that the 345 is not available anymore, and they do seem to go for a premium when found. Oddly, a place in SoCal (I live in NorCal), Lomita Mower & Saw, has new 345s they are selling with a 16" bar/chain for $259, but they will not ship, only sell to walk-in customers...:buttkick: So, I think they are out. (if anyone has NOS on 345s, let me know). I've seen a couple on ebay, but ebay doesn't seem like a very good place to find a deal on chainsaws, the auctions are often long (6 - 9 days), and the saws seem to get bid up. Since there is no real savings, I have been thinking to buy from a local dealer who can service it if something goes wrong.

Since the 445 is the replacement and similar spec, I'm willing to get one, but the reason for my post is that I know that many folks are fond of the 346xp, and in comparison it seems like the Porsche, where the 445 is the Volkswagon, for lack of a better analogy. It does have a bit more power, at just slightly more weight. The craftsman I've been working with liked the 345 for weight vs. power, in regards to being able to wield it on a ladder to cut the mortises for the floor joists, and just all around balance in general. The mortises will get cleaned up with a framing chisel though, so I'm sure the 445 would do fine in that regard.

Is the 346xp worth the extra $200 for this application, do you think?

I have a fair amount of chain saw experience, having worked on a Xmas tree farm when I was younger, and we had all types of saws. However, those trees had very small trunks on the, since they were Xmas trees. I personally preferred the Stihls the most, but I am going to buy Husqvarna this time around as the craftsman I'm working with recommends it for this purpose. He also has some Stihls and Jonsered, but he just likes the weight/power ratio on the Husqvarna 345.

I will be using a 16" bar/chain if that makes a difference, and the one last thing that might have some bearing on the decision is that in the future I could use it for carving with a smaller tip'd bar, and in that case I'm not sure if the 445 or 346xp would be better.

In general, the 346xp seems like a better machine to me, I looked at both of them up close at my local store, and it seems better built, and possibly a better design. Is that something I'm not likely to notice in use? As far as reliability, are either models better?

Thanks for any advice.

The 445 is a homeowner's saw for what you are discribing go for the 346.

You can buy one saw a 346 now, or buy the the 445 wear it out or find it doesn't have enough of whatever you need and buy the 346 then.

The choice is yours.

I am fairly demanding of my tools and tend to "cry once and buy the best", rather than "buying the cheapest and crying for a long time".

Same here, and I love my 346xp w/ a 16" B&C. To me it's worth the extra cost.

Chris

346xp all the way.

get it broke in and the carb set right,you won't want to put it down!

The 346 will seriously demolish a 445 in every aspect, it's not even close.

:agree2:

Go for the 346xp, and it will last you a long time!! I think, in the long run - you are much further ahead with that saw, over the 445....

You like Pro tools? With out hesitation, get the 346XP NE. Try to find one that is a non e tech version. (The e techs have a catalytic muffler which really suck. A green gas cap is the obvious sign of a cat muffler.) Switch the cat muffler out for a conventional muffler if the e tech version is the only one available. Your new saw will thank you by giving you even more power and by living longer as payback for your kind gesture. You will be like Luke Skywalker playing with his light saber.;)

Ok, you guys confirmed what I suspected, I was leaning towards the 346xp as it just seems to be an all around better tool.

I noticed the e-tech models, and thanks for mentioning that, Urbicide, as I can live without the catalytic environmental stuff...in fact it seems they charge a $40 premium to neuter the saw...hmmm...that doesn't seem like a good investment. I'm going to be doing my share for the environment by building with logs, less carbon footprint to manufacture/build.

If I was completely broke, I might think about the 445 more, but even though I'm not working at the moment, I am not broke either. Just trying to spend my severance wisely to try and get the home built.

I see the MSRP is $489, is it possible to get any discount off the MSRP? As I mentioned, the shop closest to me seems to add a premium on top of the MSRP. I will need to talk to them to see if they can at least do MSRP, I mean in this economy if they can't do MSRP for me, WTF...:buttkick:

Is it worthwhile to buy local, or should I look for the best deal online? The web has changed the way we buy...but I want to be able to get service on the saw also...

Regards,
TT

Last edited:
You can't legitimately buy a new Husky online...
Oh, you can't? Do they need to be sold by a dealer? If so, maybe I can find one or convince my local shop not to rape me up over MSRP.

Can a dealer sell remotely? IOW, can I buy from a dealer online? Or are the dealers not allowed to sell online or something?

Regards,
Trad

I just realized, maybe my local dealer was pricing the e-tech version for me...that would make sense. I'll have to see if they have a non-e-tech version...and/or if that is in fact the case. That seems logical...

Is it worthwhile to buy local, or should I look for the best deal online? The web has changed the way we buy...but I want to be able to get service on the saw also...

Regards,
TT

In my opionion Yes. First of all you are supporting a local place that has local people working. Secondly if you buy it from them you have some sort of credibility if something goes wrong. If you buy it from Ebay you are just the jerk who bought on line that now wants his saw fixed. You will get better service probably from buying from them. I know money is tight, but you have to draw the line somewhere is that extra $50 going to kill ya??

I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around. I try and buy local up to the point that I feel I'm getting screwed and then I point it out, nicely and if they blow me off I'm done. If however they have their reasons I'm good. Just don't like being taken advantage of because I live in a small town.

In my opionion Yes. First of all you are supporting a local place that has local people working. Secondly if you buy it from them you have some sort of credibility if something goes wrong. If you buy it from Ebay you are just the jerk who bought on line that now wants his saw fixed. You will get better service probably from buying from them. I know money is tight, but you have to draw the line somewhere is that extra $50 going to kill ya??

I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around. I try and buy local up to the point that I feel I'm getting screwed and then I point it out, nicely and if they blow me off I'm done. If however they have their reasons I'm good. Just don't like being taken advantage of because I live in a small town.

Yes, $50 will kill me. I like to KEEP my money.

When you bring in a saw to get worked on, how do they know if you bought it online, bought it from a friend, moved to the area and already had the saw, or even just bought it from another dealer in the same town.

I recently bought a 346xp (non e-tech). I went to 3 local dealers here. (There are at least 6-7 Husky dealers in this area.) None of them had one in stock. One of them even asked me if I was sure that was the right number. (He'd never heard of that one.) 2 of them told me they could order it but one of those said he's even have to charge me a shipping fee if I ordered it unless I waited til he had an order which could of taken up to 3-4 weeks.

I had already found one on ebay and told each of these dealers that I had cash money and was ready to buy if they would just match the price. (All they had to do is eat the tax basically.) None of them would budge a penny so I called the company that had it listed on ebay (wise equipment). Paid $489.99 total including shipping with my visa card (and no state sales tax) for a brand new 18" non e-tech 346XP that I recieved 2 days later via fed-ex.

I'm all for supporting the local guy and was ready to do so but they just weren't willing to work with me even a little. Heck, even my Stihl dealer gave me a small discount on my BR600 I bought last year. (I would've bought Stihl but liked the 346 better than the 260 and needed a small saw.)

I think I'll still be fine if I need warranty work done on my saw. There are so many dealers here, one of them will be glad to get the work.

All that said, get the 346. You'll absolutely love it!!

When you bring in a saw to get worked on, how do they know if you bought it online, bought it from a friend, moved to the area and already had the saw, or even just bought it from another dealer in the same town.
Well, your right...they don't know that...but what they do know is that you didn't buy the saw from them. That in itself is a black eye going in for service, IMO, at least under warranty. Sure, if your paying for the service there is no big deal, all saws are equal and all will pay the same labor charges in addition to parts.
I think I'll still be fine if I need warranty work done on my saw. There are so many dealers here, one of them will be glad to get the work.
Let's hope that is the case. However, given a customer that has bought 10 saws from them, or your saw, I would hope they would service that person who has been loyal to them first. Nature of the beast.

I would be willing to pay a slight premium to buy local, and will pay tax on top of it. Keeping my $$$s local is kinda important to me, it's the only way to help the local economy. Yeah, it's a catch-22, but...so in this regard, I'm with Ske-Bum, and a slight tax to buy local is not going to kill the bank account.

That said, I might end up like you Scott, buying online from someone like Wise. I would be willing to pay a small premium to buy local though, knowing I can get service local also from the shop I buy from. Those people will feel better about servicing my saw as well, IMO.
All that said, get the 346. You'll absolutely love it!!
I'm pretty sure that is the case, and looking forward to getting one. Hopefully there is no problems after I buy it, so service will not be an issue right from the start...

Regards,
TT

pic%20from%20tim%20ready%20for%20header%20logs.jpg

While I will not be cutting wood day in and day out, I am fairly demanding of my tools and tend to "cry once and buy the best", rather than "buying the cheapest and crying for a long time".

....I know that many folks are fond of the 346xp, and in comparison it seems like the Porsche, where the 445 is the Volkswagon, for lack of a better analogy...
Thanks for any advice.

Look for an "Audi" the Husqvarna 353 non e tech(profesional bulild quality just not a hot rod like the 346) if the price is right!

50$ is gonna kill ya huh, exactly how much did you save on your internet deal?? I would be willing to bet I could get the same saw for the same GREAT price from a local guy. That isn't that smoking of a deal.

I like my money also, however a little good will goes a long way sometimes. It really does in a small town.

If you brought in for work, they would know you didn't buy it from them though and that is all that matters sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't matter.

If YOU are happy with YOUR saw good for you. Tradional asked a question, I gave him my answer.

Latest posts

Back