Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
I'm kind of invested in 3/8 chains, not sure if I should consider switching to .325, any benefits to this?

Sending PM, fordf150. Great support as always!

Took 7Sleeper's advice and cleaned up with my air compressor, glad I did. Thanks, man.

24 trouble free tanks of fuel. The Teutonic design impresses me. When cold, you pull twice on full choke, go to normal, pull twice, it starts. Not once, not thrice. Twice, always.

Regarding dealer support, I lost some non critical parts (last page or two in this thread. My dealer @fordf150 saw that on here, sent me the parts. That's how he rolls, I never worry about dealer support for my Dolmar.

Did anyone who owns or has owned both lay out the pros and cons of each? I know the 450 is a consumer saw with some pro features and the 421 is as well. I'm not a fan of outboard clutches if the 450 has one.

I found a barely used 450 cheap locally. I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle and extra expense for the Dolmar. I've read about their fuel line issues. What does a new Dolmar 421 cost from an online dealer?

Did anyone who owns or has owned both lay out the pros and cons of each? I know the 450 is a consumer saw with some pro features and the 421 is as well. I'm not a fan of outboard clutches if the 450 has one.

I found a barely used 450 cheap locally. I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle and extra expense for the Dolmar. I've read about their fuel line issues. What does a new Dolmar 421 cost from an online dealer?
cant speak to the 450....saw a few pass thru the shop but never paid much attention.

think of the 421 as pro saw with a couple homeowner features, spur drum and plastic wrap handle, instead of a homeowner saw with pro features.

$320 shipped is the going rate on a 421

Is $320 pho? I've read the bars are kind of junky anyway. Not sure about 3/8 low pro either, but some seem to like it.

I was seriously considering one for my little saw and was actually going to IM you sometime this week to ask about particulars. This has me thinking otherwise for $70 cheaper. I'll have to think on it.

This thread kind of turned into a Dolmar fan fast with very little factual comparison. The little 421 does seem to have quite the following! I have read a few threads on here where the owners were not happy though.

Is $320 pho? I've read the bars are kind of junky anyway. Not sure about 3/8 low pro either, but some seem to like it.

I was seriously considering one for my little saw and was actually going to IM you sometime this week to ask about particulars. This has me thinking otherwise for $70 cheaper. I'll have to think on it.

This thread kind of turned into a Dolmar fan fast with very little factual comparison. The little 421 does seem to have quite the following! I have read a few threads on here where the owners were not happy though.
As @fordf150 already mentioned, I see it the same that the 421 is pro saw with homeowner features.

I have 325 on my 420 (old version) and am quite happy. Personally I have nothing to lament about because my chains are usually quite sharp. At least the pros I sometimes work with mention it. That might also be the reason my "low class" saw's easily cut with the rest of the boys...

The bars are as good as it gets for a all in one package. You won't be getting anything better on a husqvarna, small to medium echo, etc. If you expect a sugi hara or tsumura type bar expect to pay 100$ extra!

To be serious, I donot see this as a Dolmar fan post thread. The guys here are just describing their experience. Of course everyone is on a different level of experience and if you cannot distinguish between the members, then one easily gets the impression this is a fan thread.

I would be interested which threads that were where the owners were not happy. Do you have links?

It's $320 shipped to you with chain and bar. I spent a lot of time research it and did not find threads where owners were unhappy with it; I'd appreciate links to the ones you found.

Insofar as "fan fest thread," I think that to you so much positivity is indicative of a "fan fest" but have you considered that

1. Dolmar saws are nearly always well spoken of by their owners
  2. There is not another 40cc pro or "semi-pro" class saw that you can buy for under $500.

Latest posts

Back