Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
Well advice is free, do what you want. I always have a tight budget, so my suggestions reflect that. Lol, one of my most dependable saws is a 70s Homelite Super XL Automatic. I picked it up for $8. That thing is nearly indestructible. It always runs.

I appreciate the advice but if I have the money, a new saw with a solid dealer backing it as opposed to Walmart seems like a no brainer. The chat I had with my local dealer about Poulan's "warranty" was pretty sobering. I'd really like to use this opportunity to "buy once, cry once" not "buy twice, cry twice."

My guns work perfectly, my computers work perfectly, my trucks runs great, and so on.
I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that they work perfectly because you understand how they work and how to maintain/repair them, and so you make sure they do. This is what I've been telling you - saws are fussy and no saw will be bulletproof unless you gain the knowledge to keep them running. It's the knowledge that makes the saw reliable. I certainly understand not having enough time, as I'm perpetually in that situation too.

My saws are mostly old, many were put together for multiple old saws, and most are considered total junk here anyways. But for the most part they all start and run well and reliably, and when some little thing goes wrong I can fix it fast, often from boxes of spare parts. But it took a while to get to that point, and it's not an investment many will want to make. Just like trucks or computors, you either do it yourself or pay someone else to keep them working, along with the inconvenience and associated cost.

In fairness to the Poulan, it wasn't new and so your experience is likely not representative.

Actually, I'd jettison a vehicle, gun, or computer that was finicky. However, I have the experience and training to pick the right ones and like you said, I do indeed have the knowledge to fix them when needed. I'll probably pick up that knowledge with regards to chainsaw as well. However, right now I believe that buying a saw from a dealer like F150 will help me actually work on my property instead of tinkering on my work bench.

With fordf150 on your team there is hardly anything that can deter you on your path! For me it would be a no brainer and I would get the 421.

As for the comments on "local dealer", I find that totally useless! How often does one ever really need a dealer. If you like going there for a coffee and a chat and proclaim it was needed that is fine for me, but beyond REAL pro's who work with their saw 10/5 I hardly ever see the need for a dealer IF you do your part on maintenance.

Well keep me posted, because if you find a saw you can use everyday that never needs maintenance I will be first in line to get one.

I'm not certain that I said those words, GeorgiaVol but I am certain I've said I would do basic maintenance and can find and quote those posts from myself if you don't believe me. I understand that you are saying that the 5020 can do the job and other saws aren't more reliable than that but I've done my best emphasize my focus on working with a good dealer. I also understand that you think I'm wasting money but it's mine to waste and to me, time is money. If the 421 or 450 keep me working longer with fewe interruptions, I consider that money saved. I mean, it's not like I didn't try to fix this 5020 and it's not like said effort to fix it isn't publicly documented for the whole world to see on this site.

Not saying that at all. Simply saying you don't have time to learn how to repair one because you have too much work to do. Means whatever you do get will be run hard and constant. So if you find one that does not require repairs under those conditions I want one. Keep me posted.

Well keep me posted, because if you find a saw you can use everyday that never needs maintenance I will be first in line to get one.
Typical demonstration of being unable to comprehend/understand what someone before has written.

To recolect, he is looking for a saw to cut some firewood and a few trees to change his property the way he likes it. This is light years away from production felling, with daily use, where time lost is money lost and the better dealers might have a spare saw at hand during repair.

Something I might add to the original question and answers. Forget the discussion about what setup on chaintype (325 or 3/8h) and sproket versus ring type, this is absolutely idiotic talk for a beginner who, no offense meant littlelebowski, has no idea how to correctly tune a saw and I assume also has problems getting a chain correctly sharpened with the rakers set a correct height with the correct tension, etc.! So littlelebowski you can simply ignore all that smart talk and just focus on a saw in the 40 -50 cc/2.5-3.5hp range with a 16 inch bar what YOU like. And after about two or three worn through sprokets = ~12 - 16 chains you can come back and we can talk again which setup you would like to try out. Any saw mentioned will be MORE than sufficient for trees averaging 1 foot diametre.

I think we have got side tracked here, he stated he would do the outlined maintenance on whatever saw he buys. Regardless of which saw he buys the owners manual will detail the maintenance and the schedule. At least every Husqvarna, Dolmar and Stihl owners manual I have read does. He has also stated that he isn't opposed to getting a saw from someone on this site rather than the dealer. So the question remains as to which saw should he buy, new (because that is what he wants).

I will post some information about the saws from Husqvarna in just a moment.

Sent using mental telepathy.

Husqvarna 440
  • 40.9 cc
  • 9.7 lbs PHO (powerhead only)
  • .325" .050 gauge chain
  • OM (owner's manual) details safety, operating procedures, cutting techniques, maintenance procedures, maintenance schedule and basic trouble shooting.
  • $299.95 msrp w/18" bar
Husqvarna 450
  • 50.2 cc
  • 10.8 lbs PHO
  • .325" .050 OR .058 gauge chain
  • OM (owner's manual) details safety, operating procedures, cutting techniques, maintenance procedures, maintenance schedule and basic trouble shooting.
  • $369.95 msrp w/18" bar
Dolmar 421
  • 42.4 cc
  • 10.8 lbs PHO
  • 3/8" .050 gauge
  • $339.99 msrp w/16" bar

I don't recall the OP voicing any concerns with emissions technology but to answer the question, yes the Dolmar PS-421 has a catalytic converter. :)

I know we are discussing these 2 saws, but why are you not considering the $399 CS590 Echo? It has been talked about many times on here for being a great saw. I don't own one but I want one.
I don't own am Echo chainsaw either :( *begins searching for used Echos* lol

Back