Husqvarna 455 Rancher vs. Stihl MS 271 or 291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Clarke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have about 25 acres of bush on our 100 acre property. We just moved here last year, and so far I've been time sharing my brother's Poulan Pro with an 18" bar. It gets the job done, but it's time for my own saw. Most of the wood on our property is softwood. The saw gets used for cutting down dead trees, lopping them up, sawing for firewood, etc. I might get one of those chainsaw mills too at some point as I could see getting some decent use out of one.

I'm not a brand zealot, so I don't really care what it is in the end. I want a chainsaw I can maintain and keep for at least 20 years. I want it to start and run winter or summer. There are two Stihl dealers near me and one Husqvarna dealer. I have very little experience with any of them, but I suppose there's a point for Stihl because if I end up hating one I can go to the other.

On the Husqvarna side, the 455 Rancher seems like a good bet for me. I imagine it's going to be good quality long term, but I just don't have that 100% sure feeling. Is this a good reliable long-term saw or am I having to spend a couple hundred more on an XP saw? The Husqvarna dealer won't throw a thing in, and the Huskys aren't on sale at the moment.

The one Stihl dealer recommended the MS 271, and thought the MS 291 might be more than I'd need. However, on these ones too I am not sure they're great long-term saws. My dad had two cheaper Stihls, and when he died my brother tried to get them serviced as was told to throw them out as they weren't worth fixing. Granted, my dad didn't do a great job maintaining machinery, but that's not what I want to hear in 10 years when something goes wrong. The Stihl dealer at least said he'd give me $20 off a case, and of course they have their "spring sale" on now, which they'll probably have on until their fall sale.

I'm definitely price sensitive, and I don't need to buy more than I what need to satisfy my ego. In the end though I'd rather spend the money once and do it right than cheap out and spend the rest of my time until retirement wishing I'd gotten something better.

I'd be very interested in any opinions to help point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

Thanks to both of you. I'll take a closer look at those options. I believe I'd narrowed down the Stihl side to the 261 a few months ago and then forgotten that.
The ms261 is a good saw, as is the 545. The 545 is basically same saw as a 550xp, but with a very slight decrease in HP. The 545 will be a bit smaller & lighter than the 261.

I have the MS390, predecessor to the MS291, and after a simple muffler mod, it's pretty good. The Husky 455 is Chevy-Dodge to the MS291, you won't go wrong with either saw. That said, if you can afford to upgrade to a pro saw in the same cc class, you'll be miles ahead.

If I had to choose between the 455, 271 and 291, I would likely have taken the 455, just because it has an outboard clutch, so it likely handles better, despite more weight - but I don't want any of them.
I suggest you forget all those, and go for the metal cased pro quality 545 or 555. Stihl has no counterpart to those semi-pro saws, after the MS341 was discontinued. ;)

I have a Stihl 290 (think 291) that has been great. I also have a Husky 460 (think 455), again great. Both are quality, so get the best bargain, that includes an extra chain or two.

The 291 is a smaller and lighter saw physically then the 290, and it also has less cc and a bit less rated power. It may still perform better, as the 290 has a very inefficiant powerband - but I don't really know how the 291 is. I will never care to use any of those saws anyway, and the 290 wasn't even offered for sale here, nor was the 310. Stihl Norway obviously deemed them "not competetive" in this market, and they surely was right.

I think Sunfish & Sawtroll have it right, the 545 & 555 Husqvarna would be best quality per dollar, along with the ms261 Stihl. Also as suggested above, the cs590 Echo is a solid value. You didn't mention having an Echo dealer in the mix though.

Thanks everyone. I can find an Echo nearby as well, but I wasn't sure they were quite up to an A+ grade. I'm not knocking them, but it seems more like the Echo is maybe an A- or A saw, dollar for dollar. They're probably worth looking at if I get a chance though.

I'll hit up the Stihl and Husqvarna dealers again and look at the Stihl MS 261, Huskvarna 545 and 550XP models. Husqvarna seems to have done a good job of getting me to scale up to considering the 550XP in a hurry. Well, this saw's "only" $100 more, but wait, this one's "only" $100 more than that. I'm going to check in with a couple other semi-local Husqvarna dealers tomorrow to see if there's another one more interested in making a deal with me than the nearest one was.

I'd love to throw a Jonsered dealer in the mix too to cross-shop those with the Husqvarnas, but there's no dealer nearby.

Thanks again.

I think Sunfish & Sawtroll have it right, the 545 & 555 Husqvarna would be best quality per dollar, along with the ms261 Stihl. Also as suggested above, the cs590 Echo is a solid value. You didn't mention having an Echo dealer in the mix though.

The MS261 is not in that league, as it is a pure pro saw with a high price tag, but also bulky and clumcy for 50cc + a little heavy, despite a plastic handlebar.

The Echo 590 is not in the same league as the 555, as it is much heavier despite a plastic handlebar and clutch cover, and has a slightly lower power rating as well. Regarding price, it likely is closer to those plastic cased saws that was mentioned in post #1 though, so surely an option if the budget is "tight". Heavier than all saws mentioned in post #1 though, unlike the 555.

Thanks everyone. I can find an Echo nearby as well, but I wasn't sure they were quite up to an A+ grade. I'm not knocking them, but it seems more like the Echo is maybe an A- or A saw, dollar for dollar. They're probably worth looking at if I get a chance though.

I'll hit up the Stihl and Husqvarna dealers again and look at the Stihl MS 261, Huskvarna 545 and 550XP models. Husqvarna seems to have done a good job of getting me to scale up to considering the 550XP in a hurry. Well, this saw's "only" $100 more, but wait, this one's "only" $100 more than that. I'm going to check in with a couple other semi-local Husqvarna dealers tomorrow to see if there's another one more interested in making a deal with me than the nearest one was.

I'd love to throw a Jonsered dealer in the mix too to cross-shop those with the Husqvarnas, but there's no dealer nearby.

Thanks again.

550xp likely will be the end result then, if you try them all. The 261 isn't really competetive, too bulky and clumcy + a little "sluggish" regarding trigger response. :D

If you are looking for a quality saw at a good price buy an Echo or a Dolmar. If you know how to sharpen a chain and you want the best performance possible, buy a Husqvarna pro saw. If you can't sharpen a chain and you aren't willing to spend a lot of time learning the trade, buy a poulan. If you want a saw that is a little pricey and heavy, buy a Stihl.

I currently have a Stihl MS290, and had a Husqvarna 455 for awhile too. The 455 is much smoother and just cuts better than the 290. The 290 is a disappointment to run in my opinion. It will be for sale soon on CL, they're more fun to sell than run.

My Jonsered 2252 (same as Husky 545) outclasses either of the fore-mentioned and cuts faster to boot.

I would buy a Dolmar 510 or an Echo 590 for $400+/- before I would pay $500+/-for a plastic cased saw. I have a Husqvarna 460 that I just fixed for a customer and it is a big turd, even with a muffler mod

Pretty sure an Echo cs-450 would out cut this turd of a 460 and there is one on the trading post that could be had for $250+/-

I had a 455.it was a very good saw with an 18" bar on it.easy to maintain and reliable. You wldnt be disappointed to have one of those for the money.my father in law has farm boss stihl with .325 chain.my 455 wld eat that for dinner with a 3/8s chain.

Back