Husqvarna 455 Rancher vs. Stihl MS 271 or 291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't overlook the 555 husqvarna.

Oh no, don't do that to me! Then you'll get me considering the 562XP as it's just a little bit more! Seriously though, I think the 550/555 range is good for me, and much more than I'm likely to ever need. Also, my wife uses the saw sometimes too, and the 555 is 700 grams heavier. I imagine she'd appreciate the lighter saw.

Sounds like the 545 would be ideal then...

Yeah, probably. I talked to a friend of mine who runs an arborist company. He said the model the 550XP replaced (don't remember the model number) would usually give them about 5 years of use. The 550XP is giving them 1-3 years, but said the 545 seems to be a little beefier. He also suggested a 3xx model, but of course I don't remember what it was. Looking online, those seem either too small or too heavy but I'll check in with him later.

The real news though is that he said he can get me a Husqvarna at wholesale. So I guess there's my answer. Now I just have to pick which one. Probably the 545.

The 550xp replaced the 346xp. Big shoes to fill!!!

The 545 is not more beefier, but doesn't seem to have the minor issues some 550s' have.

The 3xx series he's likely talking about are the 365, 372xp. You don't need a saw this large.

545 is the one...

Yeah sorry I didn't mean the 545 is "beefier" than the 550XP, just that according to my friend it seems to maybe be holding up a bit better.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your points of view. I'll follow up here when I hopefully have something soon.

I ended up ordering a 545 with a 16" bar. I had a brief fling with considering a 535 and then buying a bigger saw in a year or three if I feel like I need it. My friend said he's been hearing good feedback on the 535 and it supposedly is a "featured item" at the moment. However, when he got back to me with pricing last night, the 535 was a good $60 or so more expensive than the 545. With the 545 being the cheapest of the three ($100 or so less than a 550), it seemed like the obvious choice in the end. With a price of 30% off retail I'm very very happy.

I opted with a 16" bar just because my friend has cut in my bush, know about a million times more than me, and said that's the right size bar for me to get.

I should be getting the saw next week. I'm very excited! I'm off tomorrow to get some better safety equipment (chaps, helmet, etc.) for myself and my wife.

Thanks again to all of you for your input.

I would not buy any of those.

If ya want a Husq, get a 545.

If ya want a Stihl, get a MS261.

Both pro quality with metal cases and will last a loooong time.

The 545xp is $439 and a 450 is only $$300. Big price difference! One can buy several chains or accessories with that $140.

Just saying.

ETA: I had several windows open when I came back to this thread I thought it was recent. I see the OP got the 545 for wholesale from his friend. Awesome! You should pick up the 372xp while your friend is being generous.

I can relate to the OP.
I have a little bit more than 100, and only about 1/3 of it is brush and trees now- when it started out 90% brush and trees.
I stared with cheap **** saws (poulan, craftsman, homelite) borrowed saws (husq rancher, stihl 038 AV, echo CS590, etc), bought an MS170, which soon became a MS361, fast forward, I now have 3x MS361 and an MS461, HT131 and either an MS261 or 241 on the way soon.
No regrets.

However, with the reputation for the XP series (similar amount of fan boys to th pro-stihl saws), I don't think you'd regret a 346xp or 550xp- I use my 76.5cc saw the most for felling and bucking, and the 60cc's are set up with different chain combinations.
One wears RM for dirty wood, one wears RS for clean wood, one has a long bar with semi skip- they are overkill for light work and that's why I'm looking at saws in the same class as you now.

I know it's heresy and the brand loyalists will be pissed, but if a good deal pops up on a 45-50cc XP I will probably snatch it up. Hopefully chuck won't be too pissed at me.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back