Husqvarna 455 rancher2 autotune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very difficult to find the 455 outside of North America, something our friends in the US fail to realize. Yet it is the number one seller in North America, likewise with the MS290.

The reasons for that obviously is price and marketing (in the US). People either buy pro saws or even cheaper saws here, very rarely "homeowner" saws over 50cc. Stihl tried to sell the MS390 as a "Farm Boss" for some years, but I don't think they sold many. The "farm bosses" that people remembered was the 026/260 and 036/360, and they didn't "buy" the drop in quality.

The reasons for that obviously is price and marketing (in the US). People either buy pro saws or even cheaper saws here, very rarely "homeowner" saws over 50cc. Stihl tried to sell the MS390 as a "Farm Boss" for some years, but I don't think they sold many. The "farm bosses" that people remembered was the 026/260 and 036/360, and they didn't "buy" the drop in quality.

The reasons aren't quite so obvious and can't be dismissed as simply marketing, which suggests that folks have somehow been fooled into making an unwise choice.

I'll give Stihl credit for creating what we can call the "large homeowner" chassis with the original 029/039. You can throw all the stones at it you want, but it's unarguably been a colossal success for them, and the saws themselves have been reliable workhorses. It took a long time for Husky to respond to that formula with the 455/460, but the result is the same: A colossal success and saws that reliably do whatever their owners expect of them. The companies are happy, the customers are happy, and the saws just keep on running. Pretty hard to find fault with anything in this picture IMO.

And that formula for success is simple: A lot of homeowners in North America need something bigger than the typical 50cc saw with an 18" .325 bar. They want a larger saw that will pull a 20" 3/8 bar, but do not want to spend big bucks on a 60cc or larger pro saw. So, the answer is simply to create a larger homeowner chassis for these customers who need "more saw".

Got my Rancher II this morning. Looks like the improvements are mostly worthwhile. Lot's of different parts that will make for some confusion in the years to come when people come in and we need to determine WHICH 455 they own.

Also of note is the owners manual in the box covers and has specs for the upcoming 460 and 465. Both are 64.1cc and are rated at 4.1 and 4.4 HP respectively. That's actually a pretty decent increase and these saws ought to be a couple of good runners. (The current 460 is rated at 3.7)

The 455 remains unchanged at 55.5cc and 3.5 HP.

Got my Rancher II this morning. Looks like the improvements are mostly worthwhile. Lot's of different parts that will make for some confusion in the years to come when people come in and we need to determine WHICH 455 they own.

Also of note is the owners manual in the box covers and has specs for the upcoming 460 and 465. Both are 64.1cc and are rated at 4.1 and 4.4 HP respectively. That's actually a pretty decent increase and these saws ought to be a couple of good runners. (The current 460 is rated at 3.7)

The 455 remains unchanged at 55.5cc and 3.5 HP.

I didn't even look at the owners manual :msp_blushing:

Definitely some good looking numbers there. I was a little concerned with the different clutch cover, and different air filter. Those would be the two most common different items I could see being confusing.

Didja sell any yet? :hmm3grin2orange:

The reasons aren't quite so obvious and can't be dismissed as simply marketing, which suggests that folks have somehow been fooled into making an unwise choice.

I'll give Stihl credit for creating what we can call the "large homeowner" chassis with the original 029/039. You can throw all the stones at it you want, but it's unarguably been a colossal success for them, and the saws themselves have been reliable workhorses. It took a long time for Husky to respond to that formula with the 455/460, but the result is the same: A colossal success and saws that reliably do whatever their owners expect of them. The companies are happy, the customers are happy, and the saws just keep on running. Pretty hard to find fault with anything in this picture IMO.

And that formula for success is simple: A lot of homeowners in North America need something bigger than the typical 50cc saw with an 18" .325 bar. They want a larger saw that will pull a 20" 3/8 bar, but do not want to spend big bucks on a 60cc or larger pro saw. So, the answer is simply to create a larger homeowner chassis for these customers who need "more saw".
Yup, my Dad loves his 455R. I've run it a few times and I like it too - it's smooth and has enough power, and it's a bone stock green cap saw. I'd love for him to have an AutoTune saw, as I know he'd love the system (Dad may run saws and he's still burning the woodstove we got in the 1970's, but he's a retired Professor of Electrical Engineering and likes tech stuff). It's just that his present 455R will easily last longer than he can use it.

Go ask your dealer!

522 62 00-01, you should really ask your dealer..........your gonna have to go there to order them anyways.
My dealer isn't the most helpfull, probably would say he can't get parts or part numbers because the saw isn't available here. Wouldn't even call to get price/availability for a 550xp because he knew they weren't available yet ??? One of those guys. Thanks for the number

My dealer isn't the most helpfull, probably would say he can't get parts or part numbers because the saw isn't available here. Wouldn't even call to get price/availability for a 550xp because he knew they weren't available yet ??? One of those guys. Thanks for the number

550's are available in Canada, if he hadn't ordered yet will most likely be facing a back order till late february (unless for certain uses). 550XP w 16" H21 MSRP $739.99 CDN.

Oh well there lots of people on here willing to help.

Now we return to our regular program.............the 455 Rancher 2.

Wonder once they make a significant change to the model if it will then be called the 455 Rancher 2.01?

Hey spike any prices yet on the 460 465?

Not a clue. But like TK said, we could expect the same spread as on the curent Ranchers. The 455AT is $30 more than the regular, so we can take it from there.

Prices can be kind of funny when you have so many models. Without enough distance between them a particular model could wind up being a dust collector. The 465 will likely be a good running saw, but how close will the price be to the 555? Anything less than $100 and the 555 is a no brainer.

It seems like all I do is like spike's posts LOL :bowdown:

I know you'll get to fire one up before I do, I'm anxious for a report on it :msp_tongue:

455R one side cover nut?

So exactly what is the reason for the single side-cover nut on the 4 series saws fm Husky?

Last edited:
To eliminate the question "which do I tighten first?"

To eliminate the question "which do I tighten first?"

Now that's a real helpful answer from a site sponsor to a simple question. I'll sure keep that in mind when I'm shopping for parts. Didn't mean to ask such a complicated question that requires being able to count past "1". I'd hope there would be a stud or something on the side of the frame to keep one of the bar holes aligned while the real bar nut is being tightened to the stud. Is Husky saving money here on this homeowner's saw by only using one stud? Doesn't look real stable for all the torque and stress that bar is under while running. I can see why they sell the 4 series in the big box stores. Deal breaker right there. I'd rather have my neighbor's old 51.

So exactly what is the reason for the single side-cover nut on the 4 series saws fm Husky?

Sympathy for owners with low-t...? No offense, just a little joke. I really don't know, but wanted to point out that not all 400 series have just one nut. My 2012 460 Rancher has two bar nuts. At 3.7hp it does well for someone with acreage, better than expected actually. I can imagine the newer models being even better.

Last edited:
single bar nut Huskly

Jake:

Got it thanks. Seems I was misinformed on some of these saws. I stand corrected...

Back