Husqvarna 550xp reviews.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wise8706

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking into buying a 550xp for cutting wood. Have a 460 right now and looking into the xp's. Anyone own one and could fill me in on pros and cons please. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if the search function is working but if it is, there is days worth of reading on this very subject. The general consensus is they are a great saw especially with a muffler mod. I love mine!

There a bunch of 550 owners on this site, including myself, from what I can tell its about the best 50cc saw going. The 346 will always have a place in my shed. It will be interesting to see how well the 550 holds up, I have seen 10 year old used and abused 346's across my bench that are still in one piece and run excellent.

The 550XP is a great saw. Give it some thought before you buy though... it really doesn't like bars bigger than 16". If you need larger, take a look at the 550's big brother, the 562XP. Both saws are fantastic! ;)

Great information guys. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the 16" bar theory, I think it balances the saw out perfect where the 346 is balanced wih a 18", I will day either absolutely rip with an 16 or 18"

I love my 550. Haven't had a problem one out of it and I probably reach for it more than any other. I run a 16" bar with woodland pro (.325) on mine and it balances well. I will be switching to the taller profiled Oregon chain, as the Carlton can't be made quite as aggressive even though it has held up well for me.

The 550 weighs close.to the 241c and has way more power.I prefer the 550 in this size saw to anything. Way lighter than a 261...so the 550 wins and I love Stihl saws. Buy from mesupra and it will be cheaper than a 241c as well.

I have a ne346 and a 550 and I never thought I would say this, but I think i like the 550 more. with the reev-boost it seems to spool up even quicker than the 346. With the mm I gave it, no problem in the power or torque dept with a 16" bar.

Love the 550, Seems to cut right with the legendary 346, and does so with less weight and better ergos.
Mine has no problem pulling an 18" fine even before porting. Autotune is the feature that stands out for me,
I like that no matter what altitude I'm cutting at it very quickly dials "itself" in to maximum performance. If I had it to do over
I would have bought from a sponsor on this site and had him port her right off the bat and saved myself some $$$$.
550XP- 001.jpg

As of right now I have two left one very lightly used and a new xpg. I think I might just keep the xpg, I really like the heated handles and don't come by them too often.

Back