Husqvarna 550xp vs echo cs490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The echo looks to be the same as the shindy 491s which makes me not want it. Just cause I love echo products for reliability I knew something didn't feel echoish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That may be a first? Shinsaws are solid as they get. Getting a Shindaiwa at an Echo price and warranty is a win win.

I'll say this, the Echo is a stone simple 2-stroke. No Strato, no auto-tune, no proprietary unobtainable BS whatsoever. If I needed an occasional use saw, that'd be on my short list of desirables. Simple is good.

Think about it like this: for the tiny amount of cutting your talking about, the saw will mostly sit unused. Right? When you forget to drain it, and it gets gummed up. What will it cost? How much is a new carb for instance? I'd wager that echo will be much cheaper to "keep it in the race".

That may be a first? Shinsaws are solid as they get. Getting a Shindaiwa at an Echo price and warranty is a win win.

I'll say this, the Echo is a stone simple 2-stroke. No Strato, no auto-tune, no proprietary unobtainable BS whatsoever. If I needed an occasional use saw, that'd be on my short list of desirables. Simple is good.

Think about it like this: for the tiny amount of cutting your talking about, the saw will mostly sit unused. Right? When you forget to drain it, and it gets gummed up. What will it cost? How much is a new carb for instance? I'd wager that echo will be much cheaper to "keep it in the race".

The new echo is strato I believe

The husky cost 550 the echo cost $350. What is the echo I noticed it looks different is it actually a shindawia? I'm an occasional user I know probably bother are overkill for the half a cord I cut a year. My other saw is a ms170

One-half a cord a year, and you already have a limbing saw. Track down one of the deals for a refurbished Poulan Pro PP5020AV (or the 4818 which has the same engine) for around $120.00.

Or get either saw you mentioned. The Echo should you serve you well, but the Husky is more of a pro saw.

Cant believe it hasnt been mentioned but for the amount of cutting your going to do i think the 550 is a bit overkill. what about the 545? same saw but less power and a lower price tag.

Just my opinion but for the amount your going to cut the 490 would be my choice from the 2 you are looking at. Simply because of the limited amount of use it will see I couldnt justify the extra money for a 545/550. 1/2 cord isnt even enough to dull out one chain and split that between 2 saws.

490 appears to be a 500 cheapened up a bit but still has lots of pro features...roller catch, mag cases, rim drive drum. they are a very nice light weight saw at a great price. I believe they are a Shinny design. Have yet to make time to check part numbers and see just how many parts they did reuse on the new 490 from the 500P

550xp is definitely the better saw but as mentioned it's way more saw than you need. I would actually encourage you to look at either a cs-400 or 450p. With a little tuning either would walk away from the 490 in performance. Based on customer review and my own experience I just don't have that much love for the Shindaiwa 50cc design. They certainly hit a home run on their 60cc saws but I wish Echo would have stuck with their own 530 for a 50cc saw. The 490 is certainly a solid, reliable saw for a great price, and I continue to sell quite a few. But it's performance leaves much to be desired.

The 4000 4500 Echo is a older saw with nothing in common with the newer CS510 520 530 or the CS500p or 490. WSE is right I'd be getting a CS400 which is another home run for Echo, I'd much rather use a muff modded and tuned CS400 than the Shinny designed CS500p which s also muff modded. Cs400 saws come with me to the mill, the CS500p sits in the truck. Steve

Lotta 500 hate here. I will add that i really like mine, and it seemed to really gain power after 10 or so tanks. Its my main firewood saw, cranks easy and handles well. Your mileage may vary but i would buy another Echo. But id also buy another Husky.

Lotta 500 hate here. I will add that i really like mine, and it seemed to really gain power after 10 or so tanks. Its my main firewood saw, cranks easy and handles well. Your mileage may vary but i would buy another Echo. But id also buy another Husky.

May there's hope for mine as I only have 5 tanks or so run through it. Steve

Well I'll tell you the cs400 I love I've had 3 of them always just get sold when I need money never had a single problem with any of the 20 probably echos I've owned they are pretty weak saws though had a ms251 easy start thing was a bit to heavy for me I love the ms250s hoping to buy a new one while they still around they seem to stop being made last year then came back for this 299 deal love how light they are the echos it's like a Toyota Corolla your probably not gonna break it but it's very boring

I can't put my 2 cents in yet but I will. Lol. I received this from a customer. I see a lot of potential in this little light weight saw. Enough that I went and bought another one to do a build thread on when I get some time. Op I know you didn't ask about these but you may look into a 421 or 5105 dolmar as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Attachments

• 20151012_185639.jpg
    20151012_185639.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 75
I can't put my 2 cents in yet but I will. Lol. I received this from a customer. I see a lot of potential in this little light weight saw. Enough that I went and bought another one to do a build thread on when I get some time. Op I know you didn't ask about these but you may look into a 421 or 5105 dolmar as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.
What model is it? I've been thinking about grabbing a 490.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back