Husqvarna 550xp vs echo cs490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What model is it? I've been thinking about grabbing a 490.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Cs-500p. From what I've been told the 500 and 490 are the same saw. The handle bar and clutch bell is the only difference.

Haven't run a 550 but my 490 after muffler mod and limiter removal isn't to far behind my first gen stock stihl 261 quite a bit lighter too.

Some misinformation in this thread needs to be cleared up, the current Echo CS-490 and CS-500P were based off the Shindaiwa 446s which came out pre-merger back around 2007. It was a 46cc that was like all Shindaiwa saws were, rock solid, lightweight and quality built, but not exactly a screamer. I owned a 446s that I ported myself, turned it into a downright impressive machine. A 50cc Shindaiwa version called a 452s was in the works but never got released in the US before the 2009 merge with Echo. At the time, Shindaiwa had a chainsaw model 490, which was an updated version of their 488 and had nothing in common with the 446s or the current Echo CS-500P/CS-490. There was a couple years gap before Echo reintroduced the series as the 50cc CS-500P in 2011 and now the reduced cost CS-490. With the recent re-introduction of Shindaiwa branded chainsaws, the Echo CS-490 can be found (colored red and branded for Shindaiwa) in the Shindaiwa lineup as a CS-491.
Regarding the CS-490 vs CS-500P, I haven't gone over the IPL's in detail but other than the obvious and previously mentioned differences (handle, stock bar/chain), they do share the same piston & cylinder. They come with a very restrictive (but very quiet) muffler, so considerable gains can be had with a simple muffler mod.

Grack
Whats your assessment of that 490 ? I'm looking real hard at one. I intend to use it for limbing and 12" and under bucking.I intend to run it with a 16" bar.
I was also considering a dolmar ps421 and echo cs 400 .I realize they're not the same cc but I'm tryinv to keep the weight down

Local dealer also told me I needed a Jonsered 2152$$$$ he then recomended an efco mt 4400 I've not seen anything about efco on this site .

but never got released in the US before the 2009 merge with Echo.
I note you choose the word merger while if I recall correctly purchased or bought seems more common around here. Echo is really the name of the product in this area but does merger mean company a gets stock in company b? Where sell/bought means they get money and have to pay capital gains taxes if they made a profit? Of course there is a combination possibility and secrecy if they are not publicly traded.

I switched mine over to 3/8 18 inch bar it comes with .325 it had a 20 inch bar on it and it cut fine I cut mostly 14 inch and larger hardwood and just wanted my bar and pitch the same with my other saws it's very quiet stock and plugged up once I pulled the limiters and the tube in the muffler and cut the deflector back and retuned it really woke up I use this saw the most after my neighbor tried it he bought one need to weigh it but its light for a 50cc that I've used.

Grack
Whats your assessment of that 490 ? I'm looking real hard at one. I intend to use it for limbing and 12" and under bucking.I intend to run it with a 16" bar.
I was also considering a dolmar ps421 and echo cs 400 .I realize they're not the same cc but I'm tryinv to keep the weight down

Owning both saw I'd get the CS400 muff modd and tune it, with the lopro chain it cuts real close to the CS500 I have and the CS400 is going to be the lightest, ready to cut they weigh 13# even, the CS500p weighs 14 1/2# and I haven't weighed the Dolmar 421 but have heard they are heavy. Steve

Is the 400 in the video stock or modded?[/QUOTE]. I added a muffler mod,carb adjustment and replaced the 18in bar with a 14in I had laying around.

Anyone know what chain comes stock on the 550xp? As in home owner or pro chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes that depends on the dealer. Some will just equip it with what the customer wants.
At least that's how my dealer does it.

Not sure how husky is but the jred equivalent(2253) comes PHO set up for .325 so bar and chain is up to the customer/dealer

D
I switched mine over to 3/8 18 inch bar it comes with .325 it had a 20 inch bar on it and it cut fine I cut mostly 14 inch and larger hardwood and just wanted my bar and pitch the same with my other saws it's very quiet stock and plugged up once I pulled the limiters and the tube in the muffler and cut the deflector back and retuned it really woke up I use this saw the most after my neighbor tried it he bought one need to weigh it but its light for a 50cc that I've used.
id you use echo parts for that conversion??

D

id you use echo parts for that conversion??
I used a small spline 3/8 stihl rim from my stihl dealer and a small mount husky total bar oils great I don't know which stihl saw maybe someone here knows.

Owning both saw I'd get the CS400 muff modd and tune it, with the lopro chain it cuts real close to the CS500 I have and the CS400 is going to be the lightest, ready to cut they weigh 13# even, the CS500p weighs 14 1/2# and I haven't weighed the Dolmar 421 but have heard they are heavy. Steve
I have a MM'ed CS400 and a 421. The 421 will send a 400 home and probably take its bigger brother along too. I really like my Echo's, but they're not in the same playground as the little Dolmar. The Dolmar is listed as 11 oz. heavier than the CS-400 by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back