Husqvarna 555 vs Echo CS 590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory2327

Reaction score
Looking at buying a new saw and hoping to get some opinions and experiences of others. I have been running a 357xp with a 20” bar and really liked it but it needs a decent amount of work and not sure if it is worth it. Looking at getting a reliable saw for felling trees on my property and bucking up 5-10 cord of firewood per year. Want something light, powerful, fun to use and dependable with out a lot of fuss. I‘’m not a total dope with machine repair, but not too far off. Really like the idea of a 555 especially with the auto tune, but is it worth $250.00 more than a $400.00 CS-590? I am trying to be cost conscious. Welcome all experiences and opinions.

Well I’ve ran them both extensively. Pros and cons of each in my experience.

ECHO CS590
pros
Reliable
Easy to work on/modify
Easy to start
Easy parts availability
Loads of torque (like big block amounts)
Best bang for the buck on a new saw out there
AV is great
wide clutch cover
There is more but those are the big ones

cons
70 DL chains unless you slap on a common bar
Spur sprocket
A little heavy
Plastic clutch cover

HUSQVARNA 555
Pros
Light weight
Auto tune
Rim sprocket
Standard bar/chain
Reliable
Even better AV

cons
Starting process ie primer bulb
Takes forever to break in
Outboard clutch

So they are both choked up from the factory the Echo more so. At the bare minimum delete the tabs on the carb adjustment caps so you can tune it correctly. With a muffler mod and base gasket delete it will flat out run circles around a lot of saws.

The outboard clutch on the 555 drove me nuts. Its for better felling balance. It wants to tip over on the clutch side for felling and limbing. It is more maneuverable but every time I set it down to move something I would reach to pick it up and it’s laying on the clutch side. It made chain changes a ***** and it clogged like a gas station toilet when noodling. It has a very restrictive muffler too like the Echo. Both benefit greatly from just a muffler mod.

So in summery in my opinion the Echo is a better firewood/bucking saw and the Husqvarna is a better felling/limbing saw.

The auto tune is nice especially if one is not familiar with tuning a saw. It's also a pain if it gives you trouble.....
I really like my 555 and have tried (at least ran other 60cc saws) and it's still my pick. It does have more pro features than the 590 but those Echo's really are great saws for the money. Handle both if u can and that may help. Included some pics of the 555.
7adfce5aca1aa0576824dbc213ae5a65.jpg
56b3e46a7baacf645d224c0f698cab77.jpg
5a1464d8b76fa8bc35c7acf9f37826bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I have both a Husky 555 and an Echo CS490 (smaller brother to the 590). Both are nice saws, and have their pro/ cons as previously mentioned. Not to knock the 555, but I think the CS590 or CS620P will get you roughly the same performance for less money.

I fixed stripped out plug threads on a 590 and ran it a fair amount. I think it is a excellent saw for the value. It is a bit bulky but I think well built. You will need to tune it when ya get it and do a very small muff mod. (there are threads) can't open em up too much case get pretty loud. No rim drive ...kinds a flimsy bar ...I get it run it some a change it out. 555 has ben discussed all over the place pros and cons yes prob a better saw but better for what your doing....? Been a while sine I ran a 357xp but that saw in good condition should keep up or put at least one of those saws on the shelf....
good luck
the can

OP, If you do buy an Echo get it from an actual Echo dealer. Skip Home Depot or the big box stores. Have the dealer fuel it, test run and tune for your conditions. Just helps to stack the odds in your favor if you ever need the warranty.

About $100 last I checked. The 562 has the rev boost feature and a stuffer crank. The 555 isn't as high strung. Little lower hp and probably a bit wider torque curve.

Id rather bury the bar and let her eat.
What's the price difference from the 555 to the 562? If you're looking for a 60cc saw that's fun to use, I think that might be the best option.

I'm no help with your purchase but will gladly help you dispose of that old 357 if you let me cover the shipping. I have room for it to get plenty of exercise and promise to only feed it the best non E fuel mix.

I’m a die hard Husky guy, but for the price difference it’s hard to not pick the 590. If $$ aren’t an issue step up the 562.

590’s are listed NIB for well under $400 shipped on eBay. Check with member spike60 for Husky prices, I would be willing to bet you can get a 562 from him for about what a 555 costs retail.

All of my large mount saws now wear Stihl pattern bars with bar adaptor. The Husqvarna pattern bar adaptor will also work on the Echo bar studs. That way you can get the more common (and usually cheaper) 72 link chains.

Well I’ve ran them both extensively. Pros and cons of each in my experience.

ECHO CS590
pros
Reliable
Easy to work on/modify
Easy to start
Easy parts availability
Loads of torque (like big block amounts)
Best bang for the buck on a new saw out there
AV is great
wide clutch cover
There is more but those are the big ones

cons
70 DL chains unless you slap on a common bar
Spur sprocket
A little heavy
Plastic clutch cover

HUSQVARNA 555
Pros
Light weight
Auto tune
Rim sprocket
Standard bar/chain
Reliable
Even better AV

cons
Starting process ie primer bulb
Takes forever to break in
Outboard clutch

So they are both choked up from the factory the Echo more so. At the bare minimum delete the tabs on the carb adjustment caps so you can tune it correctly. With a muffler mod and base gasket delete it will flat out run circles around a lot of saws.

The outboard clutch on the 555 drove me nuts. Its for better felling balance. It wants to tip over on the clutch side for felling and limbing. It is more maneuverable but every time I set it down to move something I would reach to pick it up and it’s laying on the clutch side. It made chain changes a ***** and it clogged like a gas station toilet when noodling. It has a very restrictive muffler too like the Echo. Both benefit greatly from just a muffler mod.

So in summery in my opinion the Echo is a better firewood/bucking saw and the Husqvarna is a better felling/limbing saw.
I agree with everything you say except I question the Echo parts availability? I’ve never seen Echo parts that weren’t full price and even picking up used plastics on eBay costs an arm and a leg.

I agree with everything you say except I question the Echo parts availability? I’ve never seen Echo parts that weren’t full price and even picking up used plastics on eBay costs an arm and a leg.
I found a website a few years ago that had oem parts for a fair price. I’ll see I’m I can find it again. I got a cs600 outer dawg/spike for about 16 bucks shipped.

Latest posts

Back